Home U.S. Coin Forum

How Many 1964 D's

Hi Guys,
I have a question / guessing game.
How many ms67s-70s can I expect to find in an unopened $1000.mint bag of 1964d quarters,if any?

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on what has happened to the bag since 1964. If it was carefully placed in storage and left unmoved for the past 39 years, then there might be several. Heck, the whole bag could be Gem.

But if it was bought and sold and moved around, oh, a dozen or more times since bagging... probably none of the coins will grade higher than 65.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Depends how much the bag has been moved around. I would guess just a few 67's if you are lucky and none higher. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Guessing from the condition of mint sets and the reputation that the Denver mint had for manhandling coins, I'd say that there would be precious few specimens of this condition in a mint bag. If anything I would venture to say that there might be some interestingly toned coins in there though - if the bag has been undisturbed over a long period of time.
  • As far as I know moved 3 times ,very carefully.
    And so far they all have looked to be 63+s,
    I almost went into shock when I opened it this morning!image
  • What prey tell was the source of your shock?
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭
    Note to self: Unload all high-grade 1964-D quarters as there is a rumor of a glut coming to market!!! image

Joe.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    If the condition of the halves from 1964 (both mints) is any indication, the chances are slim to none that you'll find any grading MS67. Maybe a few MS66's if you're lucky. This year has to hold the record for bagmark to surface area ratio.

Russ, NCNE
  • There are over 300 pcgs graded 64d ms66
    out there already
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • I wouldn't hold your breath, but good luck!
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    More for everyone. Will help keep prices down.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I would say - none MS67 or higher

PCGS has graded roughly 25 at 67 and 1 at 68

if you really want to go crazy - look for double die and triple die - I have no idea where they sre doubled/tripled

It definitely will give you something to do for a few hours

oops - was looking under half dollars
    quarters is a different story -> 13 graded MS67 and none higher
    don't think there is a double or triple die -> but if you found oneimage
  • My eyes are crossing and I am going blind from looking at hundreds of quarters,but am making progress.
    I will go through another couple of hundred,then post a few of my finds,for expert opinions.image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the bag had been perfectly preserved with no jostling right from the very
    beginning in the mid-'60's there would probably be no MS-67 or better coins
    in the bag. Most coins have enough defects when they are made or will acquire
    them independently of bagging operations to keep them out of the superb gem
    class. Adding to the huge odds against a bag containing such coins is the fact
    that a bag is not in any way a random assortment of coins made in a year. Rat-
    her they are populated by brief die runs of only several different die pair. There
    will tend to be several hundred nearly identical examples of each coin that is in
    the bag. This gives one only a few shots at gems but does mean that if you do
    find one then there will probably be quite a few. Even in 1965 the odds wold
    have been against even any MS-66's in the bag. A bag from this era will usually
    contain dozens of MS-65's depending on how well taken care of it has been.
    Tempus fugit.
  • GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Not much of a chance for 67......Probably a good shot a few Double Dies.
    Speaking of........Can some one please tell me what the diagnostics are for a 64-D Double Die Kennedy?
    It it Obverse or reverse?
    Thanks in advance.

Gandyjai
  • Is that you in your sig line?

Cameron Kiefer
  • After looking through about 350 coins I seem to be finding lots of double D's and what appears to be triple D's .
    Triple D's is that possible?

Yes Cameron that is me in the picture on the bottom of my posts.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Zero....lots of 66 coins.....image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • lucky if you get 2% MS67 and most won't be worth slabbing, of course, as said above, the handling of the coins will greatly affect grades.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • ttt
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Update on progress,
    I am blind and crazy now(Thanks sinin) for suggesting I look for double and triple dies.image
    Been through about 400+ and still looking good for some high grades,I am tossing back any with more than 1 bag mark.So far have about 10, but when, or if, my vision comes back will check them over again.
    Thanks guys for all your comments and keep wishing me luck.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful how you throw them backimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Don't burn your eyes trying to do the whole bag in one day. Do 100 or so at a time and take a break.

Cameron Kiefer
    Just checked the coneca site provided by DHeath on another similar thread......
    For the 64-D Kennedy.....There are 16 different DDO's!!!image
    I just went through a few (3) 64-D OBWs. I only found 3 good enough to send inimage

Happy Huntingimage
    Gandyjai
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just went through a few (3) 64-D OBWs. I only found 3 good enough to send in >>

You have a long way to go. I went through 72 rolls and found five to submit, only one of which went MS66. The rest lower.

Russ, NCNE
  • I am sorry - I originally thought you had half dollars

do you have quarters? - not sure if they have double dies - could check the CONECA website
    ( I know even less about Washington quarters than Kennedy halves)

you could be seeing RPM (repunched mintmarks) but die doubling? not sure
    but it will still give you something to do on these cold winter nights
    "You have a long way to go. I went through 72 rolls and found five to submit, only one of which went MS66. The
    rest lower."
    HOLY COW!!!!
    Russ, I know you are just trying to cheer me up.image
    Well, I'll give it my best shot......Kind of like taking a field trip.......Then I'll go back to Ikesimage

Gandyjai
  • I've seen a lot of machine doubling on the 64Ds I've looked at, especially on the mintmark. Here's some pics of DDR #1. Good luck with the hunt!

1964d-25dr-001a.jpg
    1964d-25dr-001b.jpg
    1964d-25dr-001c.jpg
    1964d-25dr-001d.jpg
    1964d-25dr-001e.jpg
    imageimageimage
    Spinynorman,
    Thanks for the GREAT pics!image

Gandyjai

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list