Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What is your dark side focus?

Do you have a particular focus as you collect on the dark side? Or do you follow another approach to collecting? I've decided to buy coins that have a certain look (can't easily describe it; lustrous, eye appealing, interesting motif, devices just so) regardless of the country. I went to the local coin show and shop today and didn't find a darn thing. image But on the bright side I did pick up a recent 20th century krause to give me ideas.

Comments

• oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Let's see... South America, Canada, Ships, Lions, ...eye catchers ... world coins from...oh, I guess I'm not as focused as I thought.image
    Shep
  • British halfpennies, and Commonwealth coppers at large. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    No Rules! No Limits!

NO MONEY......imageimage

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • come on jester! get organized!! imageimage
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
    OK, I'm going to start collecting only modern bullion...make that SLABBED modern bullion...

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, I'm going to start collecting only modern bullion...make that SLABBED modern bullion...

imageimageimage >>

OK, I've got a super-rare, finest-known MS70+ SAE for you at the bargain price of just $10,000! Pedigreed to the P.T. Barnum collection.image
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Any country, any denomination, any type of round metal that has Big Cats, Bare Breasted Ladies, or Cars on them I collect. I HAVE a lot of other beautiful high grade dark and light side coins as investment and resale items.
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    My favorites are Brazil, Britain (and colonies), Canada, Ethiopia, Italy, Israel and Arab nations
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    You can see from my sig line what my favorites are: Holy Roman Empire and the Great war.

-JamminJ
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    British minor pieces 1838-1967 by date in best possible condition.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Mainly all kinds of Canadian and Provincial, also with British and South African 1 & 1/2 D, ships, animals, and occasionally other countries when someone sends me them.

Forgot to mention, I also collect tokens and medals.

• Congrats on picking up a Krause. That is a great channel to widening your collecting interests.

My Darkside interests revolve around getting enough money to buy the coin in my sig line and other Irish patterns.
    But in the mean time I am interested in Republic of Ireland coins.

-john
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • I collect coins, medals, tokens, jeton, paper money and emphemera of the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic eras.

Whew... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I have too many foci to list now, but the main ones are Canadian coins, silver coins used trade with China, and British Commonwealth coins of George V.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I collect anything and everything. But I do have some broad categories to narrow things down.. not by much though.

Colonial coins. If it circulated in a colony, it fits here. (Occupations count here too)
    Conflict coinage. Pieces that circulated during times of conflict, and/or commemorate a conflict or otherwise have some significance, not much notgeld though.
    German States. Mostly minors.. I can't afford talers imageimage
    Medieval/hammered. Same as above.

I'll go for anything in those categories, though I usually go through phases where I'm a bit more specific. And, of course, I'll grab anything that looks nice too imageimage
  • I collect everything. But my main focus is in building a 1902 Edward VII set and late 1800`s- mid 1900`s French coins.
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Whatever I like, could be liteside, greyside, darkside, NCLT, CLT, bullion, medal, pattern, fantasy pattern, raw, slabbed, ancient, modern, etc, etc. I guess you get my point. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Generally, affordable world coins 1800+.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭✭
    Mint state Greek coins (1828 - 2000) + annexed territories (Ionian islands 19th century, Crete 1900-1901) + non annexed (yet) territories (Cyprus 1879 - 1960).

That's about 90%+ of my inventory; coinage of the Ionian islands and Cyprus increased my already big attraction to GB coins that have the lion's share of the rest along with some US, world gold (I can get very greedy with gold) ,world silver + copper (red,rb or glossy brown image)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • I have about 230 coins with naval theme and started to "hunt" some coins by series: as English shillings, even state quarters and 1 euro coins. Always you can find something new and attractive.
    Here is the link for one guy's collection, who collect coins with dragons, for exaple..image
    Dragon's coins
    N. N.
    He collects dragons and doesn't own a decent Japanese Meiji yen image Send him my e-mail image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • It is the same guy with ships from Russia (you saw his fleet yesterday!0
    And here his "UNUSUAL" series of coins:
    "Unusuals"
    N. N.
    I was gonna send you a PM regarding his collection,for fear that my comment would have been censored,but you need to turn them on.
    Let's just say ,that I envy more his webpage than his collection image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Syracusian!

He is agreat guy, and I"ll tell you your compliments. Meanwhile, you can forward your message to that e-mail:
    nicolain@moag.gov.il

and here some more highlights from his collection:
    EDEM islands

just click to the countries, doesn't matter that it is in Russian.

and now SYRACUSIAN you MUST see my corrected link to Portuguese shipcoins, because it works image
    N. N.
  • Welcome to the forum, shipcoin image I have a few ships in collection as well. Hope you enjoy your visits here as much as I have. Nice having you
    on board!

Coinrookie, it looks like your idol (or nemesis) would be CosmicDebris!! He collects 1902 Eddie VII as well.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

That's over Jester: he's so much into Goetz now ("Karl is making me go broke"image ),that I've already offered to help him get rid of that set image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Focus? What's that?

I am pretending to limit myself to modern Japanese coins, plus I have developed a fondness for the year 1893 in Great Britain, plus I like the Chinese Zodiac Fan coins, 'double sovereigns/2 pound gold, Britannias (esp. proof), plus the Australian zodiac, Albanian coins from the 1920s, plus I like early 20th century Italian, Greek and Irish coins, I like coins with lions, horses and ships (Go Navy/Beat Army), plus I like coins with naked guys (as opposed to BBLs image ), and of course anything involving gold. Oh, and if there's a stork on it I'd probably buy it. And it doesn't have to be a 'coin' per se... medals work too. I like things with historical interest stories (like the 'Death of Princess Charlotte' medal which is an obstetric tragedy that a good set of forceps could have saved), and and anything 'cool'.

