Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grading proofs

Hi all,

Let me ask you, does haze around the ring affect the grade of a proof? I ask this because I have seen some PCGS PR69 Ikes with a light haze around the ring of the coin. I have a 1973-S Silver Ike with a light haze around the outside of the coin. It looks great except for the haze. Please help me on this and thanks!

Mike

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Light haze, thin line, should drop the coin a point. As the haze gets more visible and move towards the center, drop two to three points. Two much haze will keep the coin from grading DCAM. Heavy haze may keep it from grading CAM.

I've seen a lot of PR69DCAM graded modern proofs, (and returned many), with haze problems. I think it frequently develops after the coin is slabbed.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like haze on these coins at all! I think that ANY piece that is graded PR-67, 68 or 69 that has a lot of haze is overgraded PERIOD.

I think the problem started with either the governemnt packageing or the soution that was used to wash the Ike dollar planchets. A great many of these coins have gone hazy, and the bright ones should be worth a premium IMO. BUT it remains to be seen how long even those coins will not get hazy.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I agree with Bill 100% on this issue.Since the smallest hairlines cause a reduction in grade so must haze of any kind.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    So what should I do look for another coin? I am sending proofs to be graded to add to my registry set and this 1973-S silver Ike does have hazing starting around the edge of the coin. Thanks againimage

Mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file