Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The new guy would like a little help and advise...

Hello! I joined up to ask for a little help and advice. I'm 16 and I've been coin collecting since I was 4. My Grandpa gave me a Bufflo Nickel folder with about 20 nickels in it to start me off. I then started to collect pennies, nickels, dimes, etc.. for modern coinage. For pennies I was seriously helped out by 15 or so rolls of pennies my mom found that she had wrapped and lost in the Mid 1960's. The rest I pulled out of change. Also, I had a lot of help from parts of old coin collections from my Grandfathers and my Dad, like silver half dollers and dollars. When I was 9 and had collected most of the modern coinage that I could, my mom and I found a little coin shop around where I lived so I could work on older coinage. Well, after my first visit the nice owners had given me a book to learn all about collecting, prices, etc..., a United States Type Dansco Album, and a brand new 1996 Silver Eagle to start the book off, all for the cost of the Dansco album. They also give me a 5%-10% discount at the store. Well I've been working on the Dansco Type Set for over 7 years now, with maybe a total budget of 3500$ since I was 4, about 2000$ of of that had gone into this collection. I was wondering how you guys could rate my progress. And give me some advice.

The book is 7 years old, and I don't have the gold type page. With the new state quarters and the sacagawea dollars, I know I need to either get a new page or just replace the book entirely. But, I was wondering if I should wait because of the New Nickel designs for 2004 and 2005.

I only have about a $700 budget or so a year(alot more that my $200 at 9), so how should I go around collecting the gold coins for the gold type page? Start with the lower denominations? Buy lower grades? Just some advise please. I also plan on "upgrading" many of the good and very good pieces in my collection and what ever else I can. Which coins or types do you think I should start at? And finnaly, how do you think I'm doing so far? Don't spare my feelings, go all out if you want to.

Half Cents

Draped Bust (1804) Fine/Very Fine
Classic Head- 13 Stars (1828) Extra Fine +
Coronet (1851) Very Fine ++

Large Cents

Draped Bust (1805) Good
Classic Head (1814) Good
Coronet (1838) Fine
Coronet- Braided Hair (1854) Very Fine - Rim Damage

Small Cents

Flying Eagle (1857) Very Fine
Indian Head- Laurel Wreath (1859) Good
Indian Head- Copper-Nickel- Oak Wreath (1861) Fine
Indian Head- Bronze- Oak Wreath (1891) About Uncirculated - Nick
Lincoln Head- 1909 VBD (1909 VBD) About Uncirculated
Lincoln Head- Bronze- Wheat Heads (1958-D) About Uncirculated
Lincoln Head- Steel (1943-S) Very Good
Lincoln Head- Memorial (1999-D) Uncirculated
Two Cents- Bronze (1866) Extra Fine
Three Cents- Sliver (1851) Good
Three Cents Nickel (1866) Very Fine

Half Dimes

Capped Bust (1832) Fine +
Liberty Seated (1841) Very Fine - Rim Nick
Liberty Seated- Arrows (1854) Fine
Liberty Seated- Legend (1871) Very Good

Nickels

Shield- With Rays (1867) Good
-I plan on replacing this one, it was the only one that they had for 2 years, and at the time I wan't too picky.
Shield- No Rays (1867) Uncirculated
-This one is truly magnificent, and for a bargan too, only 80$.
Liberty Head- No Cents (1883) Very Fine
Liberty Head- With Cents (1883) Extra Fine
Buffalo- Variety I (1913) Uncirculated
Buffalo- Variety II (1937-S) Extra Fine
Jefferson (2000-D) Uncirculated
Jefferson- 35% Silver (1944-P) Uncirculated

Dimes

Capped Bust- Variety II (1835) Fine
Liberty Seated- Stars (1843) Fine
Liberty Seated- Arrows
Liberty Seated- Legend (1887-S) Very Fine
Liberty Head (1911) Very Fine
Mercury (1940) Very Fine/Extra Fine
Roosevelt- Sliver (1946-D) MS 60
Roosevelt- Clad (2003-D) Uncirculated

