Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1776 collection? thoughts...

I just finished up a light-side collection I had been working on and I am postponing much further work on my Ireland coins until I can return to that country so I was thinking of a new collection and came up with 1776 UK coins.

Problem is that I know nothing of coins from England et al, despite seeing them on the boards here frequently.

How many coins am I looking at? If I just want them nice enough to read the date and see the images what kind of price range am I looking at? Is this a popular collection type, or will it go on a shelf with my death coin collection?

Any help or jumping off points would be appreciated. Thanks!
-john
Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29

Comments

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Not many denominations have been minted in Great Britain during 1776 .

I think that the dead king of this forum specializes in George III's coinage image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Hi
    there is no currency silver or copper from 1776. Probably a few gold guineas etc.

Lloyd
  • I guess they were a bit pre-occupied in that year. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • hmmm, no copper or silver coins that year, huh? just gold. Well there goes that idea. Oh well.
    Thanks for the input guys.

back to the drawing board,
    -john
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Last year I finished (to my satisfaction anyway) a 1776 type set of coins that I feel would have circulated in Colonial/Early America. It consists of a 1776 Spanish 1/2reale, 1 reale, 2 reale, 4 reale and 8 reale; a 1776 Spanish copper 8 maravedi and a 1776 British Counterfeit Halfpenny (which may or may not be American-struck).
    I picked them up gradually over the years, not really meaning to come up with a full type set, but last year when I saw I was getting close to such a type set, I went after the half reale and two reale to complete it. It's VERY do-able. I think the most I spent on any one coin was $35.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a suggestion... perhaps a collection by Monarch with one copper and one silver coin from each monarch dating back to Charles II would represent a fair challenge?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.