Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What coin will go up in value faster?

A low mintage series or a low mintage commorative?

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    To general a question to answer.
  • Options
    Sometimes you can get the best of both worlds like with the 1998 Kenedy sms. Low mintage and considered part of the mainstream set.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whichever coin has more demand
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Joey, that strickthru is a 1998 Kennedy SMS...it has so many things wrong with it...I bet it broke the machine when it was made.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A low mintage regular issue is usually a lot scarcer than a low mintage commemorative. Most regular issues, except the very modern pieces, got a lot of use, and the survival rates are MUCH lower in general and usually in high grade as well. Commemorative coins were almost always issued at prices in excess of their face value, and a much higher percentage of them were saved and preserved.

Comparing the mint of an "old" commemorative coin to a regular issue coin is a waste of time. The usage patterns were totally different.

Having said that, the question is too general. It can't be answered with a definitive nod to one type of coin or the other.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>A low mintage series or a low mintage commorative? >>

Yes. image

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Which came first the chicken or the egg? I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I am surprised by that one cent coin that keeps coming up. I wouldn't give you more than $100 buck for the coin but the bid is way way up there. I would much rather have a gem 1916-D Mercury, and a 1909-S vdb, and have change leftover!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    fcloud, that coin at that price is sure scary...I would have to agree with ya.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Right now? I would say say generic MS gold would be a very good choice if you want to see a quick buck in a few weeks. Low mintage series just depends which series. mike
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Congrats to Placid for hitting the 10,000 posts mark.
    Dog hit it recently too. wtg men. Noted assets to the forums. image

Whichever coin has more demand

Jeremy- Ya beat me to it. image

Yes.
    LOL !!!!!!! Louis image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file