Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I can track my 2004 coin losses much more easily now

I used to track my coins in Excell spread sheets, but I built a Delphi application to do it now.

After my first weekend of eBay sales in 2004 I already know I've lost $11.78. I've got 10 people who haven't paid yet with another $21.88 in losses (before postage and PayPal fees occured once they do pay).

Each button on the summary screen brings up the detail list and I can select coins to generate HTML for my auctions and upload pictures.

It's the first weekend I've used it and it worked out well. I've improved the time it takes me to list and track auctions quite well.

So I've figured out how to lose money with much less effort now. image

Now that I've narrowed down to what I want to keep as my collection, I have 598 coins to sell. imageimage

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    Is this a full program that you've developed? Does it work well for keeping track of your inventory/collection? It looks nice... If it is, are you selling copies?
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

George-

Yes it works well for keeping track of your coins, but the big thing for me was to generate auctions and track payments too.

I just started using it and maybe will sell it later on after I've tried it for a while. I've already found one thing I don't like that is after the coin is sold, I'm using the same index by demonination and date instead of sale date. There are some other enhancements I want to make also.

If you want to send me a PM with your address, I'll send you a CD install (for free) so you can try it out. It will be a week or two until I get around to finishing it up.
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Doug, you're losing money because you're too honest. image

Get that Betty Crocker toning kit and start your own slabbing company.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    ummm... you're losing money in this market?
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    I can track my 2004 coin losses much more easily now

imageimage
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Things have taken a turn for the better.

I've received another payment, plus somebody did a BIN so I'm showing a profit for 2004 now image

I'm doing more of a liquidation than a for-profit enterprise, but a profit would be nice.

since 8/1/6
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Relayer,

I'm kicking your ass! I'm at $19.66 so far in 2004.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭

<< <i>, I'm using the same index by demonination and date instead of sale date. There are some other enhancements I want to make also.
    >>

Sounds like what you need is like what I've got in my program. I have a pricing group table and a pricing table. The pricing group is a foreign key in my coins table and each price (and it's price type) is in the pricing table. It is very flexible for any type of price activity on a given coin. And it eases programming by grouping like elements. I'm still working on my coin program, though. It's my pet project on the side.

Neil
  • Options

<< <i>I'm kicking your ass! I'm at $19.66 so far in 2004. >>

Ahh. You must be catering to the high-end market then. image
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Let me get this right.....

You've sold 696 coins in 2004 and you've made....... oops... lost $ 11 bucks...

That's over 600 packages.... time spent...... gas used....... I guess my time is much more valuable......

Why not buy one premium slabbed coin and take 10%?

• Options

No, the total is all of the coins I have, broken down by category.

After a coin is sold it moved down below the TOTAL line. First to the RECEIVABLEs, then when they pay it moves to the NEED TO SHIP, once I ship it it moves down to the SOLD line.

So using at the last screen I posted, I sold 25 cpins in 2004. 9 people haven't paid yet and 16 have.

On those 16 I made $7.35 (somebody did a BuyItNow on one of my auctions at almost an $18 profit, so I'm in the black now)
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I am working on a similar software with C++, but it isn't near as complex as yours.

How do you keep up with the current market value at any given time?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file