Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Winning more converts?

One of my frequent customers was in today to shop and shoot the er.... stuff. He is primarily a U.S. collector, but his last three purchases from us have all been darkside material. He said today, "You know, I used to only like U.S. coins. I was all U.S. and only U.S. But you guys always have something new and neat everytime I'm here, and I think you're right (recalling something I had said to him earlier) you really do get a lot of coin and history for your money." referring specifically to an 18th century French Ecu and a frosty 1890s AU Mexican 8 Reales he had purchased the last few times he was here.

His purchase today? A Bavarian thaler and a Canadian mapleleaf (even with three high grade Bust Halves in front of him in the trays). image

Sounds like one foot out of the closet to me.... image
https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    The value in 100 to 300 year old darkside coins by comparison to lightside coins is obvious and many US collectors are waking up to that fact. It's a real pleasure to see...image

Just take a look at todays post by boiler78
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    I like to see the darkside being popular, I just hope sl@bmania and high prices to don't destroy the darkside.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    I came out of the closet recently after 20 years of liteside collecting.

It's much more fun here, but I still love my US collections, and continue to add to them.

Hell, I'm a slut. If it's a coin, it's worth pining after.

We ARE watching you.

• Options

<< <i>"You know, I used to only like U.S. coins. I was all U.S. and only U.S. But you guys always have something new and neat everytime I'm here >>

I think part of the reason there isn't more interest among US collectors for foreign material is because the material is... well... foreign to them.

There is this odd perception that because the coins could never be used to purchase US goods, that it's not real money, and therefore not worth collecting. Canadian coins aren't worth as much as American coins, right? I mean literally.

Not having had the exposure to foreign money, I think there is a lingering idea that it is funny, and not substantial--not worthy of collecting.

Now, what I see happen on this forum all the time (and in my own case) is that some coin will grab someone, and they will start delving into the Dark Side. And what they see and learn destroys some of these ideas, and they begin to realize the vast Ocean of Coolness out there that is collecting world coins.

The exposure to, and the education in world coins is making a lot more Dark Side collectors. And the internet (and forums like this one) are going to be very responsible for an upsurge in interest in foreign coins by American collectors.

Sometimes we do it as a joke, but every time one of us sneaks over to one of those liteside "Show us your coins" threads, and post a beautiful Dark Side coin... seems like we have a few new arrivals knocking on the door.

Come one, come all. Bruce--I don't think you have to worry about anything "destroying" the Dark Side.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    There is this odd perception that because the coins could never be used to purchase US goods, that it's not real money, and therefore not worth collecting. Canadian coins aren't worth as much as American coins, right? I mean literally.

The funny thing is that so many foreign coins were used in the US until 1857. That's one reason why I think every litesider who collects US silver dollars should have at least one Spanish colonial 8 reales in his collection. When I did my research on US 20 cent pieces I saw a few bills introduced into the House or Senate on striking 20 cent coins to use them to redeem worn 2 reales, francs, etc.

The lite and dark have more in common than many litesiders would like to admit.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "...the vast Ocean of Coolness out there..." --Clank

You got that right!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor guy.

He's a goner. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, I started out when I was a teen collecting both. Spending an hour at a coin show going through the junk boxes. It's been a long way around, but I'm back to getting some more darkside. Picked up some lustrous wartime (1942) french coins. 25 cents each. It's nice to have affordable history.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>I think part of the reason there isn't more interest among US collectors for foreign material is because the material is... well... foreign to them. >>

Ah, very good, Grasshopper!! Indeed, that is why it is called "the Dark Side"! imageimage
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image