Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why don't Major Coin Shows come to Chicago?

Anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Because of MadMarty???
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Lucy, is MadMarty that scary, or does his coins put theirs to shame?
  • Options
    He's that scary, he's a Wizard!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Ut Oh...I know now...were in trouble!
  • Options
    Just when everyone is forgetting about Al Capone now we got MadMarty the wizard....I just don't know what this world is coming to.
  • Options
    He brings with him the curse of the dreaded AU58 and PR61!!!!

BEWARE!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    Lucy, is that as in Frankie!
  • Options
    oh no, the pr61 or pr62 curse works great on those hairy post 63 half dollar coins....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    Good question, especially since I have lived in Chicago for the last 15 years. Long Beach and Baltimore are out of driving range for me and many others. Perhaps the situation would be different if someone could turn Mayor Daley into a coin collector instead of just a revenue collector. Chicago has excellent free blues and jazz festivals even though the Daleys aren't particular fans of these types of music. If I could get Hizzoner to start saving Lincoln cents in a Dansco, there might actually be an admission-free coin show at McCormick Place.

We do have the Krause-sponsored MidAmerica Coin Expo in late June every year neaqr O'Hare airport, but perhaps half of the dealers who buy tables here are regional. The last two years of this event had quite a bit of business and good reports from most national dealers, who were looking for buying opportunities.

I grew up in a small town in Minnesota and find most Chicagoans to be essentially the same kind of friendly folk who raised me. Perhaps Chicago's reputation as the "biggest small town" scares off big dealers who don't want to engage in the niceties of small talk with the locals who might part with their dollars reluctantly. I certainly received a cold reception from the nationally-known dealers who made it to the last couple of big shows here, but the local dealers and those from IN, IA, and WI took the time to teach me, as my neighbors in Minnesota once did.

Illinois charges no sales tax on purchases of bullion or numismatic items, so taxes can't be the excuse, unless hotel taxes come into play. My guess is that Long Beach, Baltimore, FUN, and even the St. Louis dollar show filled up the schedule first. Sorry, conspiracy theorists and Mad Marty!

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, conspiracy theorists and Mad Marty! >>

If you get some AU58's on your next submission, you'll know never to doubt the Wizard!

You've been warned....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    ANA convention, August 1999. I drove 10 hours to be there, stayed at the Knickerbocker downtown.

The show sucked, the people at the knickerbocker were rude, and the valet service ripped off my camera. Nice trip.

edited to add: Not to mention that gas was extremely high at the time ($1.45 a gallon compared to $1.05 at home), and parking at the show was $15 a day...a complete ripoff considering I still had to walk half a mile to get inside the show...that part should have been no more than $5 a day.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    I think coppercoins answered your question!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I think the mid-america expo can be called a major show. It's been in Rosemont the last few years and has been very nice also they have a collectable and sports show at the same time in the same huge building. I believe the Central States show will be in Milwaukee again? I hope as this is a very nice location. mike image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Man, I haven't gotten an AU58 in a while!!! Everywhere else can keep the big shows! I like the little shows we get here! There is less compitition for those AU58s and PR61s!!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Problems with the Convention Center?

Here in Phila, the Convention Center gets very little return business. The games the unions play have driven everyone away due to high costs.
  • Options

<< <i>Problems with the Convention Center? >>

This is the biggest problem confronting major coin shows. FUN, the biggest numismatic convention of al will not be back to the Orange Co. Conv Cntr after 2004 because of problems. The biggest of coins shows is miniscule on the totem pole of trade shows and the convention center staffs beat the heck out of the show promoters.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    they get plenty of major coin shows. personally i love chicago, though agree w/ parking, etc. being awful high. once you get to know your way around, you can usually find cheaper parking than the garage next-door though.

K S
  • Options
    just some guesses

lack a promoter to get a major event on the 'show' circuit
    a suitable location for logistics - event have not been found
    not many free times on the 'major circuit' that the big national dealers go to

everyone afraid of the 'bears' found in Chicago
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real money is on the East and West coast. The shows go where the money is. The Midwest is known as a great place to buy, if you can find anything to buy. It's not known as the best place to sell. In the Chicago area the Rosemont convention center has plenty of room but has a steep parking charge for those who drive. This keeps attendance down. There is also a serious traffic congestion problem that occurs every Friday afternoon on the Tri-State Tollway, which is a major route to and from the convention center.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>Why don't Major Coin Shows come to Chicago? >>

Good question, I've wondered this myself.

