Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My AU SLQ set is finally complete

Well sort of. With the recent addition of a nice original 1927-S in XF-40, my AU-58 set of Standing Liberty Quarters is now complete. It's truly been a labor of love, of course not just any old coin would do. All coins are strict AU-58 with the exception of the filler 1916 in Good-4. ( I have a certified AU-55) and the XF 1927-S which will be upgraded when the right opportunity presents itself.

If there's one thing I came away after building this set, it's that the Standing Liberty Quarters are a real pain in the butt. The relatively short series has more than it's fair share of difficult dates and trying to find coins that are reasonably original and problem free only compounds the problem.

Anyway, it's done for now. Time to move on to one of the many other projects I've got going. I know it's not as exciting as 1884 and 1885 Trade Dollars but if anyone wants to see a pic, just click below.

Click here! image

Comments

• Options
    Congrats. image

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Congrats! What is next?

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    Congrats. image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    very nice SLQ set.

you have a certified AU55 `16 SLQ?
    got a pic of that one?
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats! What is next? >>

Thanks! Lots of stuff. Barber Dimes, Mercury Dimes, Barber Quarters, Commems etc. Not so gung ho about completing those per-se but some of the Wayte Raymonds they're in are showing positive signs of progress so I'm plugging along when the right coins show up.

Generally I'm not a big set advocate, feeling that it's better to put the money which would otherwise be spent on common dates towards semi-key and key dates instead. The set mentality puts pressure on to buy coins just for the sake of filling holes. It's better to have a partial set which is comprised of truly nice coins than it is to have a full set which was thrown together in a big rush without a total dedication towards quality. Seems obvious but the way some people do it these days I kind of wonder. I don't always follow my own advice to a tee but I do what I can.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    neat set!image mike
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    where's the 8/7???imageimage
  • Options
    That's a set I always wanted by could never afford.
    Very nice job

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options

<< <i>very nice SLQ set. you have a certified AU55 `16 SLQ? got a pic of that one? >>

Thanks again. I most certainly do have a pic of my baby. It's actually lacking a bit of detail due to being struck from rusted dies, but the originality is to die for so it makes up for it. Thought I was paying all the money for it about 4 years ago, now you can't get a VF for the same price.

• Options

Nice set. It looks at home in the album. image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>where's the 8/7??? >>

Ah yes, forgot to address that one, thanks for reminding me. Anyone got a nice Fine for sale? image
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Cool set. AU-58 is my favorite grade, although true AU-58's are now mostly MS-62's and new AU-58's were AU-55's.

Thanks for sharing the photos, too. Congrats!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    That is a nice set. Mine is far from being complete. Then I'm crazy and have been buying high grade ones. Thanks for selling me my first FH MS 65 last year.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice set. Congrat.'s !!! K
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful job Jon! I'm psyched for you!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Nice set image
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Someone once said that in every passionate pursuit, the object pursued isn't nearly as valuable as the pursuit itself. Well, you blew that all to hell! What a set!

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    Very nice...just love to see nice coins carefully selected in albums.
    Bill
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and new AU-58's were AU-55's. >>

If you're lucky.

Nice set Jon, but what...no FH's? lol

Your next set should be Barber Quarters. With that set in AU58 you could come back into the forum and tell us you are done and show pictures....sometime in the year 2057. image

jom
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tonelover -

Thanks for sharing. What a really NICE set!

What an accomplishment. I tried to complete a strictly original XF set about 15 yrs ago, but gave up after only completing half the set. Many of the dates are just impossible to locate.

Congrats!
    Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jon, Congrats on completing your set. The album pages look like they are from the same era ! Nice going ! Isn't it a killer not to crack out the AU 1916 ! I know exactly how you feel ! Finding a raw untampered with 1927-S in AU 55-58 is a challenge, but they are out there. I located one in a Superior sale in February, 2002 and had to pay dearly for it; but " ...ya gotta do what ya gotta do...".

Good luck with the Barber quarter set. I'll keep my eye out for better dates for you. The 1909-O is a stopper, I located one a couple of years ago in raw-"58", sent it into ANACS, and it came back UNC details,
    cleaned, net AU50. I never noticed any hairlines, the toning hid what few there were.

Talk soon, Mike
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    where's the 8/7???imageimage >>

Looks like there's one more. Great set of quarters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file