Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Roses are red, Mounties are blue

These are a few coins of many Canadian cased SP dollars I recently purchsed from ajaan, and are representative of the entire batch. These coins were sold in felt-lined cases with a soft foam insert that produces some wild toning after 30ish years. There are blues, pinks, purples, and golds on every coin. Though these tend to be electric, the ones that are not quite at this color level are toning in their cases...in a few more years there will be another batch as vibrant. This was an exceptional batch of toned Canadian cased SP dollars from 1971, 1972, and 1973.

For MacMouse and Spinaker, start singing Blue Velvet! 2 Pics at varied light levels to show the intensity of the blue.

5 coins have obverses very close in color to this one:

And here are reverses for the 1971 and 1972.
Joe

Comments

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Ajaan is the AT King, ain't he. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    He has the best secret sauce.image
    Joe
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Purdy coins Joe!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I really enjoy the way those cased dollars tone, Joe. When I first saw some examples at a show I thought they were AT. But, I now know better. Those lovely little boxes they come in--they're toning machines!

Blue on the Mounties is very nice.

I should have a 71 I won on eBay over a month ago, but it still hasn't shown up at my door. A real impulse bid. I bid and then saw the dealer had about 50 negative feedbacks. I never bid in that case. But, I did this time... and it may end up being my first bad eBay transaction. Oh well, neither here nor there.

Nice Coins!

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    My word, those look good enough to eat!!!!!
    Shep
  • Options
    Thank you for such a thoughtful Christmas present!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    That's the "rub" on these coins, people instantly think AT. Once you know how they were packaged, and have seen a number of them, these colors are present across the series, and are quite normal.image
    These cases have been gassing the coin for 3 decades. I'm tempted to throw a few cased coins up in the attic next summer.

If I posted one on the US forum, I'm sure someone would "tell" me the process I used to create it.

I have a very vibrant one in at NGC, should be back in a few weeks. We'll see what they think of the colors.
    Joe
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, post one over on the liteside, I'm curious what they think. Of course, we know the truth. The coins are not AT'd Shiroh. The one bad thing is these coins are so colorful they are difficult to capture by scanner or photo. If NGC BBs yours for AT they are clueless and should give up grading Canadian coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I love the colors on these. I have a few US coins baking in the boxes right now.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I also wanted to add a fact for those not familiar with this series, the coins are silver...more reactive than clad cupro.

Don, I'll wait for a good moment to post one on the US forum. If NGC bags my coin, I will have a chat with their world grader on the NGC forums. Once people are aware of the cases/felt/foam insert...these are no-brainer natural colors.
    Joe
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I sent a colorful Mountie to ANACS about two years ago and they holdered it.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Joe, post one over on the liteside, I'm curious what they think. Of course, we know the truth. The coins are not AT'd Shiroh. The one bad thing is these coins are so colorful they are difficult to capture by scanner or photo. If NGC BBs yours for AT they are clueless and should give up grading Canadian coins. >>

Ajaan-- you and your baked potato holders! image

There is little downside of slabbing these babies as their resale value is so low there's little downside if they turned out to be AT.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Nice giveaway I'm in........image
  • Options
    Nice looking coins all in all, this coming from somebody that is not normally into toned coins.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    Here's the one I got from the batch (didn't get to see it until today...). Thanks ajaan!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I got a set of three from our dear Ajaan too, and I can attest to their vibrant colors and to Greentoe's courtesy and professionalism.image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AvarelAvarel Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Gotta luv the RCM for those early cased foam inserts. I've got a box of these I add to every time I see them and the local dealers are only too happy to let them go, even with lovely toning. I know the foam is the culprit on the early cased dollars, but did the RCM wash the planchets in something or the packaging noted particularly as - some of the PLs from the 60s take on some mind boggling colors.

I like the soft rosette colors on that 1973 Spiny.
    Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria