Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS World Series of Grading update

There were 34 people who took the test...16 dealers and 18 collectors.

We'll post the results, i.e. the correct answers and the winners and their scores at around 5:00 this evening.

You will be amazed.

Here's one example. One of the coins was a 1927-D $20 St. Gaudens in the test. But...it is an added mint mark counterfeit. Since this is a $500,000 coin I had expected most people to get the "joke" and I thought this was a "gimme" easy answer. Turns out, only about half of the participants called it couterfeit...oops!

David

Comments

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. image A blank update. image
  • Ya think he's tryin' to tell us somethin'?...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
    Here I was with a bag of popcorn thinking about reading a long post on how the contest went.......and nothing. image
    YIPPEEEEEE!!!! There it is. image

I am glad David has a good sense of humor.....image

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Thanks David - this thread of yours is destined to be a classic, with much otherwise-unobtainable information, as well as some good, lively debate regarding your unique perspective. image

Edited to add: David, glad to see you posted something in, what was for a time, a blank space.image
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    Since this is a $500,000 coin I had expected most people to get the "joke" and I thought this was a "gimme" easy answer.

David,

Well at least I got that one right. As soon as I saw the date and mint mark I knew it was a no grade... (i.e., there would not be a real '27-D $20 in the test).

edited to add: I called another $20 St. G counterfiet as well as it looked very different than a real one in terms of the devices (they were very crude). Hope I got that one right. It took me a nanosecond to conclude it was counterfeit.

Greg
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    I would have missed that one too since I don't collect Saints and never had studied them. Is it more difficult to tell a fake mint mark on a Saint from a puttied one?image
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the results will be fun to see. Sounds like it was tough.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
  • I assume the grading coins will be different for the next round of grading correct? Are we making it easier for the next group to grade the same set of coins?
  • ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    I am willing to volunteer a ' lasered ' proof gold coin to the contest. It would be interesting to see if ANYBODY could correctly grade it. image
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    jbsteven, HRH had said previously that the coins will be different for each event.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Kranky

thanks, must have missed that.
  • nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Can't wait to see the results................should be very,very interesting
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I was the 2nd person to take the test...
    what an experience,as I only do dollars.
    I thought 2 gold coins looked funny..and asked the guy giving the test if there was any funny business or tricks goind on..
    he said " no way" coins are just typical of what comes in out door....
    Anyway...next time I will be better prepared to grade AG02 morgans image
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭
    Greg...Sorry...the 1914-S Saint was not counterfeit, though several others also called it counterfeit. This date comes with a different "look" than the more commonly seen P-Mints of the 1920s. The 1927-D Saint was the only counterfeit in the test. There was only one no grade...a very obviously phony frosted proof Mercury dime.

David

PS to all...guess the grade of the very first coin in the test...a proof 2003 Roosevely dime???? There were of course only two possible grades...we put it in to give everyone something to really think about.

• PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    PF69DCAM
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • PR 70 DCAM.image
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
    Greg...Sorry...the 1914-S Saint was not counterfeit, though several others also called it counterfeit. This date comes with a different "look" than the more commonly seen P-Mints of the 1920s. The 1927-D Saint was the only counterfeit in the test. There was only one no grade...a very obviously phony frosted proof Mercury dime.

Oops, it did look different, and I don't do very much in gold. Well at least I got the '27-D right. I think in my rush, I missed the dime too. About two hours after I took the test I thought of many of the mistakes I made, or things I did not check. The dime was one of them, I think. I thought there was another coin that I had a no grade (AT) for though, yet another oops.

Overall I had a great time with the contest, and would recommend others try it.image
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • How many people called the merc dime DCAM?image

Cameron Kiefer
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Hmmmm.

OK.

5 PM whose time?

(Tapping my foot).

We ARE watching you.

5 PM whose time? I figured it was Pacific time as PCGS is located in CA.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There were 34 people who took the test...16 dealers and 18 collectors.

We'll post the results, i.e. the correct answers and the winners and their scores at around 5:00 this evening.

You will be amazed.

Here's one example. One of the coins was a 1927-D $20 St. Gaudens in the test. But...it is an added mint mark counterfeit. Since this is a $500,000 coin I had expected most people to get the "joke" and I thought this was a "gimme" easy answer. Turns out, only about half of the participants called it couterfeit...oops!

David >>

Wait a second. The 1927-"D" St. Gaudens is a real coin- just a Philly coin with an added mint mark, right? If so, it's not truly a counterfeit but instead an altered coin.

peacockcoins

• JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Wait a second. The 1927-"D" St. Gaudens is a real coin- just a Philly coin with an added mint mark, right? If so, it's not truly a counterfeit but instead an altered coin.

And the winner is.....Braddick! image

We ARE watching you.

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Good point. Depends on which way you look at it, it a counterfeit 27D but a altered 27.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was only one no grade...a very obviously phony frosted proof Mercury dime.

PCGS missed the AT "O" mint dollar? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • 5:25. I have to log off, but the suspense is killing me! At least we got cool T-shirts. Thanks PCGS!

Cameron Kiefer
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

WHAT WAS THE GRADE OF THE 27 d $20 ? OOPS 1927 $20....

Stewart
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

What about the Environmentally damaged (corroded) commemorative ?

Stewart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file