Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dealer-to-Dealer transactions.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I hope some notable dealers will join in to give an honest number, or at least one that resembles their perceived understanding of the question as posed. So, here goes-------At any show, but especially a major show like the just concluded F.U.N. Show, what percentage of the total sales transactions do you believe are between dealers??

Thanks.

Al H.image

Comments

• depends on what dealer you are taking about.

for me I would say roughly 60% are with other dealers.
  • 50-65% before the show.

Cameron Kiefer
  • TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    For Us its around 80% dealer to dealer at shows. Internet and mail order is 10% dealer to dealer.

TBT
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, this isn't a trick question!!! i'm talking overall, from dealer set-up till show close, between all dealers, either behind a table or walking the floor. what percentage of transactions do you perceive as being Dealer-To-Dealer??

al h.image
  • RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Less than 100%.
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    From my limited experience (2 regional, 4 day shows, and a half a dozen or so single day local shows) last year, I can confidently say at least 80% of sales are to dealers.
    At both regional/multiday shows, I did more business on Thursday evening and Friday a.m before the general public walked in, than I did the rest of the show.
    Even at the local one day shows, I arrive between 7 and 7:30, and do the bulk of my transactions before anyone walks through the door at 9.
    I also do quite a bit of dealer transactions with my Ebay listings, which I tend to find a bit odd, but I think what happens is that if dealer X has a customer for coin X, and it doesn't come around all that often, then that dealer will persue the coin, no matter the venue.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Depending on the show about 50-75% dealer to dealer.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i ain't no dealer, but it's gotta be 90%

K S
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The large shows are essentially dealer wholesale events. This is nothing new. In my one experience in setting up at a major show (the Memphis IPMS in 1990) at least 90% of my sales were to dealers. I suspect that a very high percentage of most large dealers best customers are wealthy individuals who never attend shows or auctions themselves.

In the early 1980's I used to set up at a sizable club show that was held in what was, at the time, a major indoor shopping mall. Traffic was extremely heavy but the general public accounted for exactly $0 in sales. All sales were to dealers or people I knew to be collectors.

All glory is fleeting.
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Jerry Maguire (sp?)
    shame on you for not using the PM function, Sean!! now the whole world knows.

...........as to the question at hand, it appears that the majority of show transactions are between dealers, which can only add to the cost a collector eventually pays. i have this vision in my mind where a certain number of coins are caught on a Merry-Go-Round between dealers, trapped for infinity as their price stagnates.image

al h.image
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I think that a high percentage of the sub-par lots in auctions are the same coins that wander the bourse floor forever, never finding a home in a collector's safe and secure safety deposit box.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i have this vision in my mind where a certain number of coins are caught on a Merry-Go-Round between dealers, trapped for infinity as their price stagnates. >>

My vision is a little different. The coins are caught on the merry-go-round initially, but as it speeds up, centrifugal force eventually breaks the coin loose and it flies out towards the collecting public which stands on the periphery of the merry-go-round. And as it exits the Dealer Dimension, a warp in the time-space continuum causes the price to accelerate in proportion to the speed that the coin is traveling as it approaches the collectors.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

hey Jim

i'll have my Dealer MGR Hypothesis all typed up and we can discuss it Saturday morning. i trust you'll do the same!!

al h.image
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it appears that the majority of show transactions are between dealers, which can only add to the cost a collector eventually pays. i have this vision in my mind where a certain number of coins are caught on a Merry-Go-Round between dealers, trapped for infinity as their price stagnates >>

totally agree

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file