Twenty Cent Piece

Liberty Seated (1875-S) Very Good

Quarters

Capped Bust (1838) Very Fine/Extra Fine
Liberty Seated- No Motto (1858) Very Fine
Liberty Seated- Arrows (1854) Very Fine
Liberty Seated- Motto
Liberty Head (1909) Fine
Liberty Standing- Variety I (1917-S) Good
Liberty Standing- Variety II (1928-S) Very Good
Washington- Sliver (1941) Fine
Washington- Clad (1995-D) About Uncirculated

Half Dollars

Capped Bust- Lettered Edge (1810) Good
-The front had a very weak strike, but the reverse is magnificent.
Capped Bust- Reeded Edge
Liberty Seated- No Motto (1847-O) Extra Fine
Liberty Seated- Arrows (1854) Extra Fine
Liberty Seated- Motto
Liberty Head (1910-S) Very Fine
Liberty Walking (1942-S) Very Fine
Franklin (1963) Uncirculated
Kennedy- Sliver (1964-D) Uncirculated
Kennedy- Clad (1981-S) Proof
-I pulled this one out of circulation, despite that, it's beautiful.

Commemorative Half Dollars

San Diego (1935-S) Uncirculated
Bay Bridge (1836-S) MS 63
California Diamond Jubilee (1925-S) MS 63
Oregon Trail (1926-S) Uncirculated

Silver Dollars

Liberty Seated- No Motto
Liberty Seated- Motto
Trade (1876-S) Very Good/Fine
Morgan (1921) About Uncirculated
Peace (1922) Extra Fine
Eisenhower (1971-D) About Uncirculated

Bicentennial

Quarter (1976-D) Very Fine
Half Dollar (1976-D) About Uncirculated
Dollar- Variety I- Clad (1976) Uncirculated

Modern U.S. Dollars

Susan B. Anthony (1979-D) Uncirculated
Constitution Bicentennial (1987-S) Proof
Silver American Eagle (1996) Uncirculated

Missing: 6 and gold type
~Richard Dorrance

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your efforts! It looks as if you have a nice set going. As far as advice goes, do what you feel is best. It looks like you are having a lot of fun building your set, and that is what it is all about. Have fun!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Cool, another YN! Welcome to the funny farm! image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Here's Big Fat Welcome to ya!image
  • Options
    Welcome to the forums. Grade wise and all, it looks pretty good. As for the gold, I think you`ve learned the leason of a long term commitment by spending as much time on the set so far. I would like to say go for at least XF+/AU if not higher. But, I there`s alot of other good, more seasoned collectors then I that can possibly give a better or different point of view.
  • Options
    welcome to the boards

gold is expensive - if you want to fill that page - I would suggest getting holed/damaged/ex-jewelry

the disadvantage is the do not have the value (but also an advantage for filling spots)
    if you look hard enough (eBay/yahoo/...) you can get a gold dollar with a hole for $50 or lower

are you collecting for enjoyment - future profit from investment - something to look at?

• Options
    Welcome, youngsterimage

It looks like you're off to a great start. You've certainly got more different types of coins than I did at that age, or than I do even now!

I don't know what to tell you about the gold. God coins are pricey. On your budget, it'll take a while. So I would say...Pick a type you like in a grade that won't take you super long to save for. I would recommend a $10 Indian. It's my personal favorite, a fabulous design, and you wouldn't have to blow your whole year's budget on it.

Take it easy, and Happy New Year!
  • Options
    I'm collecting more for enjoyment. The investment part does also play a role, I mean I could always sell them if I had too. Gold is expensive, but I don't particularly like 'holed' coins. I will have to see what is available too. I might just save up my money and work on getting better examples...

But, about getting a new album or page. Should I wait to get new pages or replace the old album because of the new commemerative nickels? Or will they not be added to the Dansco US Type album?
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're way ahead of the game, certainly a lot farther than most of us were at your age!

