Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Michigan State Show report--------a 430 mile whirlwind trip!!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'd like to start out by saying thanks to member numobri and a few of his friends who were very gracious hosts and put on a first class show. Brian is involved with the organization, told me he's been helping for 15 or so years and it can be seen in the way the floor was set up and the general demeanor of the dealers. Ironically, I met him at the close of the floor on Saturday and we had dinner together, talked coins and collecting strategies along with show-and-tell of some lovely coins. Thanks Brian, maybe next time I can get you to pay for dessert!!image

I had planned on being at the show Friday-Sunday but had to change plans cause my mother had open heart surgery Friday morning. I snuck away early Saturday and returned home late that same night, hence the whirlwind. This was a show that had much to offer for any collector, moderns to classics, raw to slabbed, any and all grades, ancients, medals and foreign. The floor was set up well with wide aisles so there was no butt-rubbing like some shows and the abundance of dealers meant two rooms.

I stopped in the smaller room first and made a trip around the tables, thinking the room was larger than it really was due to some mirrors at the far end. It was kind of funny when I realized I was looking at myself standing at a table. I hope nobody saw. DOH!!!! Member boz spotted me and we chatted for a while. I gladly ate my slice of humble pie about loosing the OSU-Michigan bet and handed him a 1950 NGC Jefferson graded MS66 and headed for the larger room.

While making a quick tour of the tables I ran into a dealer I've seen in Cleveland a few times who belongs to the Michigan Historical Society and he gave me some info about an article/research he's doing about the Great Chicago Fire and it's possible connection with a Comet. Interesting stuff and a bit funny that we meet at coin shows and almost never talk about coins!! I'd been looking for mdwoods and finally broke down and called him, to no avail. He managed to find me in the middle of the hall and we swapped a few quick stories and looked at some magnificent patterns in dealers case. I only wish I could afford these things. The designs we chose not to use are mind boggling to me. My question is how can we get them on our circulating coins today?? Are you listening Henrietta??!!

Having made one complete trip around the floor I needed to decide what to buy if anything. I had seen a lovely 1935/34 Boone commem in NGC MS66 with beautiful pastel color, reds and blues, along with strong luster that was my eventual choice. I reasoned that I could find some of the other type coins I'm hunting easier than another toned Boone. With that said, some of what I saw that caught my eye----nice 3CN Proofs of all dates, a Lincoln commem in PCGS MS65 with great Gold tone and fantastic luster, a bullseye rainbow California(raw), a 1962 Jefferson MS66FS, several $2 1/2 Sesqui's. Saw a PR68 NGC Buffalo, also!!

When I bought the Boone, the dealer also had a great looking Pan-Pac half with similar tone and about 20 Bust dollars. Man, I wish i could have pulled the trigger on that half!!! After drooling there and talking for a bit, I went and viewed the auction lots. That was nice but ended up being a waste of time because I couldn't even bid on anything, they either started way too high or passed my top bid in a heart-beat.

Ran into Dennis from Jade Coin again and aside from seeing his lovely copper, he hooked me up with member Numismatist and we talked some about the "Orange Peel" issue that was discussed on a thread by CarlWohlforth. Very nice meeting Ron, he seems knowledgeable and passionate about coins. We made a tentative plan to meet at the F.U.N. Show and he promised to bring along some examples of early Proof Gold and IHC's which exhibit the Orange Peel effect. The table we met at was Ernie Latter' and he had some really nice So-Called Dollars. I bought an HK-462 which commemorates the 250th Anniversary of William Penn's arrival in America. Ernie had quite a selection and I think I need to get ahold of him this week!!image Along side of him, at the same table actually, was member workingman. In that regard, this was the mother-load show of Forum members. Four new faces!!

All-in-all it was a super show that I wish I could have spent more time at. My suggestion to anyone within 200 miles of Dearborn is to make a concerted effort to attend in the future. Heck, these guys feed you and even offer to put you up for the night so I'll be returning in the spring!! Once I get some free time, I'll get some pictures of the Boone and SC$ for a thread.

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    Excellent report. image

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, Keets.

Who had the 3CN proofs? image
  • Options

<< <i>Ran into Dennis from Jade Coin again and aside from seeing his lovely copper, he hooked me up with member Numismatist and we talked some about the "Orange Peel" issue . . . . >>

Keets - that's "NEWmismatist - I haven't been collecting long enough yet (only 53+ years) to be a "Numismatist" image

MSNS is a great collector show - anyone close enough to drive to Dearborn MI should try to attend - it's always held the Fri, Sat & Sun after Thanksgiving.
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to hit the Dearborn show almost every year and was never disappointed.

Thanks for the report- - sounds like it was a lot of fun.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Keets
    Thanks for the great report. Your 35/34 Boone sounds like a beauty. I look forward to the pics. It is always a great pleasure to meet forum members at the shows. I have met several and from what I can see, this is a club in which I do not belong.image So far every member I've met has been very classy folk.image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Too bad I couldn't make it. I would have loved to chatted with you Al!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good report and sounds like a great show.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Thanks for the detailed report Keets.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the excellent report.
  • Options
    Good report Keets! Also, glad to hear you lost a bet while betting for OSU!!!..image....Ken
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets -

Hope your mom is ok. BTW, great report.
  • Options
    Keets,
    Great report. Sorry to hear about your Mom, hope she is recovering nicely. Perhaps we can get together at the FUN show.image
    Gary
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Keets,never desert,i seen how much ice cream you can eat You shoud have taken the room, it went unused, but glad you made it home safe.I injoyed meeting you.

The show was a good one this year.The spring show is not as good,but not bad.

Glad you had fun,I did.
    NUMO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file