Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian coins

Hello. I'm thinking about getting into Canadian coins a little bit, probably silver, this century, especially quarters. Are there any good eBay sellers that you could let me know about?

I'm just looking for some very general direction here.

Comments

• Options
    Gatewestcoin and Colonial Acres are two I've dealt with for two or three years, and I'm quite happy with. They've always pulled through for me. They're
    on ebay and also have website. Nice to see another Canadian coin collector image

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Clankeye always seems to find killer Canadian quarters. Try asking him.

Welcome to the Dark!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    it depends on the the grade of coin you want. If you want the routine coins - then the big players like gatewest are your best option. If you want top notch coins, then Michael Walsh is a good one - he goes by canadiancoinoisseur.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info!

I checked on eBay for gatewestcoin and colonial acres, and both showed no items for sale, as well as no history of past sales. Can that be?
  • Options
    Here is a link to Colonial Acres:

Colonial Acres

You can buy from them directly, and get their eBay information at that site. I have had no problems dealing with them. I find they are responsive, and will consider credible offers.

I have found a lot of my 25c pieces at coin shows. Other than that, I do get them from Colonial Acres, a place called J&M J&M, and eBay. Here is a link to The Canadian Coin Reference Site LINK. That might help you.

As far as collecting 25c pieces, I recommend the George VI series for the following reasons: (1) It's a short series--1937 to 1952. (2) It is affordable. (3) there are varities, such as the 1947plain, Maple Leaf, and Dot--also the 51 & 52 Low relief and High relief coins.... (4) there are tougher dates, the 38, 48 etc, and (5) there is a king date--the 47 Dot.

They are fun and affordable. And getting into higher grades of preservation they are really harder to come by than people think.

The other way I collect the 25c pieces is by cameo designation. I am putting aside coins from the 60's (you could also do this with coins from the 1950's) that I find with Heavy Cameos.

I find that ICCS graded coins are very credible, and help a lot in the search. Especially on eBay.

Hope that helps a little.

Carl

Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    For some reason the J&M link doesn't seem to work. You can access them through the Canadian Coin Reference Site, I do believe.

Carl
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Besides both Gatewest and Colonial Acres, a couple of my eBay favorites are rscoins.ca and ccc-ccdn. I've used J&M's site for reference, but never bought anything from them.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    The J&M link doesn't work because you have it as http://https://...

If you take off the first http:// it's fine!

J&M
  • Options
    J&M has a tendency of not having items listed online in-stock. Of note, they take lots of precautions for security, so if you ever visit them in-store in Vancouver, it's likely they won't show you much (1 coin at a time vs a getting to look at a box, tray or binder). Lots of lost customers do to those procedures.
  • Options
    That would drive me nuts going into a coinstore and only viewing one coin at a time. Dumb policy if they want to keep customers happy.