Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

MOON show report

I spent all of two hours at the show Friday, starting when the doors opened.

I visited Chief coins first. This was the guy who a year ago sold me an 1850 shilling and a BU 1882 sixpence. He had only one long box of British. He told me he sold $8,000 worth of his British coins to a British dealer named Smith at the FUN show. He has not had time to accumulate any more material since that time. I bought three rather ordinary coins from him, all coppers.

Next I went to Larry's coins. I spent almost all of my money on his stuff. He did have a pretty decent selection including some new material.

I was able to find a couple of decent coins onesy-twosy but nothing much of note. I did latch on to a 1932 penny with lustre, very hard to find.

There was one dealer who has the same 1887 gem BU farthing for sale for $95 that I saw at the monthly show eight years ago. He has never cut the price and there it still is.

Overall, it was a pretty miserable show. I'm glad I hit up Chief when he had his stuff - it's all gone now.

Highlights:
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    You broke my heart telling me of those problems at a show.......image

Just pack'em up, post them to me and I promise to keep your secret........ I hope you realise this is just envy on my part......

Nice ones Bud!, very nice...... image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Purty little baubles-scans or digipics?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    scans or digipics?

Digipics. I'm still learning how to do them.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I guess Avarice beat you to the show??!!!

Still, some very attractive pieces, Wybrit!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AvarelAvarel Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Following up with what Wybrit said, I agree. I hit the show on saturday morning at open since work prevented me from hooking up with Wybrit and showing off coins and blabbing. Inventory on darkside was thin, anything British was pretty much relegated to what Wybrit described. There were only two dealers out of the entire affair that had any British inventory of note, Shakespeare & Larry. Larry's 3 ring binder setup works, at one time yesterday it was 2 people deep waiting for the books to be available so he had good traffic. They had a few currency dealers with some nice foreign inventory displayed, but beyond that anything darkside was minimal.

Hey Farthing, was that you by chance at Shakespeares around 1130?

As it was I was able to scrape together a few coins needed. I did find a nice looking 1922 maundy 3d and a 1902 maundy 3d that was misattributed as a circ. The highlight was a 1919 BU error farthing with stated brockage, however after more study I don't think it is since it does in fact have a reverse strike where the error is. Its almost like an indented error about the size of the obverse bust in about the same shape. In any event it gives me something to track down.

The wife found a single coin to add to the world toned collection, a beautiful splash of colors on a Polish 1923 5 Groszy.

Time was just shy of 2 hours.

Avarel
    Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Avarel - No, it wasn't me at the show on Saturday. I got home from Singapore at noon. Collapsed about 3:30.
    I think I'll go to the MOON show this afternoon. Wybrit told me one of my favorite dealers there had some new Conder tokens. It will give me something to do until the Viking/Packer game this evening. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    I think it's worth pointing out that the 1904 Penny is now valued at £100 UNC in Spinks 2004. The 1932 is £45 in UNC. If I remember rightly I got £60 for a 1932 UNC Lustre a few months back on Ebay.

Just mentioning it....
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Everybody's talking about Larry; Larry Flint ? (seriously though,who image )

Nice pennies wybrit !
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Nice lot of coins!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i> the 1904 Penny is now valued at £100 UNC in Spinks 2004. >>

Och, 'twas £40 in the 2002 Spinks!! It looks like the British "Dark" is going LIGHTSIDE!
  • Options
    Wybrit after MOON

• Options
    I think it's worth pointing out that the 1904 Penny is now valued at £100 UNC in Spinks 2004.

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Dimitri - Larry is a dealer out of South Dakota that comes to the larger Minnesota coin shows. He brings a large number of very large 3 ring binders loaded with coins. Most of his binders are for non-US coins. It would not surprise me if the total weight of the binders that he brings exceeds 200 kilos.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    I went back as things were shutting down. I picked up another small handful. Will post them later - too busy doing real work now.
  • Options
    Hello all!
  • Options
    Hello all!
  • Options
    Late arrival highlight:

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jester!

Superb farthing wybrit !(why do you wanna mess with halfcrowns and groats? - send them over here to feel free of material possesions in silver image)
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    When I get to that point where I can't hold on to the whole collection, the farthings will be the last to go. They are my favorite coins.
  • Options
    Wybrit
    You didn't give him $95 for that farthing?

If you did I'm bringing a load of albums over personally next show image

L
  • Options
    You didn't give him $95 for that farthing?

What do you think?

• Options
    Well you said he had one for sale, and I seen your picture after the show, so I just put 2 and 2 together... image
  • Options
    Just for the record, I didn't pay anything close to that amount.

Please bring your albums to Minnesota any time - just don't tell avarel and farthing until I've gone through them.