Home U.S. Coin Forum

please grade this barber quarter

i was surfing ebay looking for a nice example of a barber quarter for my type set and came across ebay #2211033719, which i ended up buying. the coin is sitting on my desk, and is a beautifully toned steel grey, unlike the pictures, but the coin is undoubtedly the same. the color is fine, and detail is just as it is in the description. i would like your impressions as to the grade, before i submit it to pcgs, thanks.

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Here's the linky allimage

Ebay
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Based on the picture, I would say MS-63 seems right.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Good thing I refreshed before I posted, or I'd have looked really slow. image

I'll WAG that coin at AU50.

Russ, NCNE
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭
    Tough to tell from a scan where you can't tilt the coin but I have to agree with Russ. This coin appears to be AU.

Joe.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    voila. here's the pic.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Just curious...those of you that gave it an AU...what reason?
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    If the toning is good (seems to be, but can't tell for sure from the pic.), and there aren't any hairlines, you'll get au/55-58 out of that coin from PCGS. Au/50 is probably too low.
    If you look at the hair on the brow, and the leaves of the headband, notice the "softness"? On the reverse, if you look at the Eagle's wingtips, and the talons, they lack detail. Could be from a weak strike, but the overall "look" of the coin leads you to believe it circulated a bit. The luster doesn't seem "crisp", but rather flat, like it passed hands a bit before someone put it away.
    Good luck with the submission, and let us know how it comes back. You paid market value (close enough) for an au/58, so hopefully that's where it falls, if not sneaking in at ms/61 or 2, which is very possible.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭
    Again, it may be the scan but the luster appears dull and there appears to be rubs or breaks in the luster particularly on the reverse.

This one needs to be seen "in hand" to be accurate.

Joe.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious...those of you that gave it an AU...what reason? >>

On the obverse, there appears to be rub on some of the leaves of the headband, as well as the top of the cap. On the reverse, there appears to be rub across the top of the eagle's wings, as well as his legs.

Russ, NCNE
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    AU55
  • i was hoping for au58, i guess we will find out soon enough.

thanks for the input,
    jose
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious...those of you that gave it an AU...what reason? >>

Compare it to this PCGS MS64.

The 64 has sharp detail that isn't present on the 1909-D.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin. It is a minimum of AU58. It could grade higher, but I would need to see the coin and not rely on the scan. I have a feeling it looks better in person. Once you get the coin, tells what you think.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• i have received the coin, and i think it will get a 58. i wanted something that had nice toning, and this definitely has it, a nice gun barrel grayish/blue, unlike the seller's photo. i am very happy with the coin's appearance for the price i paid.

jose
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photo's suck to try to grade accurately, but at least Au-55, 58
  • does the coin look like the picture?

the reason I ask is the picture looks like it could have been computer enlarged - causing fuzzyiness on face and field in front of nose and mouth - but I can't explain why the blue background looks so good

If picture is good representation - then I go AU55 - wear/rub on cheek and infield in front of eye and mouth

• the coin does look like the scan, at least detail-wise. but i think it is more of a soft strike, rather than rub. i wish i had a camera to give a better look.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Uncirc 62
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin!

appears to grade AU61 or so.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not an expert on this series, but I would lean toward AU55
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    To me, the difference between AU-58 and MS-63 is surface preservation. When you look at the coin, does it have a lot of "circulation" marks? The appearance of a rub could be cabinet friction, etc. Check for excessive marks on the cheek and in the fields. Of course luster is a big part, see how much it has and breaks, if any. I would call it MS-63 due to lack of marks.

Tom
    Tom

• nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Russ on this one...AU-50 or so; but I think it'll probably come back in a pcgs body bag due to AT.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    au55
  • After reading the sellers description again - I think maybe BU 58
  • I'm guessing cleaned and retoned. BB material.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    lol, damn you guys are rough.

technically it may be a 55 but you can market grade it (its an oldie) low mint state and not be unreasonably
    fair IMO.

Lets ask D Hall.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file