Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

1893-0 Pittman Barber dime pcgs 63 on ebay ends tonite!

For those of you who like your barbers (not stylists)...this coin is nicely toned, and in an old style pcgs holder...could be slider...plus the Pittman pedigree. Reserve is $500, hasn't been met last check, but I think it will go past. Thanks! Chuck
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• Options
    no linky
    Michael
  • Options
    Link

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Missed reserve by $9.50...thats got to suck
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey..........I was the top bidder and the auction description said there was no reserve!

Take a look!! I did not realize there was a reserve on this auction and was stunned to see this thread and on top of it to see the contradiction in terms of the auction itself.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>could be slider >>

This is not a good thing for a MS63 holdered coin.image
  • Options
    First time, I won this coin at $490.50 and it did not meet reserve.

The second time, I won the coin at $481 and there was no reserve.

Reasonably consistent bidding both time.

This is a good example of a pedigree not adding much, if any value to the coin/slab.
  • Options
    I received the coin and it is a nice solid MS-63. I am pleased.

Very attractive but dark enough for PCGS to keep it out of MS-64.
  • Options
    Could you conserve it through NCS and get the MS-64 grade with NGC?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    kiefer: Easily. Might even 65 with NGC. But not going to happen in this camp.

I can always have it dipped later on but what happens if original becomes the prized "sample coins" of tomorrow? image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a pretty coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks for the confirmation of my opinion, Oreville, and sorry again for my screw-up on the reserve thing....but it saved you a few bucks anyway! I still need to get better at imaging my coins to show their "true colors".....I just wish that the obverse on that dime had the same toning as the reverse - I agree that it may have graded out a good bit higher if the obverse wasn't quite so dark. But toning aside, details are very sharp - coin was/is easily a 63 and who knows if it would grade out higher now? But, again I agree with you that dipping would somehow take away a bit of the authenticity, and I'm sure somebody could go back to the original sale/auction catalog and see that it was a darker coin back then.....as we've seen many times, you can't get too much bullspit past the people on these forums!
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention that golddudtin was a gentleman of a seller and I already asked him about future auctions of his coins!

I will try to take a very detailed pic of the coin in question to practice and compare the pics.

I will post shortly.