Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just how difficult is it to find an Oregon Trail Commem in nice circulated condition?

I'd love to find one raw in nice problem free condition but every show I attend They're all slabbed,real beautys I might add but for now I'll settle for one circulated.
Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    That's my fav commem. I been thinking of getting one. I don't see much around under 64, at least where I look.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I looked for one at the Grapevine show myself. I found one that looked really nice for $80 - problem is we decided it looked "too nice" and was probably cleaned. It lacked any color at all. Let me know if you find a couple - I want one too! image - I am looking for a nice AU or MS-60 UNslabbed.
  • Options
    That's just it, they"re all slabbed.The Red Book has them listed For as much as $450.00 in MS65.for the 33-D.
  • Options
    Buy a low grade slabbed MS coin, crack it and carry it as a pocket piece until it reaches the degree of circulation you are looking for! image
  • Options
    I don't think commems commonly circulated. I'd bet you could find one that wasn't stored well and has many hits.

The Oregon is my favorite. I want a lustrous one with reddish rim toning. That way they will really be moving that canestoga wagon into the sunset. Kinda like the one in ClausUrch's sig.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think commems commonly circulated. I'd bet you could find one that wasn't stored well and has many hits.

The Oregon is my favorite. I want a lustrous one with reddish rim toning. That way they will really be moving that canestoga wagon into the sunset. Kinda like the one in ClausUrch's sig. >>

That would be nice,and thanks Allegri for the nice PM and info on the website,I'll check it out.
  • Options
    I used to see them all the time and they were fairly cheap. That's probably the problem. Can't make big money on them in the slabbing game, in fact they aren't worth slabbing if they are circulated so they don't get brought to shows because "It's the slabbed material people want."
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see circulated commemoratives down here at Florida shows. The trouble is they are usually marked "Unc." and overpriced, or they are in "third world slab company" holders and marked "MS-something."image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>I used to see them all the time and they were fairly cheap. That's probably the problem. Can't make big money on them in the slabbing game, in fact they aren't worth slabbing if they are circulated so they don't get brought to shows because "It's the slabbed material people want." >>

So true,that makes alot of sense.
  • Options
    Double post.image
  • Options
    website? Info? Please share! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file