Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins at antique shops???

Okay, I saw the thread about pawn shops. What about antique shops? Anyone find any good coins there???image

Comments

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen from antique shops, I wouldn't buy them. I've only seen low grade trash. Maybe someone else has had better luck than me.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    One of the coin shops in my area is an antique store. They set aside a portion in the back a couple years ago and hung out an extra shingle. I've never found anything worth buying.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I bought a gold coin on eBay from an antique store

It was die-struck copy - they screw$d me out of $200
  • Options
    No, but I did find a cool fountain pen.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    My wife loves to antique and we go to a lot of shops. I just never paid that much attention to the coins in those places. I just wondered if anybody found anything besides pocket change....LOL!image
  • Options
    Thats probably why you never see Bowers and Merena on the Antiques Roadshow.
  • Options
    In several antique shops around southern Ohio, there are one or more consignments where coins are featured. If you can find one that has something that you would consider buying and the price is not skyhigh, you can do ok. This does not happen very often. In Charlottesville, VA., there is a display by Liberty Coins in one of the flea-markets. They have some decent coins...Morgans and moderns like proof and mint sets.

Like everyone else, I keep my eyes open when the wife and I are flea-marketing.image
    Gary
  • Options
    About a year and a half ago there was a story in the EAC journal Penny-Wise about one members find in an antique mall junk box. He picked up an 1804 half cent in Fair 2 with a counterstamp for 25 cents. Turned out to be a Cohen-2, a VERY tough R-6 coin. It sold in last years EAC sale for I believe in excess of $2400. (Lists at 10K in AG-3.. Finest known is only a 12 coin and by the time you get down to the sixth finest known you are at G-5.)
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭
    I found an AU53 VAM Morgan(I forget which VAM it was, coin has since been sold) that I picked up for about $23. The rest of what this guy had was mostly circ Kennedys and Franklins and smaller coins, nothing older than about 1955.
    imageimage

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes lighting CAN strike at an antique shop, but most of the time it's low grade junk and sky-high prices. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Hey Bill not to change the subject but I saw on your email addy Tampa bay. You know I was rasied in Pinellas county. I lived there most of my life in a small beach town. That area was my home up until about 3 years ago. After government service the wife and moved to a small town in Northern NH. We run a small business from our home.We just couldn't take the congestion there any longer. When I was a kid there wasn't a Condo for miles along the Pinellas beaches. Just nice sea oats and dunes the place is ruined now. You have to go up into the pan handle to find the nice white beaches like the ones we had there in Pinellas county years ago.
  • Options
    MSD61:
    I live in Palm Harbor, pm me if you're ever back home in Pinnellas Co.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a small antigue shop in Rocky Mount, VA that had three coin cosigners in there. Two were totally junk and high to boot, but one of the others had some decent stuff and priced with an older Redbook.

One day last year I stopped by a picked up the better stuff in the case that was priced fair.

1795 Large cent vg 125.00 (little corrosion, but still decent)
    1869 Indian VG 20.00
    1872 Two center Vf 85.00
    1818 Bust quarter Full good 30.00
    1825 Bust Half AU 75.00 (was marked XF, but I thought it was Au easily) came back as Au-53 from PCGS

sold them all and did fairly decent on the group

There was an 1875-s 20 center in VG-10 but was priced high at the time, well with recent price increases, I went back to get it last month, but this cosignor has closed up an gone. Now only the two remaining are left with Junk and high prices!

jim
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    This summer my wife and I took a ride and did some "antiquing". Each shop we entered, I asked about coins, and was usually shown a small case of circulated Morgans with asking prices of $20 or so. I would check for dates, but that was only out of boredom. One shop we entered received the same question, but the owners exclaimed an exciteful "YES"! They proceeded to pull out an old pocketbook full of a relatives old coin collection. Nothing outstanding, but not your typical "junk". Some better date Morgan's, seated material, and a roll of circulated Liberty nickels just to name some of the stuff. There was even a bit of circulated gold too!
    Better than your typical "junk", and if nothing else, it was fun to go through at home after the purchase.

I wouldn't expect to make a "find" like this one again at an antique shop though.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Every coin that I have checked at antique shops are common and/or over priced. Tho some of the stories behind them are great. Bob
    Pecunia in arbotis non crescit.
  • Options
    I have come to find a few antique shops that to me were pawn shops in disguise. Never really looked for coins there but to me most of the other stuff was over priced junk. Then you have a person working there trying to convince you that it's all great stuff as he lefts your wallet out of your pocket.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    flea markets are fun for me but I think its just the hunt because I've never found anything of any great value.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found antique shops to be a waste of time and gas many years ago. Coins are usually severely overpriced. The same goes for tokens andf medals.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    I agree ..the one place in my town is high.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file