Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Fine Teas of the Rough Flavour...

I have often wondered what a rough tea tastes like? For that matter, why did they think a grasshopper
was a good idea? Ya gotta love tokens... image

Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I believe that the word rough in this case probably refers to the texture of the tea, perhaps as uncut or roughly bundled or bagged, prior to final packaging. It's interesting that tea was cut up and pressed into bricks which were then sometimes stamped with intricate designs and used as currency in the not too distant past. The token is verrry interesting-how many tokens and medals do you own vern?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Cool, I didn't know about the bricks. image About 500-600, maybe more.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    I just have to believe that would be some pretty nasty tasting stuff to our modern sensibilities.

That is a very cool token, though.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Middlesex Stinton's DH 904 There are 3 varieties, depending on the edge. The scarcity depends on the variety.

Very nice token!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I've seen some of those tea bricks ... wasn't sure how to store them properly, so I passed on buying one.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grasshopper? I thought fer a second that was a big ol' skeeter, and the "teas of rough flavour" they were referring to was human blood!

Maybe I've lived in sand gnat country too long. At least fall has finally fallen- it was actually cool tonight.

(Really neat piece, BTW). image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.