The best it gets is three tables at a Holiday Innimage

OK, maybe not that bad, but pretty close.
  • Options
    Well Cooper you pretty well explained it...yes Chicago is all those things...sometimes I wonder why I stay here...Everything you do cost an arm and a leg...and the traffic jams are no fun either...I just dont know what draws people here.
  • Options
    XpipedreamR, that is almost the truth...these shows are not very big.
  • Options
    Lucy, I get what you are saying now...they rip you off at the shows here....well thats why I will not buy the old coins...I am not good at grading them...and it has been pulled on me here when I first started...so I went to Moderns and order them from the Mint. But a show would be fun to go to...and there might be an honest Joe in the bunch.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    It is alleged that the large convention centers are "run" by organized labor. It makes it very expensive and limits what you can do. It seems you need an electrician to plug in a table light. Also those hired to handle the goods feel that entitles them to half.
    Expense, security and a thin market seem to prevent a coin show from being established.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I went to Mid-America last year and yes, parking was outrageously expensive and traffic was an absolute NIGHTMARE. We sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic from the Indiana border to the show, there and back.

That parking garage is a real screw-job. On the main road there's a right-hand turn that just says "parking". This is a one-way street. Only after you get to the gate do you find out that parking is $15 and you can't turn around. $15 for parking in a suburb? I can park in the Loop for $15.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    "I went to Mid-America last year and yes, parking was outrageously expensive and traffic was an absolute NIGHTMARE. We sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic from the Indiana border to the show, there and back.

That parking garage is a real screw-job. On the main road there's a right-hand turn that just says "parking". This is a one-way street. Only after you get to the gate do you find out that parking is $15 and you can't turn around. $15 for parking in a suburb? I can park in the Loop for $15."

Baccaruda, first, if you sat in bumper-to-bumber, you took the "Ryan"(cheap) instead of Interstate 294(tollway) where you could have zipped all the way up to O'hare (5 minutes from the convention center at the most).

AND,

You could have parked at the mass transit parking lot for a buck and a half ALL DAY!!!

So, your lack of planning is nobodys fault but your own.

Jim
  • Options
    Park for the Mid America show about 2 blocks north at the CTA parking lot $2 (maybe 3) bucks all day.
    A show in May in Milwaukee is not that for.
  • Options
    Live and learn I guess.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭✭
    The trouble with the CTA lot is that the secret is out and there wasn't a single spot to be had last time the Mid-America show was in town. Between the collectors of coins, sports stuff and dolls, the lot was jammed. And don't attemp to park in an "un-official" space. If you think parking is expensive, you should see what the city charges for towing!
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    I live 5 minutes away, I can fit 4 cars in my driveway, I have 2 couches in the house,and some floor space, 2 couches in a finished room above the garage.
    I should open a couch, beer and breakfast.

Tom
  • Options
    Veep is right - between the 3 different shows they had going on at the same time it was way too crowded. Most people were there for the sports show.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    Are you taking reservations now Trooper? What kind of beer is included? Do you provide a shuttle service?
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    Barracuda
    No reservations at this time, girlfriend is going through a divorce and I won't know if she's keeping her house or will looking for a place to crash. She wouldn't go for a crowded house. Wouldn't bother me though.
    Miller High Life is the beer
    Shuttle service is no problem

Tom
  • Options
    I'm picturing one of those Chinese rickshaws with a cooler full of High-Life strapped to the back. How far off am I here?

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    WHAT no PBR!!!! But we do have the Mars Cheese Castle on the way!!!!

• Options
    PBR LOL - I don't think the rickshaw comes equipped with an emergency porta-potty...
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    Marty
    If your going to do PBR you might as well splurge and get Schlitz, now that's a beer.
    Barracuda the rickshaw is way off. I have a wheelbarrel with an umbrella. If you sit side saddle it can fit 2.

