Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Pull of the Darkside

I recieved this coin on Wednesday and it occurs to me that I have slowly become addicted to the Darkside. 9 of the last 10 coins I've purchased are Darkside!image The last 4 books I have ordered are Darkside! When I log on I check the posts here First! (a lot less drivel hereimage) I have bookmarked Colin Cookes website! Whats next?

It is like "discovering" a whole new world and I love it. Now if I can slow myself down and lower the cost of my Darkside education.......??? Maybe buy the book BEFORE I buy the coinimage I hope you kind folks will bear with me and no doubt countless stupid questions?

If anyone here can recommend new additions for my numismatic library I would appreciate it. I am mainly interested in UK early proof coinage and any foreign patterns.

Now for my first stupid question of the day. Does anyone know the mintage for this coin?

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    The Darkside is drawing you in...image There are no mintages listed for this Irish coin-maybe a more experienced collector will have additional information. Is that gilt or gold?-very pretty coin!

Edited to add: Obviously Krause-all 18th, 19th, 20th century if possible. Coincraft and Spinks for British, Charlton for Canadian. I'll let the other members add their own suggestions.
    2nd edit-As far as I know, there were three Irish issues with that obverse/reverse: the farthing but there were no 1805 issues. That would leave the half penny and penny-issued in 1905 in copper, copper gilt, copper bronzed, silver, and gold. The gold issues are rare and the copper bronzed and gilt issues aren't cheap either. There are no mintages lsted in Krause for any of these issues.This is a coin I do not own but would very much like to-nice acquisition. image
    There are no stupid questions-as a relative newcomer to this field I can respect the learning curve-it can be difficult but I followed the sage advice of several senior members here and spent the money on the books-best advice I can give is to do so as well.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    One nice coin!!
    I can not help with identification, or resource for information...image

I can offer you a BIG welcome to the Darkside..image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the coin. I bid on one in NEN's eBay auction but lost. No mintage listed in Krause.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laurent- The coin is gilt and that leads to my next question. Does anyone know why these were made? I am amazed at the quality of manufacturing on these early proof coins!
  • Options
    Awesome coin Mark. I think I know who we can blame for your pull to the dark.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Welcome to the darkside. There are sure a lot of beautiful coins here that make the lightside pale in comparison. That is a beautiful coin by the way.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    Mark by the way NEN has a lot of cool foreign patterns up for sale.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill- I have been meaning to talk to you about that......... THANKS!!image
  • Options
    I would like to add my welcome to the forum - another fresh voice is always welcome.image
    Shep
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Now for the most important question-- did it slab as a CAM or DCAM? image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the DARK, my friend! May your days here be long and fruitful!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    An excellent gilt Hibernia. No verdigris/carbon spots and fields appearing to be very much hairline-free. All these things plauge many of these gilt specimens; that, and just blatant mishandling for 200 years.

Congratulations on a 'special' coin and thanks for sharing. Oh yeah, now you have a new icon to replace that Morgan thing!!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Now for my first stupid question of the day. Does anyone know the mintage for this coin? >>

There are no stupid questions on the Dark Side. There are just a lot of helpful, good natured collectors.

Really glad to have you here, Boiler78. This forum is like an odd, dimly lit room that people wander into by accident, or as a curiosity, and find they never want to leave....

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    What I appreciate about this forum is that there are so many people here who have a sense of humor and who aren't so quick to judge others. I find the acrimony on the liteside disheartening at times, especially when members attack each others' motives and assume the worst about each other.

When collectors only focus on their own countries' coinage, and especially when they focus on only one series, they can get really defensive about how their collections compare with others'. When collectors of many nations and specialities get together to share knowledge without the feeling of intense competition, we can really learn from each other.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Darksiders are the perfect Utopian society. (Except when we're not.)

Welcome.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    An awesome coin, Mark!! Welcome!!! imageimage

The Krauses will get you started well, even on patterns, but check with the folks here about how accurate their prices are. Often they are ... but often they are not -- and they're usually very low on prices for patterns.

For German patterns, the key reference is Rudolf Schaaf's Die Proben der deutschen Münzen seit 1871; Versuch einer Katalogisierung. Basel, Switzerland: Münzen und Medaillen AG, 1979.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image