Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Eye popper of the afternoon

Spinaker is here for the day, I begged him to let me photograph one particular copper. Here it is!
Taunt and run... this coin looks better in hand than any photo will ever show.
Joe

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Wow, photo looks pretty darn good! Are you going to let him leave with the coin?image What is the reverse?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Beautiful coin and photo thereof!! image

However - you now owe me a new keyboard because I just slobbered all over mine and shorted it out.....image
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    This coin was photographed inside of its case, 1953 proof South Africa 1/2d. It is part of an 11 coin (2 gold) set. I didn't pry it out to shoot the reverse. YET! Maybe tonight after a few beers, I'll own it.image
    Joe
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    PR-70.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I've managed to pry this coin from him, but the SA copper will take another 12 pack.
    1912 India Quarter Rupee, a splash of color and nicely lustered.
    imageimage

As the beer flows, I'll try to get deeper into his coins.
    Joe
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Me too.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    They are very nice indeed, got to see them in person this evening. The SA proof sets were sweet...... image

I think Joe ran outa beer so Terry will probably go home with his coins..... image
  • Options
    Consider my eye popped!
    Shep
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    nice ones! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They are very nice indeed, got to see them in person this evening. The SA proof sets were sweet...... image

I think Joe ran outa beer so Terry will probably go home with his coins..... image >>

I'll be bringing lots of beer to FUN!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Gorgeous!! You should have given me a head's up and I would have shipped you a case of Shiner Bock. No telling what he would have let slip after that! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    A case of Shiner Bock probably would have netted me ALL his best coins, and his next two paychecks. image

Note to self: Find and keep Shiner Bock in the garage refridgerator...
    Joe
  • Options
    Feeling nostalgic tonite. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Both the coins look awesome. I especially like the 1/4th rupee. Is Mongoose still an active member?
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    His profile says last visited on January 15th, 2012 7:16 PM.
  • Options

<< <i>Both the coins look awesome. I especially like the 1/4th rupee. Is Mongoose still an active member? >>

I seem to remember that 1/4 rupee being the prize in an "Eye Popper" give-a-way shortly after we found it. However, I could be wrong (this time) image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Both the coins look awesome. I especially like the 1/4th rupee. Is Mongoose still an active member? >>

I seem to remember that 1/4 rupee being the prize in an "Eye Popper" give-a-way shortly after we found it. However, I could be wrong (this time) image >>

image I was so hoping to track it down and see if the owner would entertain an offer.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great to see color that somehow I missed the first time

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Wow, I was breezing through the forums today for the first time in awhile...saw this thread. Yeah , Terry the days of us having the run on India coins at Raleigh coin shows, a pretty neat time and opportunity. Remember the time Steve (not Robert image) Damron let us cherrypick a whole ziplock bag filled with fresh 1800s, copper 1/4 annas? I remember picking my 10 favorites.

Update on the 1912 (c) 1/4 Rupee... I sent it off for certification not too long after I pried it out of Terry's hands. It is an NGC MS66, and after looking at it today it has changed slightly in the last 8 years. The blues have grown around the obv lettering, it is actually prettier than it was 8 years ago...more pronounced color.

PeaceBD, I'm flattered by the offer to buy the coin. Although I'm not currently active in buying or selling coins, this coin is one that resides in my boxes of keepers, not for sale. It would be unlikely that I would find another like it without looking at many, many coins.

I hope to see some of you at the FUN shows, old friends or new.
    Joe
  • Options
    Yep,I was wrong. I'm sure mongoose paid me in Guinness for that one. image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options

<< <i>Wow, I was breezing through the forums today for the first time in awhile...saw this thread. Yeah , Terry the days of us having the run on India coins at Raleigh coin shows, a pretty neat time and opportunity. Remember the time Robert Damron let us cherrypick a whole ziplock bag filled with fresh 1800s, copper 1/4 annas? I remember picking my 10 favorites.

Update on the 1912 (c) 1/4 Rupee... I sent it off for certification not too long after I pried it out of Terry's hands. It is an NGC MS66, and after looking at it today it has changed slightly in the last 8 years. The blues have grown around the obv lettering, it is actually prettier than it was 8 years ago...more pronounced color.

PeaceBD, I'm flattered by the offer to buy the coin. Although I'm not currently active in buying or selling coins, this coin is one that resides in my boxes of keepers, not for sale. It would be unlikely that I would find another like it without looking at many, many coins.

I hope to see some of you at the FUN shows, old friends or new. >>

Wow... looks like you guys had a lot of fun back then. I know it would be hard to part with a coin like that and would make it to ones keepers box. I would still call dibs on that coin and be very thankful if you ever decide to part with it.
    Yes, it would be great to meet up with people on here at some of the shows.
  • Options
    Those were the days! image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    Bravo!

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember out get togethers at FUN and the ANA?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don