Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hi, I'm a new guy! Anyone wanna help me out?

Hello everyone, I've been reading these boards for the last week, and finally decided to join up myself to see if I couldn't tap into this wealth of information.

Here's the story:

I recently received a bunch of raw coins from my grandfather, from when his father passed away. A lot of them are from series I am just plain unfamilar with(large cents, half cents two and three cents,and bust halves), and going through them, a couple truly stood out as something I should ask some questions about to see if you guys knew anymore info, or at least new some resources I could check out.

1825 Half cent. This one is struck with the obverse and reverse in medal configuration as opposed to coin. (if you flip the coin horizontally as opposed to vertically, the reverse appears righside up). Is this an error? or was this year stuck this way for some reason. i have a few from just before and just after 1825 that are in the standard coin configuration. Any info on this would be appreciated.

1867 Three cent silver: this coin is in great shape with almost no wear, and a some luster left, but its slightly bent. (how a coin can get bent i have no idea) According to the redbook, just over 4000 were minted, and most were believed melted and never released? This makes it sound rather rare, but does it being slightly bent make it absolutely worthless?

I have some other question, but i suppose its best not to overload just one post. Any answers help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    the half cent sounds like a rotated die which would probably bring some extra money.

the bend may have been from putting into an old whitman or whatever. I had a few whitmans of old half dimes that I sold to a member here and once he popped them out, many of them were bent, probably due to the pressure of someone really working them to get them into the holder. They weren't bent horribly but it was noticeable if layed on a table.

Any Chain cents???
    Bust halves huh?? capped bust or early bust halves??
    Post some pics!
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    welcome. put on your seat belt!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    Welcome PutTogether! I hope you enjoy this board as much as I do! image
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • Options
    Yooo Ayeeeee...Welcome!...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    Welcome. Best of luck. My only advice is to get a lot of opinions so you are comfortable with KNOWING exactly what you have before you make any decisions.
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    Just an earthbound misfit,
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards...

Got any pics? That would help.

John
  • Options
    Welcome aboard. I hope you decide to pursue the hobby permanently.
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the welcomes, I should be here a while. So do you all seem pretty sure the 1825 is a rotated die and not SUPPOSED to be that way? interesting. i wonder if that is a good thing or bad thing. And to answer the question about the halves, most of them are capped from around 1814-late 1830s.

exactly how scarce IS a rotated die half cent or a 1867 three cent silver?

And DAMN those were some fast replies, i only posted five minutes ago
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Welcome!

Frankly, I don't know anything about either of these coinsimage
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If memory serves, roated dies are no big deal on an 1825 half cent. In fact rotated dies have only become something of interest over the last couple of years, and then mostly on modern coins. Rotated dies on 19th century coins, especially early 19th century coins, are not unusual.

The bend in the three cent piece is a real problem. Yes, these coins were very thin and easily bent. Yes, when the dies went bad the coins could be struck slightly bent. BUT by 1867 the mint had gotten its act together on these coins and the mintages were not large. Therefore I think this coin was probably bent outside the mint. 1867 is a tough date in the series, but low grade examples are not easy to sell. I can't put a value on the coin without looking at it, but let's put it this way, you are not looking at a big payday here.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    oh, and maybe when my roomate gets home i'll grab his camera and do my best at some pics.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    got any 1815 halves? that's a good un!

got any pics?!?
    email them to me and I will post them if you can't
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply BillJones - it really isnt all that bad of news. I've been collecting coins at least a few years now, and really have no intention of selling these or hoping they are worth money. Scarcity interests me more than money (call it fotunate or unfortunate that these two are often correlated). I just think its neat to have something in which only 4000 or so examples were evermade (and 140 years ago at that)
  • Options
    no, no 1815s sorry. Kinda funny, out of these four or five boxes, I've damn near got a finished circulated US type set with the exception of a 20c and a few of the 18th century coins
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice inheritence then!!!

Surely post some pics. We all like pretty images on this board....

John
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! I've been collecting coins for 55 years now, and it's still just as enjoyable as it ever was. (except, you can't really run up to the bank, pick up some rolls, and fill some holes in your albums).
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmmmm...fresh meat...
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome! I've been collecting coins for 55 years now, and it's still just as enjoyable as it ever was. (except, you can't really run up to the bank, pick up some rolls, and fill some holes in your albums). >>

You've got seven or eight years on me. There are still several holes in my clad quarter album
    that could get filled by a trip to the bank.

PutTogether: Try this link rotated
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Welcome aboard....................the best education you will get on your new hobby will come from these pages.......(some does neeed filtering but in general a great group of people(
    ).

Again welcome!image
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    TO CLADKING:

Thanks man, that was interesting. According to that link, the guy has been taking a census for 18 years and has recorded between 31-80 examples of the classic head 1825 rotated 168 degress.
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards.
    You're right, there is a wealth of information residing here.
    You're lucky to have inherited coins many people never see.
    Take care of them and your children will thank you.

Skipper
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the board. You'll like it here.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    How do? Glad to see you here!!
    Wondo

• Options
    A big WELCOMEimage
    Michael
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Welcome aboard! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file