Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Reeded Edge 1832 Half??????????

tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
Reeded edge 1832?

comments, not thinking of buying here, just weird to me.

tom
Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Eight ball says that outlook is not favorable. Especially since the source I looked at indicated only lettered edges for that date. Likely an alteration. I know that collared striking was more common in 1836, but I have read that for gold it actually started a tad earlier
  • Options
    My 1932 has lettering and well I would tell you the other marks if I could get it out of the blasted airtight. Don't remember what it was. Was a junk coin I got cause of the strike but it was holed at some point and filled. Got it for less than 20 bucks in a lot buy.

Dave
    In Laurel
    MD
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Reeded Edge half dollars started with the introduction of steam presses at the U.S. mint in 1936. The coins were struck in closed collars and the reeding and main devices were struck on the coin in one operation.

Yes, the U.S. mint did issue reeded edge coins from 1795 onward (NOTE the 1794 dated half dimes with reeded edges were actually minted in 1795), but the reeding was added as a separate operation.

I'm pretty sure that this coin is an alteration. If it's not, it's one heck of a fine that is worth far more than the current bid. The trouble is there is almost no chance that it is a genuine reeded edge half dollar.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I didn't see a pic of the whole coin!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Click on the line that says "other pictures" or something like that. The coin has all the ear marks of a normal screw press, lettered edge half dollar.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Thanks, Bill.
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    This is the correct edge type for that coin. It is a lettered edge half. It is called the "adopted edge 1830-1836. The Redbook has a good picture of it.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~
  • Options
    was just looking at my 1835 to compare

the lettered edge says
    "FIFTY ||||||||||| CENTS |||||||||| OR ||||||||||| HALF ||||||| OF |||| A ||||| DOLLAR |||||| * ||||||||"

between the words are areas that llok like reeding
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    it's a post-mint alteration. no premium.

K S
  • Options
    dorkkarl,
    With all due respect, on what do you base your statement?
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~
  • Options
    RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    sinin1 got it right. This is a normal edge for the period with some clever photography on the part of the seller. Take a look at the enlarged image of the edge. Upper left you can see OR, lower right is H(ALF). Both just out of focus in an apparent attempt to deceive. Worked pretty well, too. Someone paid 160 bucks (incl shipping) for a common VF30 - 35.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The letter F for the start of fifty can be seen on the far right of the picture. This is not reeding, but more properly called "edge grooving" that started on an experimental basis in 1830, and used on all bust halves in 1832. The edge grooving was made by the two edge dies on the Castiang edge letterin machine. Just a regular bust half coin, nothing special. High bidder paid too much.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Nysoto's got it closer. AR on upper left, F lower right. Both out of focus. You can barely see the star btwn two reeds.
  • Options
    dorkkarl,
    The reason I asked you to clarify your statement, was because I thought you may have spotted something that I missed.
    When I confirmed that the auction coin had the correct edge, in my earlier post, I didn't expect anyone to come back and say that it was altered. Especially after I had offered confirmation of my statement by directing everyone's attention to the photo of that edge type that is shown in the Redbook.
    So when you said that it was altered, I figured I must have missed something.
    As it looks now, I'm thinking that you were just expressing your opinion, based on your own experience.
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file