Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pawn Shops

I'm thinking about hitting the Pawn Shops, since I'm a bit bored, and the local coin shops are closed, b/c of a local coin show (Can't go, show is 1 1/2 hrs away and I just got back from a Ski Trip to West Virginia, and am very tired of being in cars) and I don't feel like sifting through the junk of EBay to find the gems at good prices. Anyways, I'm not exactly sure what to do/say when I go in... course I don't want to be overly obvious that I'm trying to cherrypick... but you know... I'm just a little bit nervous about trying... any tips? Suggestions that have worked for you in the past at Pawn Shops? Thx...
-George
42/92

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I've never found anything at the pawn shops in my area, nada, zip, zilch.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    im with Russ...waste o time

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried looking for coins at pawn shops, never found anything but overpriced junk. I usually just went in to their jewelry/watch/coin case and looked around, asked if they had any more "in back" or whatever.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I don't do them either....Ken
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I've found a guy hoping to get a few hundred for silver plated $20G replicas, and another selling polished Morgans for $40 each. I don't bother anymore.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Its a hit and miss for coins. , but excellent for guns and antiques.
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Besides I think that "hitting" a pawn shop is illegal! Just kiding.

I once found to business strike GAEs, They wanted 500 each when gold was 320 an ounce!

Nothing in pawn shops,

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    excellent for guns

from the pawn shop:

• Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    I cherried an 1864 Indian with 180 degree rotated reverse die for a buck in about G a few years back. other than that just like everyone else just junk or overpriced.
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    As an owner of a pawn shop and an experienced pawn shop shopper I have to agree with the fact that most of the time looking for coins is a waste of time. I can only count on one hand the shops that I have been in that had decent coins, fair prices and a proprietor that had a clue about coins. If & when you find one that does you will often have first chance at the coin inventory if you check in often or talk to the owner and let him/her know that you are serious about buying coins.

The faster that I move the inventory the happier I am. Quick sales often get a reasonable discount as do quanity sales. You cannot expect half off or even much more than 20% off coins because they have to be bought and then held for a period of time before they can be sold by the pawn shop. This is also why you will not find bullion regularly in most pawn shops.

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I have seen older gold coins no less than 5 times. Based on what I saw, even though the coins were lightly circulated, all of them looked as though the owner thought he/she would make them look REALLY special by cleaning them up a little before taking them in. Well, the gold is still there, but the numismatic value had been greatly compromised on everything I have ever seen. Still, it would make for a great story if someone hit it big. How about an owner saying, "hmmm, I might have a roll of silver coins," he goes in the back and comes back with a roll of morgans dated 1893-s. Most pawn-shop owners have some kind of coin guide available, and aren't likely to have rare coins pass through their hands without knowing it.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Living in Pawn shop central due to the close proximity of the military base, I can tell you that pawn shops around here have very little coins in them. And when they do, as others have said, thier priced super high. Silver dollars at 17.00 Silver kennedy's at 6.00, etc.

Most of the gold coins that come through have been removed from jewelry or are still part of jewelry.

When I use to travel around the country, on occasions you would find a Pawn shop that carried decent coins, but usually its becuase the owner of the shop collected them or dealt with them inthe past. Most of the time, they would have a few out, but if you looked like a serious buyer, they would go to the back and bring out better stuff.

Sorry yall, I hit the return button to fast and had to run.
  • Options
    lol, he hit reply instead of return lol

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I hope he finishes that thought.... I was on the edge of my sight waiting to hear from pawn shops central.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    I hope he finishes that thought.... I was on the edge of my sight waiting to hear from pawn shops central.

LMAO! image

... and I'm the one drinking the 8 year old Barbancourt Rhum tonight, and I'm only on the edge of my seat

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The few times I even went to pawn shop looking for coins, I found zip, zero, nada, and an owner that was about as friendly as a dog with rabies. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file