Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I saw some incredible coins viewing ANR auction lots today.

mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
The coolest coins I saw were the Pattern coins. There is just something about a copper dollar that is so neat. The NGC PF68RD Schoolgirl pattern dollar is amazing. Very red coin with fine mirrors and a great strike. Another nice copper dollar was the J1147 Seated Indian Princess dollar in PCGS MS66BN. This coin is just beautiful with blue color splashing off the surfaces. The copper patterns in this auction just make me drool. There are also a bunch of silver and some aluminum patterns as well. I liked the two liberty head cents that were struck in German silver and copper/nickel.

Also in the sale and more than impressive is a 1836 Proof set. This set includes 1/2 and 1 cents coins, 1/2 dime, dime, quarter, half dollar, quarter and half eagles. I thought all the coins save the 1 cent were superb. The one cent had some planchet defects that detracted a small amount. The silver coins were brilliant with flashy mirrors. The gold coins were amazing too, but my favorite was the 1/2 proof coin. Just a fantastic proof 1/2 cent with bluish highlights, great mirrors and a nice planchet.

Four 1912 dated matte proof gold coins were just magnificent. 1/4 and 1/2 Eagle Matte Indians, $10 Indian and $20 St. Guadens matte proofs topped off the viewing session for me. The $10 Matte proof Indian became my favorite coin the first time I saw one and still is today. The near perfect uniformity of the finish really strikes my fancy. I'm not a huge fan of gold coins, but the matte proofs are in a class by themselves.

I'm going back tomorrow to view more lots in the ANR and Superior auctions. There are tons of nice coins still to be seen.
National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. Hope you get them all!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Any 1866 Two Cent Pieces in PCGS MS62RB to MS64RB?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Not in the ANR sale. I'll be looking at Superior lots tomorrow. I didn't have enough sense to grab a catalog while I was there today.

• Options
    Look for sample slabs.image

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Lot viewing is one of the most enjoyable things to do at a big show. I still remember how awestruck I was at the Baltimore lot viewing last year (or was it the year before?) when I got to examine a J-115 pattern gold dollar hand-engraved by Longacre. Now that is history!

IIRC, it once had been under MrEureka's custodianship. Lucky guy. image

You can go to hundreds of shows without seeing coins you can examine to your heart's content at the auction lot viewing.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The NGC PF68RD Schoolgirl pattern dollar is amazing >>

Oh, yes! I got to photograph it on the Baltimore bourse this past summer:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    That's it Jeremy. That Eagle is awesome.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything interesting in the FE/IHC lots??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

That schoolgirl pattern is awesome. I examined it at the Long Beach show a couple of years ago. I think Kagin had it in his case.
    Doug
  • Options
    Anything interesting in the FE/IHC lots??

I'm going to view those tomorrow. In the catalog it shows 2 FE proof coins and a bunch of proof IHCs in nice grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file