Most of these things, have, at one time or another, been shown to me on these forums, or at least been the basis of a new idea.

Yikes, this was going to be a short answer! I just like that everyone likes to post their own interests so I can look too. Maybe for Christmas I can get a scanner and show off a few things to make up for all the looking I've been doing!

• Stork! If you like Japanese and Chinese coins , you also will like that link:
    Far East Coinageimage

Thank you Luvdawgs! I like the forum the gentelmen and the ladies here and thanks for your greetings!image
    N. N.

<< <i>..with naked guys... >>

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Eddie VII and Wilhlem II, Britannias, Aussie Proof Silver 1 ounce Zodiac, Lions and whatever else looks cool.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Latele I spend most of my time (and money image ) on Conder tokens. Still working on my English minors set 1806-1967 in collectable condition. Still search regularly for 19th Century medals from England, Belgium, Netherlands and sometimes France and Austria. Architectural medals especially the medals of Leopold Wiener. Commemorative 2, 5, and 10 Kroner from Sweden and Denmark. Belgium. At least 1 coin from every country/city/state/province/monetary reform.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭
    I focus on pre-machine struck Chinese coinage, but when I got my 20c. Krause I started a one per country 20 c. set. Simply take all of the countries listed and start buying. Most of the coins I've gotten for under $1, and I almost always find something to buy at a show. It's been a great introduction to a wider set of collecting, and saves the bulk of my coin budget for my "more serious" collections.

I also dabble with German coins and Canadian bank tokens. Like above, I can't justify collecting talers, but buy the inexpensive ones and larger minor coins when I find them. Am considering starting to hunt for leper coinage, and pick up southeast asian coins when I see them.

Another idea that would be fun would be to document the British (or French or German)empire in coins at the beginning of the 20c. Or concentrate on WWII coinage that was affected by the war somehow (occupation coinage, changes in metal, etc).
    Chinese cash enthusiast
    Stork, it just hit me. Are you an OB-GYN nurse or doctor? My mom was in that field.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Santelia! If you are Chinese coinage enthusiast you'll like that site!Chinese Coinageimage
    N. N.
  • Just about everything, but my main focus is Sovereigns Eddie VII (1902-1910 ) In the best condition I can find.

Walt image
  • Although I collect any coin recent enough to have a date on it my main focus now is "one per country/issueing authority" But at 287 that is getting difficult now days. So I keep plugging away at my Canadian collection and adding additional coins to the countries I already have.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    English coins issued before the reign of Queen Victoria. I havea few later examples, but that is not where the bulk of the money or attention goes.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Channel Island coppers, tigers, pandas and dragons!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes--the 'I deliver' is for babies image

and to keep this on-topic...I forgot to mention the 1 per country!

Cathy

• Right now my focus comes down to this:

Canadian George VI 25c pieces. A great short set--with varieties and key dates, that is affordable but still a challenge.

Canadian coins 1960-67 PL with Heavy Cameo. Just an arbitrary run of years that I am collecting and filling an old Wayte Raymond album with. Very enjoyable. Interesting, since I never had been a fan of cameo coinage. Or at least, paid it much attention.

European coins roughly from 1910 to 1925. Type coins. I fixed on these coins (2 Francs, Swiss, French, German Marks etc.) because of the classic beauty of the designs. This is a set that leaves me a lot of latitude to enjoy different coins and cultures.

And I have my Washington Carver Commemorative collection as my only liteside concern at the moment.

Clankeye

Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Twenty year plan is solely UK Milled by type and as many gem quality Victorian as possible, with major emphasis on copper.

I also have thrown down the gauntlet to deal in premium quality mint state and specimen-strikings from Switzerland; primarily Federal.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I simply collect what I call "Interesting Items". At a coin show today I picked up a silver & bronze set of 1962 ANA/CNA Detroit Convention medals in their original lucite holders. The medals are by the artist Marshall Fredricks (1908-1998) who also did the 1984 and 1994 ANA Detroit medal sets. These medals are not very rare here in the Detroit area but they are seldom seen in the lucite holders. I also picked up a 1776 Continental Dollar replica, possibly a Bashlow restrike. If I find it to be "interesting" it can go into my set. There are no other qualifications.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭
    Originally, British Crowns (BoE, GIII, Gothic), but now European (primarily German) City View talers, German Patterns. Exonumia: Karl Goetz large cast bronze medals.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    You all have got some cool interests. I'd love to see what you all have collected. I used to collect foreign coins when I was a kid (before I heard of the "dark side" image ). But I got lots of junk coins without realizing it. Not many good ones. So I've sold them all and started over. I used to use a full krause (before they split it up into centuries) and just browse the pages. Just so many now. I'm focusing mostly on 20th century as I suspect they'll be easily obtainable.

Neil
  • Neil--

As someone who has read your posts over the past year, let me say I think you would find great pleasure on the Dark Side. There is an outlet here for whatever direction your collecting might take. Every kind of coin, every kind of sufaces--proof to mintstate, cameo to rusted-oh!

And you just don't have to spend your kids college money to do it either. You can--but you don't have to.

I think given the opportunity, you would flourish over here.

Clankeye
  • DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    One per country and Canadian Commemoratives.
  • I colllect coins from all over the world, but my main focus is Mexican coins from all eras.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Clank, in fact that is where I'm thinking. Putting my numismatics into enjoying the coins and not really in the investing side. I've kept all my gold, but I'm thinking of selling all of it, too. And then make my collection one of those eclectic and beautiful collections of raw coins (I'm tired of slabs, I think) wherever they come from. I'm just surprised it has taken me so long to get here. image

The bright side is that pursuing this course does leave a lot of money in the bank account, too!
  • Neil--

Pull up a chair--you're finally here. image

Clankeye