Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin display suggestions needed

I've been using flips for years and like that back side where you can slide in a piece of paper with all the info you want; KM number, year, country, silver fineness, etc. But I would like something more permanent.

I've been looking at the Whitman 2x2 plastic storage thingies with the foam? ring in sizes every mm. These should nicely fit all but the largest and smallest coins but what about labels???

Any ideas on labels for these or any other ideas of holder types? Also any sort of pages for these or just keep them in a 2x2 storage box?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Hi Compa,

I generally use Air-tites for my world coins, see them on the web here. I prefer the ones with the black insert, also available in every millimeter size. The only downside is there's no convienient way to jot down information about the coin and attach it to the holder.

-JamminJ
  • Should I assume everyone else just uses mylar cardboard 2x2's or PCGS slabs?

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    No, not everybody. I've been experimenting with all sorts of holders and I still can't seem to decide which one I like best. Based upon your description, the new interceptshield slab-like holders is a nice solution since you like to keep the info on each holder but they don't come cheap, nor are they as flexible as the Whitman with inserts or the Airtites. You might also want to consider the 2x2 interceptshield holder without the possibility of writing on it of course. The best looking holder that I know of.They can be placed in special albums or stackable trays like the ones dealers use (by Lindner). I use these interceptshield 2x2 holders for more expensive coins, some plastic blue Euroclick 2x2 holders , cardboard holders for cheaper coins, flips with their backside if I want to remember the seller's ID, slabs from various companies, self-adhesive 2x2s, Whitman with or without inserts but never albums. I keep them all in various cigar wooden boxes that can accomodate some sets as well, or coins in their case of issue.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wooden cigar boxes? Is there a concern about the wood absorbing moisture and humidifying the surrounding air? Also, is there a concern about the resins in the wood releasing impurities?
    Most of my coins are in airtites stored in Lindner trays. Frequently, I have card underneath with the vitals. I had been keeping the trays in their cardboard boxes, but concern about the cardboard absorbing moisture is prompting me to remove the trays from the cardboard.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Airtites and Eagle Albums for US Commemoratives in Mint Capsules works for me. You could slide a piece of paper in the Album with the Airtite.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Good question, Compa. While I can't decide for you, I can share what I do. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it seems to work for my purposes without hurting the coins. I'm not really into displaying the coins as much as storing them in a safe place, as well as maintaining cataloging info with the coins. I use Saflips (non-PVC) for all my coins, and I store them in airtight metal boxes. The boxes are in fact chocolate tins, and I store packs of silica gel (dessicant) inside to keep out any moisture. I can fit about 150 coins inside each box, in 3 rows. I write particulars of each coin on the paper insert and put it inside the other side of the flip. I do have a few slabs, and they're in another airtight box.

Dimitri, aren't those blue Euroclick 2X2 holders made of PVC? The plastic see-through face is extremely flexible, so it's not mylar. Also, I'd be very wary of some of those self-adhesive cardboard 2X2s, which are made of PVC. One brand that is definitely made of PVC is Hartberger.

Cosmic, I think your setup is quite workable and I like it.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    Mike, they're not PVC. If my memory is correct I've vsent you one, or maybe it was to other members of the forum. I send them to members, because I'm sure that nobody has ever seen them before. They're a luxurious version of the cardboards, with the added advantage that you can open them and close them as many times as you wish, no staplers or self-adhesive one use here, and that they exist in sizes from 17.5 mm to 37.5 mm
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Top left intercept shield holder 2x2 ; this one was supposed to house US half cents or 2 cent pieces (23mm) but as you can see there's a 1901 shilling inside. To its right a Euroclic 2x2 containing a 1881 BU half eagle , middle is the holder open, and bottom is the box.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Those are pretty neat, Dimitri! I'll have to look out for them. Btw, how thick are they?? would they fit in standard 20-slot album pages?

Myself, I use Lindner slide-sheet albums. I think they're pretty neat and nicely display your coins without all the visual distractions. Notes can be kept on the paper leaving between sheets. I still need to get some cardboard 2x2s for all my junker coins.
    Dimitri, yes you sent me one. It's true that they have a convenient feature of being able to open and close them by snapping the sides together. I see the HB monogram/logo on mine too, and in your scans, plus the box looks like a Hartberger company box. While I can't say if the transparent material is PVC or not, it is certainly flexible, and definitely not mylar. It's not as flexible as their normal 2X2 (in my pictures). However, I would not trust this material on my coins because I've been lead to believe that if the plastic is flexible, it is also bad for the coins because it will transfer to/react with the coin. I do not want to risk my coins on anything but proven safe materials. And I simply cannot trust Hartberger's ethical standards if they produce, market and/or sell obviously harmful 2X2s like in my pictures. How can a firm in good conscience sell products that damage and destroy coins? They won't get my money, nor will I support them as long as they continue to produce and sell PVC items. I reiterate my warning to stay away from their products.

Why not use something safe? Mylar is safe. Saflips are safe. Airtites are safe. The choice is clear to me. I won't knowingly damage my coins. I will use products that are proven to be safe.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Thanks!

There have been some interesting ideas here and presentation of some new holders I had never seen before ...

Hartberger

Lindner (which seems to be the same as Hartberger)

I'm now leaning towards a holder that will slide in a 20 slot page for 2x2s or maybe one for 2 1/2 x 2 1/2's and not worry about being able to write on them but rather add a printed page printed on the backside so it faces the obverse of the coins in the page - the printed page can be divided in squares that match the coin positions on the facing page with all the info for each coin. This will even provide more room and allow a lot more freeedom in selecting a holder.

It's still not too late to add your ideas!
    From Hartberger's website:

"HARTBERGER® cardboard coinholders are manufactured of environment friendly materials. None of these can damage your valuable coins. The cardboard coinholder has a window of polypropylene stretch foil, free of acids, lead and softeners, so that the protection of your coins is 100%.."

I bought some of these holders and used them for a few months. Then, when I removed a coin for some reason, I took a good look at the foil on the holder, and was shocked to see an outline of the coin on the foil. This is consistent with what PVC does. I looked at all of my Hartberger holders and there was the exact same transfer on each holder, from copper as well as silver coins. I don't profess to be an expert in chemistry or anything else, but the foil is obviously not inert, and something bad is going on. I immediately removed all my coins from the Hartberger holders and gave them all an acetone bath. The acetone turned a bit cloudy from the contamination. This is consistent with PVC contamination.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

Cacheman, your system looks good but I think you need to send them to me for inspection!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I'm packing everything up as we speak.....image