Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is Heritage getting cheap with catalogs?

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
I didn't get a catalog from Heritage for their upcoming Signtaure auction, so I emailed them requesting one. I got a reply saying they'll mail one out, but to keep getting them, I can subscribe for $90/year. As I've given Heritage a moderate amount of business over the last few years, most recently in September 2003, that surprised me. I then asked if there was a change in policy regarding catalogs, and the answer was "yes" without details.

Odd how all the other auction houses are trying to give away catalogs (send them an invoice from the competition, etc.) yet Heritage appears to be tightening up. I did, however, receive a "please consign your coins with us" letter from Heritage today.

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the same thing. But I must admit, the cost of producing and mailing thousands of catalogs of that size and quality is VERY HIGH.

If I were in their shoes, I'd only send them out to clients you do a fair amount of biz. Maybe you and I are under the threshhold?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that they keep sending catalogs at all. Between their website and the CD, you can pretty much get all that you need. Of course, there's nothing like reading yourself to sleep with a good auction catalog. I've just gotten up to the buffalo nickel section in mine.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the auction houses don't clamp down even more. The cost of producing the catalogs (which are actually printed in relatively low numbers) must be very high. I just received a letter from Lyn Knight advising me that I would be dropped from their mailing list. I sold my paper money collection 7 years ago. Just think of much much money they wasted (on postage alone) by continuing to send me catalogs!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I still get Heritage's catalogs, but frankly do not know why. It is a big expense and they are obsolete, with web site an all. I do like the CD that comes with the catalog though.
    Michael
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    "As I've given Heritage a moderate amount of business over the last few years, most recently in September 2003, that surprised me."

Keep in mind that your idea of "moderate" and Heritage's idea of "moderate" may not be the same. For example, I'd like to consign some coins to one of their auctions, but I don't have the minimum value ($2000) yet to send.

However, I really appreciate the catalogs and will continue to bid "heavily" (my definition) in their auctions as a result.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not spent that much on Heritage auctions this year, only one coin was over 5k, I too got only the CD rom and not the catalog.

Frankly, I could care less, as I do the bidding an viewing on-line anyway.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received one too. Sort of a shameful waste for info that is readily available on their website. anyone needs/wants it, its yours for postage. Got the CD with it too!
  • Options
    I get the catalog, and really enjoy looking through it. I buy a few times
    a year from them, usually in the $150 - $800 range. I have bid on a few
    things in the higher ranges (upto $4,000 looking for a "bargain" without
    success); that was when they started to send me the catalogs.

When the next signature sale is getting close, look through the online
    catalog in the first few days that the sale is posted and put a $5,000
    bid on a $15,000 coin. You won't win, but you might get on their mailing
    list.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob,

I am not so sure that that will work either. As the day the sig auction posted on the site. I put two 6000.00 token bids on two items I am intrested in, in order that I can have easy access to them when the time comes. Still only got a cd!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were the world according to coinkat, I probably would not have a computer, I don't like getting fax crap and life moved at an easier pace 20 years ago. Perhaps Heritage should screen their clients (if it can be done) as to their preference. I like the catalog and others like what is online. I admit that I am out of touch... but some collectors, and I accept that I am in the minority, just don't care about all the modern toys that are available. I don't mean to offend or be politically incorrect but... I like the catalog and looking at it instead of a screen.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Heritage needs to learn basic business principles. If I were them, I would give anyone who asked me a catalog or CD.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Even though everyone here obviously is relatively comfortable with computers and the Internet, I bet there are plenty of deep-pocketed collectors who aren't. If I was a consignor, I would be hoping that every one of them can get a catalog.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I thought by the title of the thread you were referring to the quality of the catalogs. When I browsed the first 30 pages they all fell out.image I'm glad they continue to send catalogs and think it would be a poor business decision to discontinue them.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The catalog I have er I mean had is spoken for.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fats,

I agree, and I like them - usually reading thru everything - however mine also fell apart too ....I wonder if they are using less glue image

Marc
  • Options
    Shoot, the catalogs are collector items!

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    The website and the CD are nice but I find them to be a real pain to browse. I mean it's easy if you are just looking for a specific item or type, but if you are doing general browsing it is murder looking at the catalog one lot at a time. It's a little easier with the CD since they come up faster, the website forget it. I have dial up so it is go to the next lot, then go to the kitchen and make a sandwich while it uploads, decide you want to see a closeup, go to the restroom while it uploads, move to the next lot, read another page in your novel etc. If your doing good you see 20 or so lots an hour. The website is great for closeups once you know which lots you want to see, but is is much easier to find those lots with the catalog.
  • Options
    I still get mine!! image
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only spent about $2,000 from Heritage, but have been getting the catalogs and accompaning CD's for the last four months. With a few years collected they will make excellent reference materials for valueing coins.

I feel special.

Tyler
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    The CD's are for PC's only. They don't work on my Mac. image
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    That's the tradeoff, macs rarely get viruses because people write the viruses for the machines that make up the overwhelming number of systems out there. On the flip side most of the software and other items that you DO want is also written for the PC's for the same reason. You go for the large market first and maybe catch the smaller market later.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file