Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anybody collect matte proof commemoratives?

I didn't even know they existed but read about them in Traver's "Investor's guide to Coin Trading"

I have never seen one - anyone got some photos they can post?

Comments

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I was reading Breens' Encyclopedia last night and he said to watch out for fake ones that have been sandblasted or "pickeled". I am waiting to eat the rest of the pickels in my fridge and then I am going to put an Unc Kennedy or Franklin in the jar to see how it comes outimage-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    BigE,
    You may get a green coinimage
    Trime

• << <i>I was reading Breens' Encyclopedia last night and he said to watch out for fake ones that have been sandblasted or "pickeled". I am waiting to eat the rest of the pickels in my fridge and then I am going to put an Unc Kennedy or Franklin in the jar to see how it comes outimage-----------BigE >>

Do we have a new coin doctor in the making ? imageimage

• The only Matte Proof Commem that is available with any frequency is the 1928 Hawaiian half dollar. Fifty of them were struck and there are records as to who got one. Most on the market can be traced, via pedigree, to the original recipient.

Other Matte Proof Commems exist, such as the Missouri 50c, Oregon Trail 50c, and the Sesqui $2.50. These are very rare and should be considered only if they have accompaning pedigree. Most of these came out of the estates of mint official and were most likely struck clandestinely.

Interesting topic for research.

njcoincrank
    www.numismaticamericana.com

• << <i>Most of these came out of the estates of mint official and were most likely struck clandestinely. >>

Especially for Chief Engraver John Sinnocks estate. He had a thing for Matte Proof commems and had two or three struck from most all of the commems that were produced while he was at the mint for his personal collection. (Can you imagine the screams that would happen today if it was learned that one of the mint officials was having special unauthorized coins struck for their personal collection? Think about Diehl's 2000-W Sackies struck in gold. What would happen if one or two of them or some of the 2000 - S business strike Sackies turned up in his estate some day say 30 years from now? Would the government step in to confiscate them? If so, why not the Sinnock matte proofs as well? (Another interesting thing that was in his estate, at least one 1943 copper cent. Where do you suppose he got that?)
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I just checked PCGS populations - certified 9 Hawaiians, 42 Columbian 1892, 3 Isabellas

Scott Traver said there were at least 2-3 of everyone made - is he wrong?
    I do think 2-3 were made for most types, maybe they still remain in the Sinnock estate or they are out of private hands------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Anthony Swiatek in his book on commems lists mintage of most proofs as 4 or 4?.
    Mark, where did they come from-tell us who submitted themimage----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    Well, I guess I will have to try the pickel jar thing. Could you at least tell me when the folks at NGC are a little tipsy around the holiday season so I can more accurately time my submission?---------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • If I am not mistaken, there is a Proof 65 or 66 1926 Sesqui $2.50 coming up in a Mastro (?) auction this month.

njcoincrank
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Looking through the B&M Rindge and Harlan collections this weekend - they have a brilliant 1892 Columbian PCGS PR62 and also a NGC PR65 Hawiian

some of the other coins are way to cool as well - a 1922 Grant with star gold dollar - is this thing about 3/8 inch across?
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Modern MS commemoratives are practically matte proofsimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file