Home U.S. Coin Forum

Look at this extreme orange peel

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is this extreme orange peel on this 84 or what???
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    That variety should be called smallpox.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty wild. Are you sure it's mint caused?

Russ, NCNE
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's either a very bad copper plating job, which happened a lot with the first zinc and copper plated cents in the early 1980s. OR it was done later outside the mint. If the color is as bright and brassy as what is showing on the scan, I'd vote for plated out side the mint.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's real Russ and Bill. I pulled this out of a new bank roll back in the mid 80's looking for an example of the DDO. I started looking for these extreme examples of bubbling and have quite a few fine examples from both 83 and 84 (both bad years for the mint's quality control) What does bother me is what looks like some signs of PVC damage on the reverse even though this was stored in a non-PVC 2X2

• << <i>That variety should be called smallpox. >>

My thoughts exactly!
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few 1983 cents that look like that when I took them out of their original rolls. Also have some that have that spotting like yours have. Those came out of the same rolls.

Like several zits that you can just pop and watch all the ooze pour out. image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that the spot is PVC. It could be a hole in the coating with the zinc showing though. Check it with a strong glass.

I saw an 1983 doubed Die with the hole in the plating back when I was shopping for my in the 1980s. The metal under it was corroding badly. Unplated zinc does that, which is why these cents are bio-degradable within a few months if they are lost in the great outdoors. I would not have touched that '83 doubled die with ten foot pole. I'd be afraid that I would end up with a holder or envelope full of zinc oxide, not the stuff you put on your nose either. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • barf
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You were right Bill, it is a break in the plating, well I'll be darned. I knew the 2X2 was PVC free. I don't have any other good examples with me here today, but I have an 83 that shows some of the same also--Orange Pell all the way.
  • GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I'm surprised you haven't taken a beating for using the term "orange peel".

Last time the adjective came up as a "descriptor" there were numerous posts on how it could only be used for early copper proofs (I think it was IndianHead), but I;m not sure. I heard the term applied to various coins that have surfaces resembling an orange peel, but ....

Anyway, I thought it was somewhat humorous.
    Gilbert

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file