Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

World Series Scoring

Here's how the World Series will be scored.

There will be 40 coins. Everyone starts out with 100 points. Points are deducted as follows...

Miss a coin by one grade...minus 1
Miss a coin by two or more grades...minus 2.5
Miss a designation (PL, CAM. FBL, etc)...minus 1.5
Miss a grade/no grade call...minus 1.5
Miss a counterfeit...minus 2.5 (not saying there will be counterfeits, but there might be)

Highest score wins!

We will only post the highest scores, i.e. the two FUN show winners and the contenders for wild card championship berths. (So if you blow it, only you and yours truly will know...and I'm not telling anyone.)

There are about 20 slots left for the FUN show, so call pronto if you want to play in Florida.

Good luck to all.

David Hall

PS...The difference between 63 and 64 is one grade...the difference between 55 and 58 is one grade.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You missed something image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I can only hang on to it so long.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    David: New Year's Eve is tomorrow night -- not tonight...
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Geez....how long does the spell checker take.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    OT. This should be in Sports Talk.

Cameron Kiefer.

We ARE watching you.

• Options

<< <i>(So if you blow it, only you and yours truly will know...and I'm not telling anyone.) >>

Wait a minute! You promised to humiliate Frattlaw! I've been looking forward to that. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Don't use my name JohnZ.

I hope to win the competition and the point system seems fair.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭
    So you're telling me I could end up with a negative scoreimageimage
    I've already told Frank the Pug Dog to bring popcorn when it is my turn ... it could be a nice comedyimage

Edited to add: I wonder if there are any parting gifts: a T-shirt, coffee cup, or sample slab...?
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    What happens when everyone gets 100 points, i.e. a tie? What happens if everyone gets below zero? Might every coin be a counterfeit?

Will there be a contest in Long Beach?

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Russ...Frattlaw and I have a seperate side deal. His score will be posted for everyone to see.

Tom...There may not be any counterfeits...there certainly wouldn't be more than one or two. Nobody is going to get 100 or zero. And I doubt that there will be ties.

Cameron...If you want to bet head to head against Ryan Carroll, I'll take Ryan and give you odds.

To all...I'll say it again...the competition in the dealer division will be extremely tough. Some of the greatest graders in the country have signed up. However, I still think the collector division is wide open and anyone could win...good luck to all!

David
  • Options
    "Cameron...If you want to bet head to head against Ryan Carroll, I'll take Ryan and give you odds."

No thanks. Betting against a former PCGS grader and betting with a person who started the competition and picking the coins isn't a smart move. You know what he is good at.

Cameron Kiefer

• Options

<< <i>Betting against a former PCGS grader and betting with a person who started the competition and picking the coins isn't a smart move. You know what he is good at. >>

HMM...I think I see an insinuation in there somewhere.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>You promised to humiliate Frattlaw >>

Where's the love Russ! And by the way I appreciate the vote of confidence!

<< <i>Russ...Frattlaw and I have a seperate side deal. His score will be posted for everyone to see. >>

Oh, joy!

Hey David -- are you really going to answer questions at the Registry Luncheon? Do I have to submit them before hand? Or are you just going to ignore mine?

And Cammie, I would stay away from wagering, you really aren't that good at it. image

Michael

• Options
    Cameron...how much money are you thinking of betting? Ron Howard and I have already picked out the coins and I certainly wouldn't change them for Ryan Carroll's benefit no matter how much money you bet. The contest is more important to me than any amount of dirty green paper.

I was only trying to make a point that the dealer division is going to be beyond tough. You're a good grader...but there's lots of good graders in the dealer division. Ryan Carroll was the main PCGS verifier for about a year. He looked at 500,000 coins coming thru PCGS. Now he's one of the main guys at the Heritage coin factory. He's got to be considered one of the favorites. But there are others who are just as good in the dealer division.

Want a refund?

• Options
    No thanks. Betting against a former PCGS grader and betting with a person who started the competition and picking the coins isn't a smart move.

LOL! Cameron, you're wise beyond your years. Got to watch out for the sharks eh?
  • Options
    No more betting for me. I want to try to win and thats it. Ryan is a great guy and knows his coins like you say.

<< <i>Want a refund? >>

No thanks. I want to try and do my best.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Michael...I will answer almost everyone's questions at the Registry luncheon. Whether I answer yours or not depends on your score in the World Series of Grading.