Your upgrade plan sounds very sound. As for the gold, my dansco contains choice AU gold coins, because they don't cost too much more than well-circulated ones, yet have all the details of Uncirculated pieces, for a fraction of the cost (my motto: all the detail, for not all the money)

As for the new mint issues, I'd stick with your current album, add the gold page when you're ready, and as far as new nickels and any other new modern coins they start making, by all means collect them if you wish, but there is no reason that one album must contain your entire collection, nor any reason to keep buying a new album (and move your coins around) to try to keep it all in one book. For example, you will someday be ready to buy draped bust silver coins, with either the just the heraldic or both heraldic and small eagles, and the Dansco album doesn't have spaces for those either...

Lastly, welcome, my fellow Type Set fan image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, I'd say you're doing very well.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback.
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    welcome to the boards and an excellent start on your collectionimage

Sets are fun I guess (I never was into them) but just consider some keys sometimes in highest slabbed grade your budget would allow. Dont stop your sets building but periodically come back to key issues collecting.image
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Newbie image

Get hold of Jeremy "airplaneut" on this forum - he's a YN too, and your age to boot - he'll most likely be your best contact over here etc.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Marc
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright! Another 16-year-old (although I turn 17 in two months 13 days image)

I like the looks of that set... sounds just like my type set image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Welcome. you are making good progress. A friendly coin shop can be one of a collectors best assets. Take your time and build according to your plans.

• Options
    Hello! Welcome to the boards! I have a nice 1965 SMS Kennedy in Cam for you free of charge. All I need is a name and address and I'll send it off to you.....Ken ......PM sent!
  • Options
    Just to let you all know, I recieved the young fellows name and address and sent the coin off that I mentioned plus a few other surprize coins. I'd like to see some others folow suit.....Ken
  • Options
    Congratulations on a terrific set.

I would expect that you could pick up the missing pieces this year on your budget. You might still have enough to upgrade some.

I would especially think about upgrading the trime and the 20¢. They are such unusual coins. The cost differences are so little on the trime in circulated grades that I would shoot for an AU/BU.

I especially like the raised "LIBERTY" on the sheild of the 20¢. You won't find that in less than fine. Some fines will not have it either. So I had to shop around on that one.

I would strongly suggest dealing with the gold as a separate collection and buy them slabbed. There's a lot of fake gold out there and many of the fakes are quite deceptive. I consider an ANACS, PCGS, or NGC slab to be reliable authentication.

Have fun collecting this new year.image
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the raised "LIBERTY" on the shield of the 20¢
    you mean this?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    image You can't even read the Liberty on my 20 Cent... image

I recall buying it when my budget was much smaller... Oh how I wish I had an unlimited budget. When I bought my 1810 Half to fill the space their was also a beauty of an Uncirculated Half there that could have filled the very same spot... But atlas, it was way out of my league...
    image Maybe if I gave my left hand and a few toes... hmmmmmmmm...
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    welcome to the forum!

K S
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>Oh how I wish I had an unlimited budget. >>

Well, that makes two of us!

• Options
    Does anybody know of a good book for grading coins. mean one with tons of pictures and detailed grading standards for all US coins?

I use to have a book with the grading standards (somethimes skipmy and vague), very few pictures (mostly to give you an idea of what the coin looks like), none in color (and heck, the pictures were even a bit fuzzy at times). But I lost it awhile ago, and anyways I was probibly undergrading everthing I tried to grade myself...

I was thinking of getting a new one, one that has examples of coins in diffrent grades and atleast a picture of a nice uncirculated piece to be able to compair details.

Is their any website that is like this that I could use until I get a book, or instead of a book?
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    1) "How To Grade U.S. Coins (for Unc and Proof Coins)" by James Halperin

2) "Photograde-Official Photographic Grading Guide For U.S. Coins"by Ruddy

3) " Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins " 5th Edition released by the American Numismatic Association ( ANA for short )

These are considered the general standard reference books for grading and good ones to boot.

This a good place for books and supplies:

http://www.stantonbooks.com/

Oddly enough, for now at least, I can`t find these books on this site. I did get my book suggestion #1 and #3 from this site a few months ago. The books and this site are worth checking into.
  • Options
    Thank you.
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file