Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it MS-62 or AU-58?

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last week I said that I had owned two 1805 dimes that were both the 4 berry variety. One was an AU-58 and the other an MS-62. Here are the two coins. See if you can tell the difference.

Coin A:

Coin B:

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess coin A is the MS coin, and B is the AU coin, mainly because of the slightly lighter color of the teats. image and some of the other high points.

seriously, though, both coins are very nice, and either would pass for MS any day.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I can't really tell wear from the pictures but coin B looks to have a different color on the high points so I'd say that is where the original skin has been rubbed, thus the lighter color cause it toned differently.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    wait wait wait! is this the same coin in 2 different holders??

• Options
    yep, the more I look at them, the more I think it's the same coin, slightly different lighting.

How could two different coins be so close in appearance?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having a hard time... I think the top has alittle better eye appeal which means its 58 and the bottom coin is 62. Last time I did this with the two 1850 $20's and I was wrong... image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top AU-58
    Bottom MS-62

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait wait wait! is this the same coin in 2 different holders??

You don't trust Bill? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I trust Bill implicitly! I think he's trying (successfully) to make a point that for early coins in particular (and for all coins, to a certain degree) there's not much difference between a really nice AU58 and an OK MS62 (or higher) coin.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Does not look like the same coin?? Top 62, Bottom 58image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    The top one is AU58.

(Seriously, I dunno. It just looks that way to me.)
  • Options
    Keep going. You are doing fine.

BTW I don't think that either coin is Mint State ....
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the prices? I'd gladly go for the AU... since it's cheaper, and I can't tell the difference image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I was looking at the hair detail, but that could be strike. I have hard time telling strike weakness from wear.
  • Options
    I am goin to go with Baley on this one. The more I look at where the toning is on the two the more they look the same. It has to be the same coin taken with two different light settings.image
  • Options
    They are both AU's image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    No need to wink about it Stujoe. They ARE both AUs.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Bill,

I don't think the grade would have much to do with my enjoyment of either coin, but I'd imagine the first coin is graded AU. I see what looks like friction in the obverse field, and the shield is a little weaker. Coin two also has what appears to me from the pic to be pretty good luster in the protected areas. JMO
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    I was guessing on the top pic but the bottom one looked like wear (although never a for sure with a picture, of course).
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    There are two different coins here. The top one has a scrap on the slab on the reverse.

They are fraternal twins, not identical twins. image
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they both appear to have rub..."A" is a better strike and has nicer tone...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A=AU58
    B=MS62

I like A better.
  • Options
    OK, the responses are slowin' down so it's time to come clean

Coin #1 is was a PCGS MS-62. It's now an NGC MS-62

Coin #2 is a PCGS AU-58.

The difference in price can be almost double. It's the main reason why "real" AU-58s are becoming an endangered species. image

AND why more recent "AU-58s" are getting a bad name among some collectors.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bill. Which coin do you prefer?
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2nd coin has much more obvious rubbing (white flat spots) on the clouds, eyebrow/forehead, drapery at bust line, etc. I think they are different enough. But as you have hinted at, you have to get to a fairly high slab # these days to get a real UNC coin.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2nd coin has much more obvious rubbing (white flat spots) on the clouds, eyebrow/forehead, drapery at bust line, etc. I think they are different enough. But as you have hinted at, you have to get to a fairly high slab # these days to get a real UNC coin.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    PCGS and NGC say coin "B" is MS62...very interesting

Given the choice, i'd definitely take "A" over "B" and keep the difference in price in my pocket...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    B is 58.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    provided, of course, that i could buy A for AU money...

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't have the slightest. Actually, they look like the same coin to me. image

jom
  • Options
    Why did the coin get cracked out?image

It was obviously overgraded, you did a service to PCGS!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    The first coin got cracked because the new owner thought he might get an MS-63 from NGC.

As for doing PCGS a service, when it comes to early coins in MS-62 holders, there would have to be a lot a cracking going on to rid the world of all the MS-62 coins that are really choice AU. Heck, that's true for much later coins as well. Both services have been puting attractive AU coins in MS-62 holders for years.

Just last Saturday I saw an 1832 quarter eagle in a PCGS MS-62 holder that was not Mint State. I've got an 1836 quarter eagle in an MS-62 holder that is actually an AU-58. I saw an 1834 in a 58 holder that had more wear that my coin so I guess you can say they are consistent... image
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bill,
    I held off on posting for a while to see how things played out. I aslo thought neither was a MS, but if one had to of been then it would be A. For some reason I like B better for eye appeal. Don't know why, maybe because I feel the nice early stuff needs to show a little age.
    Good educational post.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin is technically AU, but is marketably MS.

I believe PCGS freely admits to market grading on all early American coinage.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I like coin B better too. I bought it over 30 years ago when I landed my first job out of college and started to make some "real money." I "made the coin" last spring. Back then the dealer called it EF and it was priced a well under $1,000. That price seemed high for an EF at the time, but there are EFs and there are EFs.

Paying a little extra for a better coin within the grade often pays dividends in the long run. That's why the "PQ" coincept has merrit despite what people say.

That coin got me hooked on early U.S. coinage. From that on that was where I spent most of my "big money" when I added to my collection.
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    I can't tell what is strike and what is wear. Amazing demonstration.
    DSW
  • Options
    A - MS62
    B - AU58

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file