David

• Options
    Never mind, I found the details on the PCGS homepage.
  • Options

<< <i>Michael...I will answer almost everyone's questions at the Registry luncheon. Whether I answer yours or not depends on your score in the World Series of Grading. >>

What's the score I need to hit before you will answer my questions?

Michael
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Is there a home correspondence course? image
  • Options
    Michael...I'm not sure...how does 100 sound to you?
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    whats the alotted time to grade all 20.... er 40 i mean?
  • Options

<< <i>Michael...I'm not sure...how does 100 sound to you? >>

That's what I thought. I have as much chance of you answering one of my questions as I do in having PCGS honor their posted guaranteed turnaround times! imageimage

Michael
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael...I'm not sure...how does 100 sound to you?

• Options
    Michael...The chance of me answering one of your questions is exactly equal to the chance that I would answer anyone else's question...David
  • Options
    David --- I think you already know what my first question will be, so why not get it out of the way now. I'm sure you've read my other post "bagging" on PCGS and your ability to meet turn-around times, but if not here's my comment from the Registry Board ---

Does PCGS really care about the "small time submitters?"

I find it extremely difficult to believe that NOTHING can be done about this problem. It's be going on for months now! What will it take to fix it?

We are given nothing but excuse after excuse why they can't meet their promised turn-around times. And then when I read that Braddick can't even get the compensation he was promised (actually legally speaking he should not receive additional free submission certificates, but should be refunded his original submission fee) it infuriates me.

Sorry for the rant, but this is just ridiculous.

Michael
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Has Fratt clinched the 1000.00 bonus level yet, anyone know?image-----------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    David,
    When you say "Miss a coin by one grade," how do you define one grade?

Are they all MS coins? If so, the answer's obvious. If you're including circulated coins, is all VF designations one grade, or is VF20 to VF25 missing by one grade?
  • Options
    Things are getting interesting now! I may have to drive down and stay with my sister in DeLand and go to the show! Need to find a bladder vest so I can smuggle a few gallons of beer in watch the comedy!!!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    barry, from what HRH said in the first post, it looks like "one grade" is measured by the grades that PCGS uses on slabs. VF20 to VF25 would be one grade, 62 to 63 would be one grade.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Jim

thanks for stating the obvious!!image

al h.image
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I'm curious, are the coins being graded eligible for regrade? How about Presidential Review? image

Dan
  • Options
    kranky is right...VF30 to VF 35 is one grade.

Michael...post your question or questions on the Q&A forum and I'll answer for all to see.
  • Options

<< <i>Michael...post your question or questions on the Q&A forum and I'll answer for all to see. >>

I have submitted several in the past..........and they have not been answered. But I will try again.

Michael
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to be a theoretical possibility that if one starts with 100 points, misses every coin by more than one grade, and misses the designation (FSB, FBL etc...) a score lower than the G.P.A of the well-known Senator Blutarski, a Faber College Graduate, is a distinct possibility....image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Cameron

As your official sponsor, what kind of odds is HRH offering? By his own admission, Ryan Carroll has viewed/graded/verified huge numbers of coins, and this should certainly be reflective in the setting of the odds.

For the record, and god's honest truth. I bet against Secretariat.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    I never asked. I want to do the grading without knowing there is extra pressure or money on me.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    David,

Are we allowed any references for varieties? Are there any of the invisible varieties?I'm relating to early bust coinage specifically.

Stewart
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For the record, and god's honest truth. I bet against Secretariat. >>

Heh...I BET that made you look like a horse's ass. image

jom

PS: Sorry...I had to say that one.... image
  • Options
    Stewart et al,

You can bring any reference, magnification, your own light, etc. you want. The only thing required is that you take the test alone. Note: we will supply a light...same one as the graders use, but you can bring your own light if you wish.

Other important note...there are no tricky variety coins. This is a grading test, not an attribution test. The coins are very straight ahead. If you're a good grader, you'll do fine. The one thing that many may find difficult is that...in the words of Ron Howard..."PCGS grading is soup to nuts'" i.e. there are a lot of different types of coins in the test.

I'll give you all one hint (which probably isn't very helpful)...the earliest coin in this first qualifying round is dated 1795...the latest coin is dated 2003. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file