Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why don't Major Coin Shows come to Chicago?

2»

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Written by a life long Cubs fan, now THAT builds character >>

Look at the bright side. At least you're not stuck with The Mariners.

Russ, NCNE
  • Trooper, did you get your microscope yet? I didn't.
  • Again, take the skyway and avoid the Hammond area. The tolls aren't bad. JMHO Steve
  • character!!! It builds outrage...takes people 12 hours to make 8... it sucks....
  • Only time your safe going to Indiana on 94 is maybe 2:00 am in the morning....there is always a traffic jam...like someone said if you dont get off on the skyway your screwed...but if you live in the South Suburbs your still skrewed casue you have to get on 294, unless you want to go downtown and then get on 55 south back into the south burbs....this area sucks for traffic.
  • All those traffic jams. Move to Wisconsin. We got the Packers. No more to be said. JMHO Steve
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why any of the major shows are held where they are since I can't drive to any of them. I vote to have all major shows in Honolulu. If we can bring it to fruition, I'll pay for everyone's parking.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From a former Illinois FIB. That's what Wisconites call them. >>
      I have not heard that for a long time and I hope the people of Illinois don't figure out what it means! mike image
    • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have not heard that for a long time and I hope the people of Illinois don't figure out what it means! >>

We know what it means you friggan cheesehead!!!
      It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
      traffic is horrendous, but come on guys it's just one more thing that builds character CHICAGO STYLE

I could do without the traffic. I take the train everyday because I absolutely would have killed someone by now driving in Chicago - either that or I'd be in an asylum. The Chicago traffic system SUCKS really bad. It's a total crapshoot. It can be a parking lot ANY TIME of ANY DAY - there's no rhyme or reason to it.

To see how traffic should work, head to Indianapolis.
      1 Tassa-slap
      2 Cam-Slams!
      1 Russ POTD!
    • "To see how traffic should work, head to Indianapolis. "

You're kidding right? Indy has the 465 bypass on all 4-sides, ya can't do that with Chicago considering THE LAKE!!!

Also, Chicago and its surrounding areas population is much more extreme than Indys', of course there is going to be more congestion. If you take the Ryan into the loop area you have to contend with all of the incoming expressways traffic dumping into the Ryan, so just stay out of the loop by taking the Tri-State (294).

Oh yeah, and try driving a CAR instead of a John Deere. LOL

Jim

PS, what the hell is a "Hoosier" anyway? Not even Indianas' historical society can figure that one out.
      In Indy you're 15 minutes max from any other point in Indy.

In Chicago you're likely to sit in the toll-booth line alone for 15 minutes. Whoever conceived Chicago's inefficient twisting menagerie of roads should be hung - or forced to drive on those roads everyday. I'm not sure which punishment would be worse.
      1 Tassa-slap
      2 Cam-Slams!
      1 Russ POTD!
    • All this b*tching and moaning about traffic.... anyone ever heard of Metra? Find a nice quiet park and ride lot in the safe suburbs with free parking on the weekends, and take the commuter rail in. Off-peak weekend tickets are super cheap, and you can transfer from the station to the subways. If the convention is held downtown or by the airport, isn't it accessible via mass transit? Your car isn't the only method of transportation, you know. You do not have to sit in traffic if you don't want to.

I suppose that might not appeal to those who may be carrying a locked strong box with expensive purchases. Even if you are, my experiences visiting Chicago, CTA is pretty safe and quiet, especially on the weekends. Now I admit, I don't know how feasable taking Metra is, because I'm not from the area. However, when it comes to events held downtown in major cities it astounds me how many people complain about parking and traffic, but never consider the alternatives. In my corner of the country, A great way to get into Boston and avoid the hellish drivers, non-existant parking and long delays on the Mass Pike is to use mass transit. I just hop off the highway and take the rapid transit lines into the city. Very convienent, safe, and cheap....

Edited for grammar, misspellings and the like..

Tim
    • Tsimmerdown, you are perfectly correct, the Hoosiers can take the South Shore Line from Gary, Indiana, into Union Station downtown Chicago and take the O'hare line to within two blocks of the Stevenson Convention Center in Rosemont (This is where you can also park your car for $1.50 all day, for free if you happen to catch someone leaving a parking space).

But, you have to remember, anytime Hoosiers lose sight of corn they get paranoid. LOL
      Traffic is just an excuse for them.

Jim
      I like the farming references - especially because Illinois is just as much a farming state as Indiana, maybe more so.
      1 Tassa-slap
      2 Cam-Slams!
      1 Russ POTD!
    • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
      The problem with Chicago's traffic is that most of it is Illinois drivers. Fine people, salt
      of the Earth, but they only actually drive when something's up. The rest of the time
      they're likely not even paying attention. Since they all tailgate as soon as someone
      taps his brakes the car behind him will slow down and look for the traffic jam. The guy
      behind him will have to make a panic stop and then it will take a couple hours for the
      traffic jam to clear up since they won't start moving again until the road ahead is perfectly
      clear.

There's also some incredible stupidity on the part of the road builders. Traffic backs up
      for miles almost every morning and most evenings on the Borman because there aren't
      enough lanes where it splits going into Illinois. Any other drivers wouldn't be so impacted
      by having only two lanes in this half mile stretch but Illinois drivers won't accelerate to
      merge if they've had to wait for any lenght of time to get to the merging point.

You could probably put twice as much traffic on Chicago's roads and be within fifteen min-
      utes of anywhere if you could just get rid of all the Illinois drivers.

Believe it or not until next week they've never had a law that the left lane is for passing.
      Rather than call it a passing lane they call it a fast lane and to an Illinois driver, fast simply
      means they're ahead of you so you'll have to wait.

Don't get me wrong though. I love Illinois drivers (Lincoln logs), I just avoid driving where
      ever they are.image
      Tempus fugit.
    • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Chicago traffic system SUCKS really bad. >>

Look at the bright side. At least it isn't Seattle.

Russ, NCNE
    • Okay, wise me up! What is the difference between downtown Chicago and New York! I used to go to the True Value[ Cotter and Company] shows twice a year. No problems for me. Have family and friends in Jersey and New york and go in town all the time! But when my brother worked for Bill Gates in Redmond, that Interstate 5 is some kind of trip regardless of the time of day!!
      I'm with Russ!image
      HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
      Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
    • you say cheesehead like it"s a bad thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file