grade?
"original"?

A Related Thread

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good-6,

possibly Vg-8 with a little uneven wear.

looks gradeable.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I want to say G-6 also. VG details, some focal worse wear. that's a strong overdate.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG,

These coins were often weakly struck...
  • Options
    Hi,

G-6 and i would say real
    Dale Moore III image
    www.wornoutboots@yahoo.com

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG-8, with uneven wear. Real.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice VG. I sold an 1805 that was similar to it at the FUN show. It was in an ANACS VG-10 holder.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    VG8 butthe rim wear on obv at 7 o'clock could kick it down to G6.....my 2 cents
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    no-question vg-8. rims are slightly faint in spots due to strike, but rev. motto is better than typical vg.

can't address originality issue because your digi-pic looks sky-blue, but seems reasonable.

ridiculously undervalued series, imo.

K S
  • Options
    VG8
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, this one was pretty easy to grade, consensus VG8, Definitely better than a Good and won't make Fine. Plusses to the VG8 grade for decent detail and nice surfaces, minuses for a slightly uneven strike and 3 digs, two obverse in upper hair and one reverse below the eagle, these are likely contemporary "test" marks from when these coins were new. Merchants and others accepting coins in trade that they've never seen before would either scratch it to see it wasn't plated, or dig a small bit of silver out of the coin to test with chemicals and verify silver content.

The +plusses and -minuses balance and we're left with 8 although I could also argue for G6 and VG10, depending on if I were buying or selling image

This set of dies got quite a bit of use, this is the 1806 B-1, the 6 punched over a 5 in the date, they were also used to strike the 1805 B-4 coins, which of course show all the same spacial relationships among the stars and legend as this variety.

A surprisingly tough coin to find nice, I looked for a couple years before locating this one.

If anyone else has this variety, I'd be interested in seeing a pic. Thanks!

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The problem that I have with grading bust coins is that the strike is more often weak than strong, making them look more worn than they really are. Rather than the more modern assumption of a reasonably good strike. It's the same problem with grading '20's buffalos.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baley,

It is interesting that the die was previously used in 1805. In the half dollar series, the only overdate die that was used is 1806/5 O.104, used on 1805 O.105 and O.106, the reverse die was also used on 1805 102, 108, 110, and 114. Both dies in terminal state have peripheral cracks and cuds. All other overdates were obverse dies that were prepared, but not used until they were overdated.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I LOVE THESE COINS!!! (because they're actually older than I am). IMHO, this is a strong VG. Should slab with no problem, I think.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    Here's an 1806/5 ANACS AG03 that's coming up on Teletrade next Wednesday:

Teletrade 1806/5

Its not as nice as the PCGS AG03 that I have....will try to post a picture in the next day or two.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    An original looking, strong, VG-10. A very nice looking quarter.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Nysoto,

It is interesting that the die was previously used in 1805. In the half dollar series, the only overdate die that was used is 1806/5 O.104, used on 1805 O.105 and O.106, the reverse die was also used on 1805 102, 108, 110, and 114. Both dies in terminal state have peripheral cracks and cuds. All other overdates were obverse dies that were prepared, but not used until they were overdated.

Such as the 1805/4, which obviously was never used before being overdated, since there are no 1804 half dollars.

interesting!

• Options
    Its not as nice as the PCGS AG03 that I have....will try to post a picture in the next day or two.

Craig, did you ever find that picture? image I'm curious to see your coin.

• Options
    JadeRareCoinJadeRareCoin Posts: 2,768
    I just got this coin (and 2 even nicer ones) in yesterday:

I looooove early type!
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    nice coin, only "lightly cleaned long ago and now retoning nicely", image

let's see the other two! image

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    VG8 image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    VG8. And damn cool. Thtat's one of the 3 types of quarters I need to get to "complete" my quarter "set". The last 3 types I need are a bit out of my league at the moment.
  • Options

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    price seems appropriate for that ebay coin.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file