Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: 3 of 6 Opus 146

Opus 146 THE THREE COUNTS SPEE (Drei Grafen von Spee), 1914, Cast AE, 105mm, Commemorating their death on December 8, 1914. Inscription on obverse "Heinrich, Maximilian, Otto, Count von Spee. - on the Scharnhorst the father an admiral, under his command a squadron small in number. The older son on the "Gneisenau' a lieutenant, Otto as such on the 'Nurnberg' at the Falkland Islands. On the high seas, German heroes found a grave, the three Counts Spee." Inscription on the reverse "December 8, 1914." Scarce

Reverse up close...Sorry for all of the dust!!

Comments

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    I wrote a reply on this Goetz before but I still love the eagle!!!!
    Shep
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    How can one not love that eagle? The medal is beautiful!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    How many of these beauties are you still hunting?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Well, he made approximately 700 medals so that leaves me with about 660 to look for.....actually less than that because I am only looking for the large cast bronze pieces that aren't classified as "satirical" (even though I own a few).
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Gorgeous Eagle!! I'm going to have to get me one of those!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Are there other versions of this same eagle in anthing smaller?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    So... what do you classify as "large" (I know I'm going to regret this image )...
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Elverno, for the most part 58mm or greater. All of Goetz's cast pieces are 58mm or better in size but to me 80mm or larger is where you separate the men from the boys. image

Cosmic, Although I've never seen one for sale, there is a struck, I assume silver, piece 45mm in size. This would make it a little larger than a silver dollar.
  • Options
    It's not the size, it's the amount of macaroni and cheese you ate to afford it! image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    mac & cheese? You don't know sacrifice... Top Ramen 12/$1.00 image
  • Options

<< <i>Cosmic, Although I've never seen one for sale, there is a struck, I assume silver, piece 45mm in size. This would make it about the size of a silver dollar. >>

That one would work for me. DOes it have it's own Keincast number?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    The same Kienast number (K-146), just struck.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>mac & cheese? >>

You talkin' 'bout a Scottish rodent? Please, not in the presence of Kraut stuff!!!! imageimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Relax, squeeky one. Mac and Cheese doesn't go too well with Sauerkraut....

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    45 mm is bigger than a silver dollar,even bigger than a silver eagle. I'll stick with the boys image
    Superb medal cacheman,although this eagle is frightening me image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3