Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I purchased 3 rolls of Wheat Backs.

This company says that these are UNSEARCHED. So, I ordered three rolls of Wheat Backs. I know, I may be a sucker, but the price looked pretty good. image

HERE'S THE LINK.

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim,

Would love to hear what you get when you receive them, but, don't hope for too much.....they will have been searched...by someone looking for the good stuff.
    Maybe you will get some things that aren't obvious (don't know what though since I am not a lincoln cherrypicker).

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I guess for the price it isn't too bad. Just don't go crazy and buy every one of these "UNSEACHED" by the pound deals on ebay.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    How could they be unsearched? Someone went through them and put them into rolls. THe rolls are even sorted by dates. They are thus searched.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good luck image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Even if they're unsearched isn't 8 cents a coin a bit high for wheaties?
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    I once bought a bag of "unsearched" wheats. 5,000 cents in the bag. Out of those 5,000 cents, I yielded less than 5 memorial cents. image But, I also got a 1909 VDB, several early teens D and S mints and maybe a handful of 1922-D. Finally, out of that bag, I was able to assemble oner and a half rolls of 1943 cents with all three mints. Took a long time to go through them all, but it was fun and I did get a great assortment.

The bag was well mixed with all mints, i.e. P, D and S, and a great spread of dates. That bag back then only cost me $125.00. This was only three years ago.

Good luck to you. Hope you find some goodies. imageimage
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even if they're unsearched isn't 8 cents a coin a bit high for wheaties? >>

Yes, 8 cents ia a bit high, but you have to realize that this is a retail outlet and not eBay. I think in any coin shop, you will pay 8 cents or more per wheat. My local shop sell them for 10 cents per wheat.

For the bag I just talked about in my previous post, I only paid 2 1/2 cents per wheat which is the average for wheats if you buy wholesale. You can still get these bags from advertisements in CoinAge, etc. for roughly the same price I paid. You can also get them off eBay for about the same price.

But, for those of us who do not have allot to spend on coins, then $3.95 per roll is not that bad of a deal.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are paying way too much for these. Unsearched by whom?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    If a person knows what they are looking for in die varieites many buys are good buys in circ wheats. There are still tons of nice doubled dies and mintmark varieties to be found. The price on this deal is still way too steep...retail value of mixed date wheats is no more than 5 cents per coin.

If a person buys these coins merely to look for dates and mints that will bring better money, they are throwing their money away. You have to know how to search them for things that most wouldn't have the time or knowledge to search them for.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options

<< <i>Tim,

Would love to hear what you get when you receive them, but, don't hope for too much.....they will have been searched...by someone looking for the good stuff.
    Maybe you will get some things that aren't obvious (don't know what though since I am not a lincoln cherrypicker).

Ron >>

I will post here after I receive these pennies and have looked through them. I'm not expecting a 1909 error or anything. But, you never know. imageimage
  • Options
    founda wheatie in a roll while ago. image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here ya go Tim...unsearched...in bags..."AU-BU" "red"
    all the fixings for some fun image

Wheaties in a bag

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Here ya go Tim...unsearched...in bags..."AU-BU" "red"
    all the fixings for some fun image

Wheaties in a bag >>

I know this is a stupid question, but what does AU mean? I know that BU means Brilliant Uncirculated. Thanks!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S&H can be a big deal price wise on a small order of wheatie rolls.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Speaking of Wheaties.

This auction peaked my interest but it got a little to rich for my blood. Could have been interesting though.

Ebay

Tom
  • Options
    AU = About Uncirculated
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    I received the three wheaties rolls today. I am so new at collecting that I ordered the cherrypickers guide and the Q microscope to view these pennies. Hopefully, there will be SOMETHING in these rolls. I just wish I new more of what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    How old are you Tim?

Ray
  • Options
    PriestPriest Posts: 270 ✭✭
    I agree with coppercoins, it is possible to find varities,overmint marks, and minor errors. I's all up to what the twenty or so collectors before you were looking for. and once you have access to the rolls you just have to search your best, for interests and withknowlege you have. If you can hold on to them if you'r a beginner, in another month you may have other fields to explore.
    D.A. Priest
  • Options

<< <i>How old are you Tim?

Ray >>

I'm 36 (Thats why the 67 in my username-my birth year). I am a converted baseball card collector. Thats what I used to collect (and still do a little). I just got interested in coins. Maybe a little late in age. But it seems fun looking for that elusive coin. You veteren coin collectors here have helped me quite a bit. Although there is still tons for me to learn in the coin collecting field.
  • Options
    Is there any good online reference material about Wheatie varieties? Like RPMs and the like?
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    I looked through the pennies and found some from the 1920's and teens. Each roll also incuded a 1943 steel penny. That was kind of cool. I did find a 1929 that is very clean. Here a pic of the 1929. It is actually cleaner than it appears on the scan. They also incuded a 1999 penny that they put in a little bag. But I have no idea why. I can see that it is not an error or anything.

• Options
    A friend brought a big Folgers coffee can to me last night filled with all kinds of mixed coins. Fully 1/4 of the contents were Canadian. Two '65 Canadian dolar coins that I will offer to buy. There was about $40 or so in mixed 90 % siver coins, qtrs. halves and dimes. 2 rolls of war nickels and hundreds of wheat cents. I looked at each one of them and just finished a few minutes ago. I wasn't expecting to find anything of real value but kept looking anyway hoping to find something good. In the end my friend only has a big coffee can full of spending change, aside from the silver of course.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file