Tom
  • Options
    Hmm a wheelbarrow, umbrella, and a case of Schlitz. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    Chicago does have an annual major show, the CICF (Chicago International Coin Fair). It draws dealers from all over the world. Of course it's all Darkside and better than 50% ancients. (The coins not the dealers.)
  • Options
    <<Hmm a wheelbarrow, umbrella, and a case of Schlitz. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster>>

The good thing is that your sitting in a wheel barrel after drinking all that Schlitz....I'll have to hang a roll of TP on the front. It'll act as a bumper too...
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I admit I am guilty of not attending the MidAmerica show. Even though I only live 100 miles from their I do not relish the drive through traffic even on 294, the parking hassles and the expensive hotels rooms around the airport. I'd rather fly to Milwaukee, St Louis or Indy for Central States. The Tristate can be a fricking parking lot all the way to the IN state line too.
  • Options
    Marty "the Ice Pick" lives there and nothing goes down without his say-so!!!!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    "The Tristate can be a fricking parking lot all the way to the IN state line too."

That's total bullcrap. The only time there is a back-up is when there is a massive accident. At the border of Illinois-Indiana there is usually a small back-up between the intersection of 80-94/80-90/394-294 and Calumet Avenue strictly because of the bottleneck, once past the bottleneck it is clear sailing.

Oh, and by the way, if the Tristate is a parking lot, you can bet the car at the front has an Indiana license plate.image

Jim
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The convention setup here is crappy (I live in a northern suburb of Chicago). Whereas in Baltimore you can stay at one of several hotels, have a choice of restaurants, all within walking distance to the show, it is not bad. In Chicago a car is de rigeur if you are going to the conventions over by the airport. The downtown convention spaces also stink, if you go to McCormick forget about walking anywhere and even Navy Pier is only slightly better. The parking here is a ripoff and if you stay anywhere nice by the airport it is gonna cost a lot. There is a cheap Motel6 down the road which is kinda scary (I met up with some coin dealers down there last time).

Chicago has a great downtown and many really neat neighborhoods, but it rots for conventions.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Next time it takes 5 hours to get back from Ohare Airport on the Tristate I will remember your post nogoverment and remind my wife what you said.image
  • Options
    Man, I haven't gotten an AU58 in a while!!! ...Here's hoping it stays that way until my SMS gets back!!!!!......Ken
  • Options
    Unless you are driving during main rush hour, the traffic isn't bad. Try taking the Indiana Skyway and come up the Dan Ryan and Kennedy. It usually isn't bad. Except during rush times. From a former Illinois FIB. That's what Wisconites call them. JMHO. Steve
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭✭
    From a 40 year native Chicagoan: I'm absolutely with the camp that says that the Tri-State can be totally unbearable. In my view, the south end is the absolute worst section in the entire area to have to drive. I consider myself traffic hardened after all of these years, but if I can not plan to get through, during non-peak, the east end of Illinois where I-90/94 heads into/out of Indiana, I will not go. I have also been stuck frequently during non-peak for no apparent reason. All of the traffic from I-80/I-90 & I-94 converges here to get around the south end of the lake. You've got four lanes and three of them are solid 18-wheelers.

Traffic here is a fact of life, you just have to accept it. No sense being p.o.'d every time you drive. But, that 12 mile stretch can drive even the most seasoned traveller INSANE!
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    I agree with Veep! I avoid that area of the Tri-State at all cost! I would rather drive through downtown and take the Skyway then the Tri-State!!

• Options

I live in the north suburbs now, but I grew up living on the southside and south burbs, traffic is horrendous, but come on guys it's just one more thing that builds character CHICAGO STYLE. Written by a life long Cubs fan, now THAT builds character, or leads to a lifetime of despair. Where is that Steve Bartman i'm gonna kick his A$$, sorry still a little bitter.
    PCGS certified Modern Commemoratives and American Eagle Gold Bullion, Type set coins, CC mintmark coins, Confederate currency, Shield Nickels XF and better,HOF sports cards graded/ungraded

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file