Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any Morgan experts still awake? :)

What is your expert opinion about this Morgan? grade? value? cleaned? not? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I don't see much wrong with it unless it has been cleaned. There is no toning and is very pretty. Do the grading companies slab cleaned Morgans? Is this one cleaned? whatdoyathink? Thanks in advance for your help. I am trying to decide if I want to buy this and how much is fair to offer.

1985 Morgan - Obverse

1985 Morgan - Reverse

Comments

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Who are you buying it from and for how much?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    John - from my son, and this is one of his Morgans. I don't know how much, but want to be fair to him and to me. I don't see any problems with it, but don't know much about grading.
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert, but I'll give you my opinion anyhow.

I would grade the coin MS64. As for value, I would say around $20 give or take a few if it is raw... if it is slabbed, add a few more to it. The coin hasn't been cleaned (excepting perhaps an old dip). Grading companies grade morgans that have been dipped, but not morgans that have been harshly cleaned. Dipping is considered market acceptable and I am fairly certain PCGS, or any grading company for that matter, would grade the coin.

I, personally, wouldn't submit that coin for grading considering the coin is not worth grading fees IMO.

-Jarrett Roberts

P.S. - I think it is 1885, not 1985. 1985 is my birth year and I don't think i'm that old.

Edit: Not being an expert on morgans, I based my price on the value of raw BU morgans on eBay completed items.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I am awake but not a expert.
    Should make 64 at least maybe 65.
    $40 is a fair price for a 64.
    Pics are a little small.

• Options
    you're right - sorry for typo - it's been a long day. It is 1885.
  • Options
    I just checked eBay completed to see where I screwed up on my pricing, and I priced the coin as raw. I think placid's price would be if the coin was PCGS slabbed.
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    MS64 Common date Morgan. Very pretty coin. Many Morgans look brand new even today, but check the coin with a 10X loupe for hairlines that could indicate whizzing. If it's harshly cleaned, $10. If it's only dipped, $20. If it's uncleaned, $30-$40.

Whizzing is almost impossible to discern from a photograph.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Yes I looked up 64's in pcgs slabs on heritage. Pcgs 65's jump to about $100.
    The reverse on the one in the picture is real nice maybe 66. The obverse is pretty nice but I think probably a couple of marks on the face would keep it at 64.
  • Options
    thanks everyone for your opinion. I will look for details tomorrow when I can hunt down the ole loup. Not sure where I put it and my eyes are crossed tonite anyway. I do see a couple of minor scratches on face, but rest is clear as day. Yes, it is a raw coin. I have a few more I have to figure out later, but this gives me something to go by.

• Options
    Glad to help.

For raw or slabbed coin values, use eBay completed Items (by searching eBay, then clicking on "Completed items" under "Display" on the left screen). I find that most priceguides (red book, CU Price Guide, etc) are off on nearly everything, so market value is the only real way to establish a price.

This should alleviate pricing other coins in the future.

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    The chatter on the face makes me think no higher than 64 but the different color on the cheek makes me think AU but it's probably just the pict. The rest of the thing looks ms for sure. I don't see any cleaning-looks decent.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    nice coin... $25 raw, $50 PCGS imho

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file