Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rusty Die or improperly prepared alloy or ???

I just purchased an 1860 IHC with wonderful luster--except for a splotchy area on the reverse. What do you think causes this type of discoloration? Is it a result of the coin having been struck with a rusty die or improper planchet alloying or what? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I tend towards the easiest explanation, something came into contact with it after striking.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a concentration of copper to me. You have to remember that these coins were 88% copper and only 12% nickel. Many of these coins toned with a coppery hue. Collectors don't like because they think these coins should be "white," but the copper toning is perfectly natural.

Given the contact marks on the obverse and in the fields, this will grade in the MS-63, 64 range. Given that I would discount the piece too much for the copper spot.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    doesnt appear to have been a problem for PCGS to grade.
    i wouldnt worry about what PCGS feels wasnt a `problem`

what grade is it? 64 or so?
    atleast that i,m thinking.

• VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    MS64.

Most if not all of the scratches are on the slab. There are a couple of small dings on the reverse and a planchet depression on the obverse, but overall the surfaces are quite smooth.

If the reverse had the same even color as the obverse, I think it would have made 65. On a coin as 'white' as this one, the spot on the reverse is pretty noticeable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file