Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Other bidders have entered the fray - '63 70DC Lincoln at $43k before the juice

WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭
$49,450 with juice.

Comments

• Options
    YUK! Im happy to announce that I am not one of the bidders! image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I think the beanie babie collectors shifted to coins. This will be badimage. mike
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    A quick true story. I once bought a bag of early 60's proof coins from a dealer who is also a board member. Nice guy. Anyway, it was about 100 coins, 25 of which were 1964 proof Lincolns. I found a nice SMS Jeff in the bunch that Dcam'd and more than paid for the lot. I cherrypicked 5 of the Lincolns and kept them, and listed the rest on Ebay. The 20 coin lot sold on ebay for $20. The high bidder was none other than MadMarty. He submitted all twenty coins, and all but one graded PR69 Dcam. Imagine that, from a lot that had been cherrypicked twice before any coins were submitted. All twenty sold in the $150 range. All of this transpired before PCGS began using the 70 grade again. Maybe it's time to dig out the ones I kept.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I don't collect lincolns so I don't have a dog in this fight. I have kept my mouth shut so far on all of these threads but since they won't go away its time to opine.

Why the surprise? The introduction of TPG companies has changed the playing field forever. Whether we agree with the grade or not, the 63 70DCAM is currently one of a kind in what is likely to be the most collected series in the hobby. Why wouldn't it bring moon money. I know the arguments that it's overgraded, others will be graded the same grade, etc. Well, right now it is what it is, and apparently the money is telling us that others disagree with those arguements.

High risk? Of course, but what other collectible isn't. Who is to say that a massive hoard of Mint State Dahlonega won't be found later this month after the million + is bid on The Green Pond Collection? I'm glad I'm sitting in the spectator box on this one but I am not surprised and frankly enjoying the action. I believe it's great for the hobby.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    What's really cracking me up is that after suffering a year of derision and being called stupid and insane for plunking down $39,100 for the coin, the owner is now at a 10% profit with over four days to go in the auction.

Take that, modern bashers! image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Just proves that there's always someone crazier than you are out there.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    As I live and breathe. . .
    DSW
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "greater fool" theory works great, in stocks and coins and everything else... as long as you're not the last fool standing there looking for a chair when the music stops.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The "greater fool" theory works great, in stocks and coins and everything else... as long as you're not the last fool standing there looking for a chair when the music stops. >>
      Ilike that statement Baleyimage maybe that's the best way to look at it- as we know coins alway's go through cycles and thing like the registry sets are sure to die down or dissappear altogether one of these days. mike
    • Options
      cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The "greater fool" theory works great, in stocks and coins and everything else... as long as you're not the last fool standing there looking for a chair when the music stops. >>

Funny... I've long thought of moderns as a game of musical chairs and the same music
      has been playing for 39 years now.
      Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file