Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are your thoughts on Jefferson Nickels...

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
will the soon to be changed reverse get everyone excited ala the state quarter series, and
- give this lowly respected series a boost?
- or not?
- or will it remain the same?
- or?

a long time lurker and first time poster, and curious mind wants to know.

Comments

  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I think I'd like to find a raw 1968-D (or 69-D) that I could submit to PCGS and get an MS67FS. I could buy a lot of Kennedy Halves with the proceeds. image

    Russ, NCNE

  • Options
    Welcome!--and, after seeing the reverse designs, I definitely do not plan to get excited!! I've got a number of older (WWII silvers and pre-1960) Jeffersons that I've become fond of even though they aren't an interest area of mine. Back to your original question--it's my firm belief that the Mint designers could screw up a wet dream--so why should the new Jefferson fair any better?
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards! Unless there is some sort of major error that comes out of this set (DDO, etc), I doubt that there will be too much excitement. The reverses are uninspiring imho.

    Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    image
    Bill

    image

    09/07/2006
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill -

    why thumbs down?
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it might generate some intrest and possibly create a little price increase on few pieces, but nothing similar to the washington quarter redesign boost.

    jim
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I think it would take a total redesign of the nickel, eliminating Jefferson AND Monticello, to generate much interest in Jeffersons. Even then I think that the interest would be limited.
  • Options
    I'm all for it. I'm with the ones that feel that ANY change is good and long overdue. I do agree that the designs are not outstanding, but they're not anywhere near terrible, either. Will this give a boost to the Jefferson series and get everyone excited? Hard to say. I think it will generate some interest, at least. You may get some of the state quarter collectors interested. It's hard to know how much, though. And before I forget: welcome aboard! image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may be a short burst of increased interest but it will not have "legs".
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    There will not be any varieties like DDO, DDR, etc because of the hubbing process. Unless of course the initial design is reworked in some manner. However, I DO believe there will be errors and they will be HOT!

    I don't particularly care for the design changes but something is better than nothing I suppose. I don't particularly think that they will drive the price up for previous issues either since they will be reverted back to the normal design in a couple years.

    Regards,

    J. Taylor
    CONECA Member
    FSNC Member

    image
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784 ✭
    I beg to disagree ... I think many will see the 1938-2003 Jeffs as a "closed" series -- by design, at least -- and this will spur collector interest and perhaps a modest boost in prices, at least if the current market continues to have some legs. There will be different reverses to create different types and when Jefferson/Monticello does return, I heavily suspect neither will be the current designs, but rather a redesigned coin on both obverse and reverse that will really slam the door on finalizing the "old" Jefferson as a completed series. Jeff interest, to my view, as ticked up considerably in the past 18 months even without a design change. Just my five-cents worth ...
  • Options
    I tend to agree with RGL. The change will (has) attract new interest.
    Just wish they'd waited until they came up with a truly classic design
    to replace the old classic design.

    Skipper
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm a Jefferson collector and............

    i think it's interesting to have non-collectors of the series give it a boot in the kiester!!! i mean, so you think the design is uninspiring, i can buy that. tell me what is so awe-inspiring about Morgan dollars or any number of other series which are collected in earnest??.............

    what i object to about the new coins is the same thing i don't particularly care for about the State Quarter program, that being the migration of Commemoration onto our coins intended for general circulation and away from where they have historically been, half-dollars. with the recently instituted $1, $5 and $10 programs, why not keep commemoration there, also??..............

    with regard to the design, i don't object to them or find them reprehensible as some members do. where i part with the mainstream is in the use of previously issued designs, much the same way i objected somewhat to the issuance of the Buffalo Dollar. we have in our country some very talented artists and some already patterned designs which are nothing short of magnificent. yet they are overlooked at the expense of something that's recognized and commercially acceptable.

    ..............back to the new nickels. looked at as a commemorative, which is what the coin has actually been changed to, they seem fine. the Peace/Friendship reverse is in part the Legacy of Lewis and Clark since they made their journey with amazing cooperation from the various tribes they encountered. with the keelboat, who objects to the multitude of commems which employ a ship of some sort in their design?? probably not many. methinks there are just a bunch of critics who are hard to please. but then there are always Morgan Dollars to collect and busy ones mind with delusions of riverboat gamblers and high stakes Maverick-style poker games. legends and myths are hard to kill!!

    al h.image

    image
    image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will get more people looking at their change and more will enter the hobby.
    It will get more established collectors noticing what a fascinating series this
    really is, and most importantly it will get many Jefferson collectors to update
    their sets beyond 1964. The impact on the older nickels will be felt in only a
    narrow range of grades and issues but the impact on the later coins will be
    significant.
    tempus fugit extra philosophiam.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard KollectorKing.
    tempus fugit extra philosophiam.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784 ✭
    Pardon my breach of etiquette, a warm welcome to KK! image
  • Options
    From public perspective: Will generate lots of interest in coins, and get more folks started in the hobby a la State Quarters.
    From collector perspective: bah humbug...ugly designs that nobody will want to collect
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    I think it will, without a doubt, generate some new interest. ANY change is good for the hobby. I personally like the design and especially the subject of the coin. I have been a Lewis and Clark fan for years.
  • Options
    Truth?.....The DULLEST coin I've ever laid me eyes on.
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    I'm very pleased to see a new design for the nickel reverse. I'd like to see a completely new design in a few years. I already collect proof Jefferson nickels and agree that ending the series would help generate some new interest in them.

    It seems unlikely the change will generate as much interest at the state quarters. After all many people want a quarter for the state they live in regardless of if they collect coins or anything else. But any change in the nickel should help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file