Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need ebay advice--re: my 1803 Large Cent

RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
I sold this large cent one week ago on ebay:
1803 Large Cent

I have sent the buyer two invoices and one self-composed email, the latter asking if the buyer is still interested, and I received no reply. The buyer, in the past, including recent past, appears to have been a straight-up buyer. I do not want to make too big a fuss for a $15 coin. Perhaps the buyer is busy with the holidays.

How long should I wait before relisting?
If the buyer does not respond in the next week or so, should I neg the buyer? Should I neutral the buyer? Or should I leave no feedback?

Any advice or comments appreciated.

Comments

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I usually wait 2 weeks then file a non-paying bidder notice. If that doesn't get his attention, after a month I file to get my listing fees returned and neg the bidder.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I would wait another week, then re-list. Be sure to submit Non-paying bidder for credit. I would not leave a neg without some indication it was intentional--could be a broken computer, medical issue, death in family, short notice military deployment, etc.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd give him at least a couple more weeks. For $15, you can be a sport.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Yikes.
    RYK, I know what you mean. I had the same thing happen on one of my sales of flashbulbs to a seller with a great buying record.
    After two weeks I finally got a responce. It seems that there was a death in the family and Ebay was the last thing on his mind. I also say family first and everything else second so to me if he was telling the truth I would have any auctions on the back burner like he did.
    The person paid with Paypal and apoligized.
    Even though it stinks that they never replied you can always relist it or offer it to the second place winner. In my auctions i always put "payment within 10 days please", this way if there's a problem with the seller taking his time in paying I'll offer it to the 2nd place person and tell the winner to go scratch.
    The negative feedback - I would check to see it they are currently placing bids on other items in the time frame of when you were sending the "pay me " emails, if they were, tell them payment within 7 days or else. If there's no activity in their account then I personaly would not neg the buyer after seeing all the positive feedbacks. Something must have happend to them.
    Tom
  • I would get their phone number from eBay "user information" source, and give them a call. If no answer, give a couple weeks in case of emergency. I would not relist until then. Also, what I do sometimes is write 2ND OR 3RD NOTICE in bright red letters at the very top of the email and subject line - that usually gets their attention also. I also quote eBay at the top saying that their bid is their contract to purchase ...... or whatever it says.
  • RYK

Your buyer knows the program. Has closed enough auctions with positive feedback that I would not be concerned. Most likely away for Thanksgiving. Tis the season.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of good input here...

I think I will give the buyer another week to respond. If he/she does not respond and pay, I will file a non-paying bidder notice and attempt to have the fees refunded and relist the item. No need for the negative feedback. I would, however, block the buyer from bidding on future auctions, which is a fairly trivial, but symbolic, gesture.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I'd try to get contact info from ebay. I sold a coin once to a guy who had just changed his email address. My emails to him were unanswered. He didn't even know
    he had won. It turns out he had thrown a bid on the coin not expecting to win and never checked. I got his phone number from ebay. He was very glad that I called him.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • The buyer has all good feedback. I would give it a little more time. If it is really bugging you, you could get their contact information they gave ebay, which is suppose to have their home phone number, address, etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file