Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bust Half Value

How much do you think this Bust Half is worth? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2199773211

It was listed at $150 and didn't get any bids.

Comments

• Options
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    I wouldn't buy it for that price given the documented damage--I got a no problem AU for $125 about a year ago--no sense buying problem coins if you don't have to.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    About $50.
  • Options
    Didn't realize the auction was still open--offer him $50-60 max and if he'll deal at that price, crack it out. Put it in your album and enjoy it--I can't see the attempted hole and it probably won't make a big difference unless its going to be a type coin in which case I'd say look for another one--its just that I have a lot of bust halves and am always looking for another one. One of my favorites is an 1818 with an expert plug (very expert--almost undetectable--which makes it more interesting to me)--so if you like the slightly strange coin for whatever reason--go for it--but not at $150!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    The "hole" is on the reverse between the letters D and S.
  • Options
    Thanks, Placid--I didn't see it--A very nasty hole--IMO don't buy it--there are too many nice specimens out there for less money.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I think Placid's estimate is pretty close to upper end. The first number that jumped in my head was $35.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    I'd only give $25 for it. I see PCI has gone back to the red inserts for problem coins...unless this was slabbed just as they ended the green and red inserts for the gold. 9 digit serial number is the giveaway.
    Mark
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the coin probably won't get any bids at the $125 price, but is probably worth at least half that, and is actually quite a bit of coin for $70, seeing as the attempted hole is fairly well hidden and the rest of the coin is actually pretty nice.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file