Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I finally got the colour right . . .

. . . well, almost.

This is about the truest colour on the first shots which I've been able to achieve on a silver coin to date.....just received from my little Swiss girlfriend, Heidi! image

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    OOOOOoooooooooooo. That's a nice coin. I like the standing Liberty, Helvetia, Columbia, etc. designs. I sure wish my 1876B looked like that!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I sure wish my 1876B looked like that! >>

Shiro, I would most happily pay you $700-800 for an 1876B which grades/looks like the 1908. image
  • Options
    You know I love that design, Mr. Mac. Nice coin!

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Y'know, you could buy more of that nice Swiss material if you wouldn't be so distracted by that gem unc Brit rubbish.image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Wybrit, don't you wish....imageimageimage I'd be complaining too, were you and Da Mouse not playing way out of my league anyway!!!image Who can compete with the likes of a Buckin' Brit and a Wry Little Rodent??? Not to mention the occasional Avarice...image

...High Rollers all...

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I bet that the sweet toning on the reverse looks better in person image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Awesome coin!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Nice coin, good capture with the camera....
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I bet that the sweet toning on the reverse looks better in person >>

Dimitri, it sparkles and "dances", but it doesn't "break" plates! image
  • Options
    Great coin and great photo........image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options

<< <i>Y'know, you could buy more of that nice Swiss material if you wouldn't be so distracted by that gem unc Brit rubbish.image >>

Guess what, he did exactly the opposite, he got rid of all that Swiss rubbish to concentrate on Victorian ultra gems I believe. image

I was going through some old PMs and came across the link of this thread, so I thought, why not resuscitate it now that this franc has changed hands? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I bet that the sweet toning on the reverse looks better in person >>

Dimitri, it sparkles and "dances", but it doesn't "break" plates! image >>

I know. It doesn't break plates but it broke the hearts of my collector friends who had a chance to see it. PCGS MS67.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Looks like a nice crisp strike on the reverse.

Nice coin Mac. image
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin and a great pic image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Good work on that photo, and a stunner of a coinimage
  • Options
    My Dutch coin book lists a few Francs from when The Dutch were under French rule ( and I don't mean through wine ). image

The reverse on the 1 Francs is similar however the obverse features Napolean I facing right.

I note that the 20 Francs has Napolean facing left and that this coin is the only Gold specimen in the series.

All the pieces contain the edge description 'DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE' which I think means God Protects France but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I see a mintmark of B however in my book there are two B mintmarks for France, keep in mind that the above coin is dated 1901.

The two B mintmarks say:

1 ) Rouen ( 1786-1857 )

2 ) Beaumont le Roger ( 1943-58 )

Obviously 1901 falls right in between these dates - how can that be ?

Edit II: Let me hasten to add that the 'Dutch Francs' have a mintmark of a flag ( on the right ) these coins were minted in Utrecht ( 1811 - 14 ). Opposite the mintmark ( on the left ) is a fish.
  • Options
    Zar, this is a Swiss franc. I believe that the Strasbourg mint in France used a double BB for a while. This B here,corresponds to Bern,capital of Switzerland.

edited to add that Switzerland used the Brussels mint as well, again with a B mintmark followed by a dot:B.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Very sweet coin lad!