Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do I notify eBay or otherwise ensure he doesn't get away with this?

RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
Scam

This is in an ANACS net 60 holder, cleaned. It was in Teletrade's auction last night, and he apparently just cropped their pix.

Edited to add: I already sent the seller a link to the Teletrade lot.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    wiscoinsin sounds like a board members name. I doubt they could be the same though.

If you have a free e-mail address make a new eBay account and bid way more than anyone else would pay. Then don't pay and leave negative feedback image
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll try that.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another dishonest seller (for not mentioning it was cleaned). He was probably high bidder in the teletrade auction and will crack the coin when he receives it. Other than that, not a lot different from many of the raw coin sellers. I am sure ebay will do nothing.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Rick,

Here is the link to report the misrepresentation.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks. I'll try that. >>

You should snipe though so he dosen't cancel your bid for being a newbie and block you.
  • Options
    He might have won the coin yesterday and just used their pics. Still did not represent the real grade of the coin or the fact of the cleaning.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Contact Ebays "Safe Harbor", and report that the seller is misrepresenting the coin he is selling. Be sure you refer to the Ebay item number..... They will instruct you if any other info is needed.image
  • Options
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    well it closed, with a winning bidder I think - how did they do?
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Somebody else just negged him for selling a coin off Tele. and not deliveringimage-------------------------------Bige
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, once it is cracked out of the ANACS holder, it is no longer an ANACS coin. The seller can describe it as he pleases. Grading is an opinion. This seller's opinion obviously differs from that of ANACS. Judging from the bids it has received on eBay there are apparently some collectors who agree with the seller. No one, buyer or seller, has to agree with what a slab says.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I like the $12.00 shipping feeimage
  • Options
    I went back to Teletrade to see how it sold there

tele link

same coin - if he bought it there $675 + buyers premium + shipping -> $750

if the seller - was just scamming pictures, wouldn't he got something a little further back so people wouldn't remember a very recent sale?
  • Options
    I talked to Teletrade, and he WAS the winning bidder. However, irrespective of that, his auction was one big misrepresentation of the quality of the coin.image

Edited to add: eBay told me (before I talked to Teletrade) that they could do nothing unless Teletrade contacted them.imageimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Rick,

Teletrade divulged buyer information to you? So much for their privacy policy.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Because you never really know who the seller is, and they might be doing something legitamit (like this auction seems to be) I always contact the person you think owns the coin (teletrade in this instance perhaps) and let them take action.

That's the course of action I followed back when I used to watch eBay for 16-D dimes for sale. I had seen one seller who had tried a couple of times to sell an NGC 63 dime. After the coin hadn't sold and was off of eBay for about a week, a scam artist stole their picture (in this case, the whole image) and was running an auction. So I contacted the seller and refered them to the new auction letting them know someone was using their image. They then contacted eBay and the auction soon came down.
  • Options
    Teletrade divulged buyer information to you? So much for their privacy policy.

Russ - Yes, they did.image I didn't think much of it at the time, but imageimage
  • Options
    This guy just got booted from ebay. By his feedback, it looks like he stiffed a few people first.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The "bidder" who won this obvious Teletrade picture and left a positive also got booted.

The slimeball's alter ego perhaps? Man, I wonder how many got shafted before eBay pulled the trigger.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    WOW!! I very nearly bought a coin from this guy about a week ago-- had a bad feeling about it, though! Goes to show... trust your instincts!
  • Options
    The high bid for that auction was $1,213
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't see that he got booted off E-Bay, but from the feedback (83% positive), he pays for what he buys, just doesn't ship what he sells in a timely manner.

Ratings less than 99% positive are subject to a closer scruitiny.

If he was the actual owner of this coin, having purchased it from Teletrade, he has the right to describe the coin as he sees fit. (Once it was cracked out of its ANACS holder). I didn't check out his return policy, though.

I am a bit disappointed in Teletrade divulging the name of the winning bidder. Did they drop their privacy policy ? image That's disappointing !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RKKay

Good Catch....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file