Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1909 S VDB, Zero feedback and all private bids!!

What do you guys and gals make of this auction? Somehow doesn't seem quite right, does it? Or is this something new? Auction to end in under an hour!

Ogden

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2215418269&category=39456

Comments

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    link

It looks nice. I'm going to sell off some coins tomorrow to get cash to buy it!
  • Options
    OgdenOgden Posts: 435
    Sorry edited to include URL.Link
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PT Barnum would be pleased to see he's correct again.

If it's geunine (I don't know the die characteristics to check), then that color says something is WRONG
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Scam alert. Money order only! Payment must be received in 5 days! Im selling on behalf of someone else!
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    There are more red flags flying here than at an old Soviet Union May Day Parade. STAY AWAY!
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    fake alert i dont know too much about coins but i can tell this is one of those after market re-pros. WAY to much detail to be original
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Scam alert. Money order only! Payment must be received in 5 days! Im selling on behalf of someone else! >>

Registered yesterday and is already familiar with One Day auctions and Private Bidders format.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I guess with the private bids no one can trace for shill bidding. Hope someone doesn't get screwed.
    It's just a shame that this time of thing goes on. Getting cheated will certainly turn alot of people off bidding on ebay. Not surprisingly.

Ogden
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I'm a rookie coin nut and this scares me
    Not an expert but rates it ms64????

• Options
    Looks to me like an added mintmark... wrong shape, and not even entirely vertical! Plus, it looks like you can see a seam between the mintmark and the field. Funny... his name is lots2sell, but he has no other auctions!
  • Options
    Sold for $1325.00. Wonder if we will ever see any feedback on either side?????????

Ogden
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Ogden
    I wouldn't have bid on that auction in any way.As was pointed out,just to many red flags.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a fake to me.....
  • Options
    Looks like a fake.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Is it even a real coin? It looks too perfect.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    could be genuine...the mintmark has the position and tilt of genuine svdb's from die #2...

irregardless, I wouldn't buy one of these from someone with zero feedback and the other red flags that have been noted...

that "V.D.B" looks kind of funny to me...can't really say why...just a sense about it...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    The VDB is in the correct off-center position, but you're right; it does look goofy... I didn't want to say anything because I couldn't quite put my finger on it, either! Would need to see the coin in person, I think...
  • Options

that "V.D.B" looks kind of funny to me...can't really say why...just a sense about it... >>

What does V.D.B mean? Sorry for the ignorance, I'm a ROOKIE coin collector.
  • Options
    It refers to the letters on the bottom of the reverse, which are the designer's initials (Victor David Brenner).
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Victor D. Brenner, the designer of the coin.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Oh, okay. Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for these. I think I got rid of one the other day when I bought a soda...OH MAN!! (joke)
  • Options
    MintstateMintstate Posts: 254 ✭✭

<< <i>Sold for $1325.00. Wonder if we will ever see any feedback on either side?????????
    >>

We'll never know. He's already been NARU'ed
  • Options
    The seller has already been NARUed. What a crook. I am really getting of this s*** on ebay. There is so much fraud going on there of all sorts there is no way the "ebay police " can keep up with it. At least they caught this guy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file