Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just how desireable are your coins?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
January 1 is an excellent day to sit down and evaluate your coin holdings. What coins have real potential for the future? Why do they have that potential? Which coins are nice but are going nowhere? Why? Which coins should be sold-off as soon as possible because you should never have bought them in the first place?

Once you raise some money thru the sales just what are you going to do with it?

Perhaps it's time to think about the "box of 20"?

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% - "Boy, am I one lucky sucker to own this coin".

8% - filling the hole but looking for an upgrade.

2% - What was I thinking??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    Good question/s. After many false starts, I'm getting very specific about the types of coins I'm collecting. Maybe 5 coins I have would be considered desireable by a fairly large audience and would sell easily. I've sold a lot of my collection because of health problems but I'm feeling fine now and expect to increase my collection this year. I have about 20 slabbed coins that would be easily replaceable and another 6-8 that are tough to find but have limited appeal.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What coins (in your collection) have real potential for the future?

As an investment? Hardly any. But I like them.

Perhaps it's time to think about the "box of 20"?

NEVER. Of my two "serious" collections, one will probably need to contain over 3000 coins by the time it's "finished". The other will contain over 100 coins. IMHO, the "box of 20" only makes sense as a marketing gimmick.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I have been in the process of checking my coins for several weeks. Need to sell some duplicates to generate money for some NEWPS. With FUN coming, I shouldn't have trouble spending, especially if I start of into a new line. There are some commemoratives I like.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    NEVER. Of my two "serious" collections, one will probably need to contain over 3000 coins by the time it's "finished".

Please stay away from Tree related coins, medals and tokens. Thank you very much. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% Glad to have em. All PCGS certified Key-dates with great demand and super eye-appeal.

I already got rid of the others that didnt meet this criteria

Finally made it into a box of 20 (I call the keepers)

jim d

I also have a few that I call my tradin material, keep a few on hand just to trade/buy and sell for fun. Stuff like 09-s vdb in xf, 1886 lib nickel in Vf, 21-d merc in fine. 1898-o Morgan in 65, stuff like that . Most of the people I trade around with locally are looking for 10.00-500.00 material.

• Options
    Mine.....imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Since I re-entered collecting 2 years ago, I went through the following phases...

1. Type collector - bought by slab grade and less concerned with super eye appeal. I kept stuff I should have returned.
    2. Started buying high eye appeal coins that were not part of my type set
    3. Now a highly critical type collector who returns about 75% of what I buy sight unseen.

I've sold of the stuff that is really lame and drives me crazy. I've got some type set fillers that will someday upgrade (for example, my Peace and Morgan Dollars are MS64), but overall I'm happy with 80% of my collection. I only buy 10-20 type coins per year, so I can afford to hand pick only coins that meet my criteria. Fortunately, as a type collector, I don't feel the burning desire to fill a date with a coin that may not be desirable.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I keep looking at several of my "modern" sets (Linc, Jeff, Roosies, Wash Qs) and wonder if I should sell them. They're circulated sets, so not worth much except for the key dates.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we should all put our coins up for sale on the BS&T board and see what kind of interest they generate and then go from there.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe we should all put our coins up for sale on the BS&T board and see what kind of interest they generate and then go from there. >>

A few of mine may be popping up in the coming weeks...need to get a few good scans...
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    >Once you raise some money thru the sales just what are you going to do with it?

I used it to help pay for a new car.

I've gone through all the corrections you mentioned. I chased the value coins, the coins that will go up in value, and all that stuff. And in the end, I wasn't enjoying coins as much anymore. All I could see was dollar signs.

Now, though, my collection is being purged of all but a few higher value coins. I'll have about a dozen or two of nicer $50+ coins but the rest will be <$10 each. All raw unless I find a way to make a quick profit through a cherry pick and slab. And I'm enjoying this a lot more!

It's one thing to know "collect what you enjoy." It's another thing to discover what it is that you actually do enjoy. And I'm happy with my niche and happy not to speculate or compete against anyone.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My coins are pretty sexy, especially the ones I have bought recently. Some of my early purchases were kinda dogs, but I like most all of them.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends who you ask... one man's junque is another man's treasure. I have to agree with MrEureka on the box of 20 being a gimmick. I wouldn't be a collector under those types of unnecessary contraints.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My key-date collection down to a box of 20 is not becuase thats were I want to be, its becuase thats all I can afford. Theres a big difference when your box of 20 contains coins in the 100-1000.00 range, but when your average coin in that box is 5k+, then thats a lot of dough especially for a workin man.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe in the "Box of Twenty" theory and I have four boxes of 'em to prove it.

-My holdings consist of 40% kinda cool coins; 40% cool coins, and 40% Cool Coins!

peacockcoins

• Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    I have recently sold off a lot of "unwanteds" and am selling more, so I would say about 80% of what's left are keepers.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    My "worst" coin is a PQ+ coin.......image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just how desireable are your coins?

I got my Lincolns in an auction. I'm about to find out...
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Looking at, or thinking about my coins the way this question is phrased just doesn't really apply to my participation in the hobby anymore.

To me it's a question more geared to a stock portfolio. I realize that many here are investors as well as collectors and I am not drawing judgment on that.

I am enjoying numismatics not having to be concerned about the ups and downs of the market, or what may or may not be in vogue this year.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very happy with my holdings...

Consists of:

1881 2.5$ PCGS AU55- just cracked it out...
    1890 2.5$ PCGS XF45
    1895 2.5$ NGC PF 65 Ultra Cameo

1805 5$ PCGS AU53
    1811 5$ PCGS VF35- just cracked this one out too...
    1813 5$ PCGS AU50
    1837 5$ PCGS AU53

1803 10$ PCGS AU53

About 15 Original F-XF Barber Halves
    About 5 Original G-XF Seated O mint halves

My central coast collection of National Bank notes:

Pacific Grove AU Small size Type 2
    Monterey VF Small size Type 1
    Salinas XF Small size Type 1

Some various Federal Reserve Bank notes and Federal Reserve notes...

I dont think that I have one coin/note that I dont truly enjoy or wouldnt put up against someone elses for eye appeal...

I think that I have finally learned what it is to be picky...and am happy about it..

Vr.,
    John
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at, or thinking about my coins the way this question is phrased just doesn't really apply to my participation in the hobby anymore.
    To me it's a question more geared to a stock portfolio. I realize that many here are investors as well as collectors and I am not drawing judgment on that.
    I am enjoying numismatics not having to be concerned about the ups and downs of the market, or what may or may not be in vogue this year.
    Clankeye

ditto. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I have 53 coins now in the main collection. 52 are consided Cool and 1 is a total Dud. There is No Way I would put the Dud on the BST forum and sell to a member here. Ajustments, again, have been made over the last two months.

BTW all of the coins in the secondary collection are Cool. Whats the Deal with that ?

Ken
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Borrowing from others:

#1's ("lucky to have"): 7
    #2's ("good, solid coins; would buy again today"): 17
    #3's ("okay coins, would not buy today"): 6
    #4's ("sell, ASAP"): 2
  • Options

<< <i>Looking at, or thinking about my coins the way this question is phrased just doesn't really apply to my participation in the hobby anymore.
    Clankeye

ditto. image >>

ditto ditto. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file