Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PVC growing inside a PCGS slab?

After a semester in college, I came back home and after an inspection of my coins, I noticed that one of my modern nickels, jefferson has sprouted a green freckel. I have had the coin for almost a year and I know the spot wasn't there before. I have never owned a coin with PVC, so I can't say for sure if that is what the problem is, but after seeing many pictures on the internet I am about 95% sure.

How often does this happen in PCGS slabs over time? I'm trying to figure out what I should do. If the coin was more expensive I would do a grade guarantee, but its only a $20-30 coin. I am going to take it to a coin show on Sunday to get a second opinion and perhaps sell it off, although i'm not sure who would want to buy it. Anybody want an example of PVC on a MS66FS War Nickel?

-Jarrett Roberts

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Nver heard of pvc caused by a pcgs slab.
    I guess it is possible the coin was in a pvc flip and was contaminated that way before slabbing.
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I don't believe the slab caused the PVC. As you said, I think it must of been on the coin prior to slabbing, but it seems odd that it would take a year or more to show itself.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I've had a few buffalo nickels do that. Usually, actually probably always, leftover from before the coin was slabbed.
    I am told the pcgs will rectify the problem if you contact them, and are willing to pay for the shipping to and from.
    May not be worth it for the coin you describe. Give them a jingaling!

Then please let us know what they say!

Nice to see you back on the boards, by the way! image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Wait until it starts looking like this!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    "I don't believe the slab caused the PVC."

Slabs have never been molded from PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) so it's impossible for the slab to have caused this to happen. It must be some flip residue on the coin from before being slabbed. It may also be something else entirely different.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    MARTY! ~ ENOUGH OF THAT PENNY! image

Now, a word from our sponser...

• Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    If you acetoned off the PVC but it didn't completely go away (you just couldn't see it anymore) and then PCGS slabbed it, could the PVC grow back inside the slab, which is not airtight?
    DSW
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    LAWMAN,

The answer to your question is "yes".

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElectricEye: I'm impressed that the cat's in about the right anatomical position on Pam, and it would imply that she's not a natural blonde! However, I'd really appreciate it more if you'd remove the "CU" logo from her photo because it's obscuring some of the hidden details.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    I'm sure PVC has it's uses; water pipes, etc., but it sure can reek havoc
    with coins.
    Does any company still make flips or holders using PVC ? I sure hope not !
  • Options
    Stuart, after looking at the cat...I won't even make a comment about his location image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file