Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you call this "rainbow Toned?"

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see the actual coin possibly, but the picture is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too dark!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I bet if you blast it with enough light at the right angle it has some color to it but I doubt what I would call rainbow...
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    The pics suck but I wouldnt call it rainbow anything.
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I made it lighter so you can see the surface a little better if your interested in it. image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'd almost bet that the coin in hand is much better than the images indicate. Small toners are extremely difficult to capture correctly.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    appears to be a poorly taken pic... this coin could indeed be rainbow toned...the buyer of this coin might be pleased with it...i don't know why some ebay sellers even bother to show their coins with pics like this...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Personally, I don't like it... I'm much more of a Non-Toned Merc myself... I have yet to see a nice toned merc that I loved... the closest I came was a lite golden tone... but nothing else has appealed to me... I don't see what people see in "Album Toned" mercs... they're so dark and ugly... *shudder* Anyways... I prefer Blast Whites...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Somebody turn on the lights!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have yet to see a nice toned merc that I loved... >>

Come now. You don't like this one?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    The only thing you can tell from those pics is that it does indeed appear to be a mercury dime.
    Russ is right, small toners can be tough to scan. It comes with a return, so it could certainly be worth a chance, although I would email the seller and ask them to either describe the colors or send a better pic.
    Here's the best part.......his only neg came from good old pepperdoodles! Seems they didn't agree with doops' grading!image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if you can find a rainbow in a thuderhead! image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>.......his only neg came from good old pepperdoodles! Seems they didn't agree with doops' grading! >>

Ah, that was a great thread. doops listed a cam franklin and said he tried 3 times to get it in a DCAM holder and each time it came back CAM.

The buyer tried it, and it came back CAM again and then wanted his money back because it didn't DCAM. doops said no
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I believe he is a board member.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    Where's the rainbow?
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Yep that's a sleazeBay rainbow.
    Unlike Morgan dollars in the wild, a coin on sleazeBay needs neither a rainbow shaped crescent nor red yellow blue green magnenta bands to qualify for the rainbow designation.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "I have yet to see a nice toned merc that I loved..."

Do you like orange:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I see brown and silver and those aren't part of the rainbow so no.
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I would also bet it's much nicer than the pics indicate. I have a dark toned 1916 that I can't get a picture of with similar toning. It's attractive but very difficult to picture.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    The little buggers are tough to capture. Sometimes you need a moment of inspiration to get them just right - and even then they're tough. This one is one of my favorites out of my dime set - but it was a bear to capture. The coin has a lot more luster than it shows but this was the best I could do with it.

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep....Toned Mercs are Butt Ugly......Geeeeezzzz ! As far as that goes any Toned coin is Butt Ugly. Yea Right.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way for you folks that demand excellent pictures. The 45S shown before this post had a picture that made the coin look like Doo Doo. Something like the coin linked in this thread. Nine times out of ten good luck has been had buying these Dogs that no one else wants. With that said Please Do Not bid on the coin linked here.

I'll take it though.

Ken
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rainbowroosie,

I know you're talking about fishing lures, but here is (what I call rainbow) nickel that looks better in person.

1946D eye candy!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    <<<good luck has been had buying these Dogs that no one else wants>>>
    Put this in your pipe & smoke it Fairlaneman!

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file