Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this error penny worth buying??

Being new to coin collecting, I was wondering if this is a good deal on an error penny????

CLICK HERE

Comments

• Options
    Depends on the actual coin you get. Look at the pic: 2 different coins... nowhere does it promise your coin will be at least XX% off center. No guarantees; I would pass on this one. In general, that price seems about right to me if you got a coin as far off center and in as good condition as the pic. Anyone more experienced care to chime in?

-matt
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the off center cent is worth about $3. Do you want to own the $12 "fort knox box"?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Nope, look on eBay if you want one. Btw the ones with a date are worth a little more usually than a dateless one.
  • Options

<< <i>Nope, look on eBay if you want one. Btw the ones with a date are worth a little more usually than a dateless one. >>

That's what I was thinking when I first saw the coin..NO DATE! That's why I hesitated. Thanks for your input guys.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM me your address and I'll send you one for free. It'll even have a date!

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>PM me your address and I'll send you one for free. It'll even have a date! >>

Wow, what a nice gesture image
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I can buy the same coin with a date locally at the local show for $2.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭✭
    $14.95 is a large sum. When I lived down south, I used to buy my off centered cents, with and without dates for only $1.00. The dealer I dealt with hated errors, but knew I loved them and would always buy them when his source came around. Even today, you can buy off centers on eBay for anywhere from 1 to 4 dollars per coin.

• Options
    I'm a Canadian, and I noticed a lot of errors on US Coins (especially pennies). All of the times they are about 4-5% off, but that is rare in a Canadian Coin.

I do know that the US makes a lot more pennies, but percentage wise, the US has lots of off centered pennies.

For this reason, I know the cost of off centered coins aren't high, which is why I never bother keeping them (I do, but I don't keep track of them.)

Other errors like fills, and missing letters and what not, are probably worth a hell lot more.
    I collect Canadian coins! Almost done completing me 1900-2000 Set of Cents! What shall I do next?
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Actually, the rate of error production is exceedingly small. Probably the smallest percentage in the world.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    You can find these on eBay for way cheaper.

I kind of like the box. It could be cheesy, though, as I can't get a really good idea of its size.

If you had your PM on, I could let you know some good error people on eBayimage
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Like the ad says; <<<The box alone is worth more than the cost of this coin.>>> Cool box!
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    The 2003 pennies can go higher as the mint tightned up the quality last year. Depending on the condition and amount of off-center.
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file